Picky eaters

beka19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!
I am the mother of 2 house panthers, Bagheera and Onyx, who are incredibly picky eaters. I have tried multiple different flavors of food, and the only ones they like are beef or whitefish. I would love some suggestions about what good food brands are out there that would cater to their tastes. Bagheera is definitely the bigger eater, and it’s really starting to show, so suggestions on how to get his weight down a little would be most appreciated as well. I am open to fresh/refrigerated foods, but I am trying to be budget-friendly. Thanks!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello all!
I am the mother of 2 house panthers, Bagheera and Onyx, who are incredibly picky eaters. I have tried multiple different flavors of food, and the only ones they like are beef or whitefish. I would love some suggestions about what good food brands are out there that would cater to their tastes. Bagheera is definitely the bigger eater, and it’s really starting to show, so suggestions on how to get his weight down a little would be most appreciated as well. I am open to fresh/refrigerated foods, but I am trying to be budget-friendly. Thanks!
Hi 😊
First I had to laugh at house panthers because I always referred to mine as pygmy panthers lol.
Just a couple of questions that might help us narrow things down, how old are your kitties? How long have you had them and how long have they been on this current food? And are you feeding them wet or dry at the moment?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beka19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bagheera and Onyx are 2 weeks apart from separate litters, but they are a year and nine months old and I’ve had them since they were approx. 9 weeks. I started them on Performatrin kitten food, and occasionally wet food. When they were about 10 months old I switched them to Taste of the Wild that was a venison flavor (if I remember correctly), but it is no longer made. Since then I’ve tried different brands and flavors, but both of them are insistent on a red meat flavor, and will sometimes tolerate the whitefish.
I have tried wet food for them within the past year, but each time it seems to upset their stomachs, particularly Bagheera. I only give them wet food if I’m short on funds.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. You may have already tried this, but Fancy Feast - especially the pates - are decent food. They also have Fancy Feast Gourmet Naturals that I think are good too. I also think Purina Pro Plan True Nature is pretty good too. All of these are grain & vegetable free and meats are their primary ingredients. On the more pricey side are Sheba Perfect Portions and Nutro (also a perfect portion item), but again I am referring to mostly pate styles as that is all Feeby will eat. Although she won't eat either beef or whitefish, I know I have seen these flavors in all of my above suggestions. None of them are that high in caloric count either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beka19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI. You may have already tried this, but Fancy Feast - especially the pates - are decent food. They also have Fancy Feast Gourmet Naturals that I think are good too. I also think Purina Pro Plan True Nature is pretty good too. All of these are grain & vegetable free and meats are their primary ingredients. On the more pricey side are Sheba Perfect Portions and Nutro (also a perfect portion item), but again I am referring to mostly pate styles as that is all Feeby will eat. Although she won't eat either beef or whitefish, I know I have seen these flavors in all of my above suggestions. None of them are that high in caloric count either.
I have tried several different pâtés, gravy’s, or wet food variants, but they always end up bringing it back up, so I don’t think canned wet food is the way to go for my boys, unfortunately. They are currently eating Fancy Feast in the Filet Mignon flavor. I’m just super concerned about the weight my BagMan has put on, so again, anything helps.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats does not care for pate unless it has pieces of meat or extra flavoring so toppers like bonita flakes or freeze dried. Or cooked meat with ezcomplete. She is hard to Feed! Also tiki though expensive. Low carb