Picky cat will only eat tuna-flavored wet food

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I first got my cat, I was able to get her to eat a serving of Tiki Cat's salmon mousse every day, but she got sick of it after a few months and now refuses to touch it. I've had her try pretty much every pate/mousse/soup-textured food in Petco, but haven't been able to get her to start eating wet food again - the most she does is taste something then walk away. Right now she's on an all-dry diet (Dr Elsey's chicken Cleanprotein), and the only "wet food" she'll eat are Inaba's Churu treats - I give her the Chicken & Tuna flavor to minimize how much tuna she's eating. She is extremely picky, and will basically only eat food that's a similar texture to Churu.

I randomly decided to give her some wet food again today, and served her some Weruva's tuna-flavored Slide n' Serve with tuna-flavored Churu and a little water mixed in. She started eating it immediately and licked the plate clean, which I haven't seen her do in a year. I've tried other fish-flavored wet foods (like salmon, mackerel, scallop, etc) but she only seems to like tuna. I know fish is bad for them, and tuna's probably the worst, but I'd really like to start upping her water intake. She drinks a moderate amount every day, but isn't a big water drinker overall - I've tried fountains on her already but she won't go near them.

Would it be better to let her eat tuna on a regular basis or not feed her wet food at all?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You might get different opinions on this, but my cat vet always says that cats have to eat, so even if it is tuna, it is preferable to not eating enough or at all. Feeding only dry is not the best thing either; I realize that you are not doing this intentionally but I would let her eat the tuna flavored cat food (wet) for now while you possibly see if there is anything else she might like down the road. Do not waiver into human canned tuna as that will really create a problem and is not a complete source of nutrients for them. Cat food is at least balanced.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's a texture thing, try these smooth mousse-like foods:

You can also try mashing or pureeing pate canned food with water into a softer almost soupy texture.