Picky cat that will only eat fish flavored wet food

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My three cats currently eat dry Orijen cat & kitten and regional red. All are doing well and have no medical problems. My oldest boy is about 12 (never had any urinary issues) and I'd like to start incorporating more wet into his diet, however I'm having a terrible time finding wet food he'll eat that isn't primarily seafood.

He wont eat any raw for freeze dried foods (he used to eat stella and chewys fish flavored but now he refuses)

Wont eat pate

He wouldn't eat any of the Weruva flavors or flavored pouches. 

He doesn't like any Wellness 

The only wet food he'll eat right now is the tiki cat salmon and chicken and their other seafood flavors. 

At this point its pretty obvious he wont eat any wet that doesn't have some kind of seafood flavor mixed into it. 

I've read all the posts about why it's not recommended to give cats seafood flavored foods as their primary source but I don't see any other way to feed him wet food. Toppers don't work, I've basically tried everything. Are there any other high quality wet foods that don't have seafood as a primary ingredient but do have a little for taste? I don't really want to feed any lower quality food to him. Would it be that bad to give him some wet with seafood in it in the mornings and then dry in the evenings? The dry doesn't have seafood as the primary ingredient, but he likes them both. He's not eating a lot of the wet food right now, just a small amount. I don't plan to take him or the rest of the cats off their dry food entirely because they're doing well on it and always have. 

Thanks.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Nutro Natural Choice's canned foods? A lot of picky cats seem to like those. Our cats particularly love the minced chicken but they also like the sliced turkey, chunk loaf chicken, and chunky loaf turkey. If those fail, they also have some flavors with seafood; I think they have cod and/or salmon and/or shrimp. I'm not sure what the proportions are, though.

Good luck!

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What if you very gradually try to take one of the all chicken Tiki cat flavors..I think there are two of them...And add some of that to the chicken/salmon or chicken/tuna so that the amount of chicken over fish gradually increases....keep increasing chicken until he refuses it, back off until he eats it until you find the maximum chicken he will eat...Tiki cat fish is high quality so I think it's fine for him to have some...salmon better than tuna for the boy cat.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
have you tried mixing in just a small portion of the fish flavor with other flavors? Gives him some of the fish flavor without giving him a lot of fish. I have done this to get my picky cats to eat food they dont care for.