Picky Eater

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn’t a diet question but a cat question. So I caved and give into my twep’s fishy wet food demands. Buy 2 boxes of the fish Sheba perfect portions & 1 box of Sheba turkey/chicken/salmon. Now he is turning his nose up to it .... why?!?!! I stopped adding his probiotics to his dry food and add it to his wet food now. (Probiotics or not he does not want his wet!)I’m scratching my head here. I gave him a can of fancy feast beef with gravy and he ate it all up. Before he seemed to get sick of my b.f.f. Pouches to. :help:

:gaah:Why does he get bored with flavors? How do I prevent this?!? :rolleyes3: I want him to eat mainly wet food, not gorge himself on his new blue buffalo wilderness duck dry food darnit!!! What is it with cats liking one thing one week and hating it the next? :dunno:

* I used to wait him out only offering dry while I slept but this month he has almost unlimited access to dry food to see if helps bulk up my growing teen boy. If so he will get all the dry food he wants until 2 years old. I want him to get all the calories his growing body needs.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my cats’ case variety is the answer. I try to feed the same flavour/brand every 3 days or longer. Usually when the case is finished I don’t buy it straight away but only after several weeks to ensure they’ll miss it.
I actually understand it personally very well, I’d be bored if I had the same meal several times a week.
One of my cats was a kibble lover and I decided to take him off it before he was 1yo. But mine had a perfect weight and got to like the wet food pretty quickly, and I could give it to him frequently during the day. I don’t think he would accept the wet that easily if he had an access to dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy Jackie is about 1-2 pounds of muscle less than his brother. So I’m experimenting to see if more dry food makes difference or if Nick’s different genes are why. Or maybe Nick has/had more male hormones with his bigger balls? (Before he was neutered) :dunno: Jackie is all petite and Nick is all muscular.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
not gorge himself on his new blue buffalo wilderness duck dry food darnit!!!
Now I feel a bit bad suggesting the duck flavor in one of your prior threads!

As far as free-feeding dry, even for a growing kitty, I honestly don't see the need for this. I think you can still stick to scheduled feeding times, assuming they are at least 2x per day.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL 2! Try 4!!!!! (The perfect portions are just his meal size.) He is fed at 6am, noon, 6pm & midnight.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's very, veeeeeeery difficult to understand what they truly love and what they are only excited about over "Oh! New flavor!" Some things about my cat that might be hopeful!
  • If she likes a food, that says absolutely nothing the first 1-2 weeks. The first 1-2 weeks are not reliable AT.ALL.
  • She likes fish but ONLY if she eats it like once a month. She's also super picky about the type of fish.
  • Some food brands have no consistency in their food whatsoever. N&D wet foods for example, you always get different ingredients! With their fish foods, one can you get fish eye, the other can something else. Of course my cat isn't OK with all of them.
  • She dislikes wet foods that aren't in mousse/mousse-like form. She will still eat some but leave most of it.
  • She loves simpler foods far more. Her favorite is Naturea chicken wet food and THE only wet food she never got tired of. It has the most simple formula that I know in a wet food and the lightest smell.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn’t a diet question but a cat question. So I caved and give into my twep’s fishy wet food demands. Buy 2 boxes of the fish Sheba perfect portions & 1 box of Sheba turkey/chicken/salmon. Now he is turning his nose up to it .... why?!?!! I stopped adding his probiotics to his dry food and add it to his wet food now. (Probiotics or not he does not want his wet!)I’m scratching my head here. I gave him a can of fancy feast beef with gravy and he ate it all up. Before he seemed to get sick of my b.f.f. Pouches to. :help:

I'm truly at my wits end with Shaman. I have tried every food under the sun, have placed on flat plate, had a check with the vet, even ran through blender to make pate style and still she snubs the food. There is nothing wrong with the food I serve them as the other 3 (sometimes 4 if Shadow shows up) eat the food with no issues. Truly frustrated with this feeding situation with her. None of them have worms as Treasure was checked and Shaman is putting on weight although no idea how as she never leaves the yard which I know from my 24/7 cam. So I can totally relate with your situation.

:gaah:Why does he get bored with flavors? How do I prevent this?!? :rolleyes3: I want him to eat mainly wet food, not gorge himself on his new blue buffalo wilderness duck dry food darnit!!! What is it with cats liking one thing one week and hating it the next? :dunno:

* I used to wait him out only offering dry while I slept but this month he has almost unlimited access to dry food to see if helps bulk up my growing teen boy. If so he will get all the dry food he wants until 2 years old. I want him to get all the calories his growing body needs.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His pinkness liked the Sheba for 2 months but this month didn’t! So I give up trying to figure him out! I will just buy 3-4 brands with lots of flavors and mix it up.

* I hate saying this but the dry food seems to be filling him out a little bit more already! Picky little bastard! :rolleyes3: ATM he is eating half dry and half wet. Once he hits two years old I can take away the dry food. :anticipation:By then I will know he is finished growing.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly think that Shaman and Treasure are "picky" because they're spoiled. And that's my fault to be honest. The other cats seem to have no issues with the food. I can't be buying $50 worth of food a week or day if I gave in to them. And as I'm noticing, cats only eat a few bites at a time, go away and come back in an hour or two.

Another thought, but maybe your cat is suffering whisker fatigue? Try serving on a flat plate for awhile. Treasure eats more off a flat plate then a bowl. And Wichapi won't eat the food unless it's dumped on the ground. Go figure that one out. lol

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought of that. So I put his dry food on a plate. His wet food is always served in a saucer.

He is just spoiled! :rolleyes:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought of that. So I put his dry food on a plate. His wet food is always served in a saucer.

He is just spoiled! :rolleyes:
I think with these cats they're spoiled. And I honestly don't know much about the heat factoring in but does anyone know if cats are like us in that they don't want to eat as much when the weather is hotter? I know they tolerate heat better than us as they are originally a desert dwelling animal but curious if they lose a bit of hunger during excessive heat as I noticed Shaman and the other cats ate more during the cold weather than now. I never get an answer to this. haha

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If leave out dry food for my cat, I have a very hard getting him to eat wet. They get addicted...