Picky Kitties - How Important To Vary Proteins?

MaliCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our two kitties, Echo (10m) and Siren (6m), are turning out to be quite the picky eaters.

They both came from two different shelters, so transitioning them to more acceptable food has been a process. We got Echo at 5m and Siren at 10w.

They have a 50/50 blend of Young Again 50/22 and Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein chicken flavor available that they snack on occasionally. More when they don't like the canned/raw that is put down, less when they do. They're not the hardcore kibble eaters that my last cat was for much of her life.

I've tried the gamut of canned food using Dr. Pierson's spreadsheet to make sure the ratios were good. TikiCat, Weruva, etc all rejected. Merrick Backcountry pouches were eaten for a while, all but the fish flavor, but then they stopped eating most of that too. Some flavors they won't touch at all that they used to eat, even when rotating with the other flavors. Currently the only canned food they'll still clean the plate is Royal Canine Adult Instinctive and Intense Beauty slices. When I was feeding only canned, they got 6oz-ish (2 pouches or cans) 3x/day.

As their canned food options dwindled, I've been figuring out what raw they'll eat with the intention of switching to all raw. Freeze dried Stella & Chewy turkey was fine until almost the end of the small bag, then no go, freeze dried rabbit hard nope. Frozen S&C chicken is a no go (I don't blame them, it looks super gross compared to the chicken by RadCat or Rawr; it's grayish brown). Primal, NWN, Instinct all no go with various proteins. They're undecided on Small Batch beef sliders so far, but I hate the sliders because they're a pain to remember to thaw and don't thaw quickly.

So far the only consistent raw brands they'll eat are RadCat and Rawr (eatlikealion.com - they're local to me) but they love the chicken, and are only meh on turkey and duck. When I can get more options for RadCat (so obnoxious between Pet Food Express no longer being a vendor and the FDA playing games) I'll be trying out the other proteins since they had liked the beef several months ago when I was last able to buy it.

Does it matter if they end up settling on just one protein to eat consistently? Anything else I should try? Making the food myself is a last resort only because I have two young kids and can barely keep up with them, let alone needing to make food for the cats. :runaround:

Our two spoiled fluff butts: Echo (couch) and Siren (sink)
IMG_3700[1].JPG ATFTE1686[1].JPG

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope you get an answer from someone knowledgeable soon. I'm in the same boat with almost-six-month-old brothers. They love Rawr chicken (Central Coast here) and detest everything Radcat. They will nearly always eat Vital rabbit freeze dried. Anything venison, salmon-y, beef or lamb is a no-go. I'm currently trying them with pork and EZ complete because I'm worried about not enough variety for them.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Does it matter if they end up settling on just one protein to eat consistently?
I know that the conventional wisdom is that it's better to provide more than one protein, but one of my three will eat two things and two things only: chicken thighs that I grind, add liver and supplements, and freeze (yes, time consuming) and turkey made from the Small Batch Turkey Blend (ground meat/bones/organs) to which I add supplements and then freeze...and she isn't wild about the turkey. I usually have to put toppers on it. The other two will eat anything, but Iris gets chicken. And sometimes turkey. She seems happy with that, and if she eats, then I'm happy too. She's been eating that way for a year now.

Have you tried Rawz canned food? Mine do like that, and they've come out with some new flavors, too.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a nice load of proteins going on, but don't go for anything exotic due to costs and availability.
A few of our cats hate beef but love elk, so our rotation is chicken, turkey, occasional duck, rabbit, and elk.
As much as I hate to say it, Dr. Pierson (catinfo.org) recommends canning the dry food free feeding buffet if you want to expand your cat/kittens palate. If they have a constantly available food they've locked onto, odds are that they won't be interested in trying new stuff if they know their "available always" food is there to fill them up.
But..
If you work long hours and their age (kittens) is an issue with feeding, I wouldn't stop the free feeding just yet but continue to offer odd proteins, and lessen the free feeding as they grow to hopefully encourage them to keep trying new things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MaliCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried Rawz canned food? Mine do like that, and they've come out with some new flavors, too.
I actually just picked that up recently from our local independent shop to try. I got 4 of the flavors and they refused them all. I was particularly impressed with the beef can because it didn't stink and looked edible. They hate pates though. I've tried leaving them can shape, smashing them to the bottom of the dish, chunking them, and they refuse to eat them. Or eat a few bites and leave the better part of the can.

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Darn! I haven't bought Rawz canned because I can only get it online - by the case. I'd love to have it on hand for emergencies, but I can't risk buying a case of the stuff.

MaliCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As much as I hate to say it, Dr. Pierson (catinfo.org) recommends canning the dry food free feeding buffet if you want to expand your cat/kittens palate. If they have a constantly available food they've locked onto, odds are that they won't be interested in trying new stuff if they know their "available always" food is there to fill them up.
But..
If you work long hours and their age (kittens) is an issue with feeding, I wouldn't stop the free feeding just yet but continue to offer odd proteins, and lessen the free feeding as they grow to hopefully encourage them to keep trying new things.
Oh yeah, the goal is to not have any dry food. The one plus side is that it is of FAR better quality than the Purina dry & canned one shelter sent home.

But since they've been hit or miss with what they're willing to eat, I've left it out to make sure they're getting calories from somewhere so they're not missing an entire meal and then I give them a different option later. The vet was mildly concerned already that Siren hadn't gained as much weight as she expected when we went in for her last FRCP or whatever so I've been making sure that if they want food, they've got it.

MaliCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Darn! I haven't bought Rawz canned because I can only get it online - by the case. I'd love to have it on hand for emergencies, but I can't risk buying a case of the stuff.
You could check to see if See Spot Run would mail you a couple cans. Or it's a 3 hour drive I think depending on traffic if you happen to need to be in the Bay Area for anything.

MaliCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to go look. :) I bought the Dr. Elseys Clean Protein 6.6lbs in mid-May and the Young Again 50/22 8lbs in mid-June and haven't bought any more dry since. They still have just under 6lbs left and I'd imagine they'd be going through it faster if they were eating that to the exclusion of the other foods I've offered.

Echo is a trash hound. I adopted her the first day she was available at the shelter and they'd just gotten her off the streets. She'll go and scavenge whatever food the kids have left out before she eats the dry food. I caught her eating a hamburger patty the other day when I didn't clear the plates before taking the kids upstairs to bed. :nono: :ohwell:

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could check to see if See Spot Run would mail you a couple cans. Or it's a 3 hour drive I think depending on traffic if you happen to need to be in the Bay Area for anything.
Thanks for the See Spot Run heads-up! My daughter lives not so far from there and could pick up a can or three for me. The other places I've tried haven't had the cans or our timing is wrong and the store is closed.