Picky Dry Food Eater

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Daily Feeding routines:
(1) 1 can Fancy Feast (usually chicken,or beef,or liver&chicken pate) - she usually eats it all.
(2) 1/4 cup dry food - 'Go - Chicken/Turkey/Duck' - she's been noticeably eating less lately.
Here's the link: GO! SOLUTIONS CARNIVORE Grain Free Chicken, Turkey + Duck Recipe for Cats - Petcurean Pet Nutrition

I decided to try a new dry food, so picked up 'Go - Lamb & Wild Boar.'

The good news is she started eating some of this newer dry food almost immediately. I know, I should be mixing it, but she's not really eating the Chicken/Turkey/Duck food, so I'm experimenting here.

The questionable news, how's the ingredient list?
GO! SOLUTIONS CARNIVORE Grain Free Lamb + Wild Boar Recipe for Cats | Petcurean

There's Lamb (likely old mutton), followed by 3 fish ingredients, starches, then mr. boar.

------------------------------------------

Note: she used to be on 'Acana: Wild Prairie', or 'Orijen: Cat&Kitten'.
Both are chicken based I believe, but lost interest. This was over 2 years ago I think.

-------------------------------------------

There's a 30 days return policy as long as >50% of the food remains, so I can certainly try various other dry foods.

--------------------------------------------

Note: The pet store employee gave some pretty lousy advice. 'Don't give her options if she's picky, leave the food out for 3-4 days to see if she'll eat it. They can go that long no problem'.

Well, as far as I know. Some fatty liver issues could arise let alone other problems so I'd rather not let that happen. Granted she's still eating the 1 can of Fancy Feast a day.

----------------------------------------------

Note: I should mention, I've been using a kitchen weigh scale to measure her dry food consumption and it's been quite low. Thus the change to a new food.

------------------------------------------------

I can't really feed her 2 cans of Fancy Feast a day, as some evenings I'm not around to put out a fresh can.
Unless I put out 2 cans in the morning, I could try that - although 1 may go rock solid throughout the day.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get a timed feeder for the evening feeds? I'd rather see her fed two wet meals than any dry. There's so many inappropriate ingredients in dry food even that carnivore formula.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually I do have a timed feeder, that I used to use for my 1st cat (Boo) and that worked well enough (for dry).

It's battery based and swivels the open portions at timed intervals - wouldn't wet food in there, turn hard by 5-7 p.m., if placed in the morning?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use one myself because I don't think Krista would stick her face into one of those compartments. But I believe some of them have an ice-pack option that would keep the food fresher longer.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's battery based and swivels the open portions at timed intervals - wouldn't wet food in there, turn hard by 5-7 p.m., if placed in the morning?

It might get dry but that's ok:agree: Canned food is a cooked product so it won't spoil if left out all day. You can try adding water to the food to keep it moist longer. Or freeze canned food into serving sizes and put the frozen pieces into the feeder to slowly defrost. Do you have the Petsafe 5 compartment feeder or something similar? There's space in under the tray to put in a mini ice pack and that would help keep food fresher longer.

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It might get dry but that's ok:agree: Canned food is a cooked product so it won't spoil if left out all day. You can try adding water to the food to keep it moist longer. Or freeze canned food into serving sizes and put the frozen pieces into the feeder to slowly defrost. Do you have the Petsafe 5 compartment feeder or something similar? There's space in under the tray to put in a mini ice pack and that would help keep food fresher longer.
Those suggestions are brilliant thanks.
Yes - I have that Petsafe 5 compartment feeder (takes the monster 4xD batteries). You're right there is a compartment underneath. All my ice packs (even my little ones) are too thick to fit - I need to find a really thin one or something.

All I really need is 1 timer set (can't remember if that's possible) for 1 wet food rotation.

-----------------------------------------------------
OR
-----------------------------------------------------
I like your suggestion of putting out a frozen portion and then letting it thaw out throughout the day/evening. Surely that would prevent air drying as well. She won't touch wet food once it's dried up.

I'll try your suggestion of adding water to the food as well, to see if that slows down the drying out process.
Find out which my cat prefers.

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm biased against any dry food that has to use lentils, peas AND potatoes in one formula! But catfooddb has it rated highly Petcurean GO! Carnivore Grain Free Lamb + Wild Boar Recipe Cat Food Review

I have a grazer that gets her daily wet food in the morning. I use a Sure Pet Sealed Food Bowl and it keeps it moist all day :)
-------------------------------
I know - those ingredients of the GO! food leave something to be desired. Lots of starchy filler eh? If you think catfooddb is a reliable source then that's encouraging at least. Edit - amazing website - bookmarked.

-------------------------------
I saw that SureFeed Sealed Pet Bowl - that's an amazing looking thing. But I'll see if I can dust off the old 5 compartment PetSafe one I have.
Much prefer yours for the simplicity but rather not spend that cash at the moment
---------------------------------

The good news is - my cat ate 62.5% of the 1/4 cup of new GO! dry food I left out yesterday. At least that's something.
So, about ~ 88 kcal for the Fancy Feast + ~ 70 kcal dry = ~ 158 kcal.
She's exactly 12 pounds, so reasonably healthy weight.
-----------------------------------

2 x portions of wet would be ideal though, so I'll see what I can do with the suggestions given.

Last edited:

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah i got mine on Ebay for $20...or i wouldn't have one either lol

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes - I have that Petsafe 5 compartment feeder (takes the monster 4xD batteries). You're right there is a compartment underneath. All my ice packs (even my little ones) are too thick to fit - I need to find a really thin one or something.
Try those reusable ice cube mats. Or cold packs / bricks. I've seen mini ones that could fit into the feeder compartment.

All I really need is 1 timer set (can't remember if that's possible) for 1 wet food rotation.
You can set the feeder to just one meal if that's all you need :agree: