Picking A Tree For My Back Yard

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Two years ago our ancient pecan tree was struck by lightening and had to be cut. Since then I have begged hubby for another tree. He has finally agree. Now there are some limitations. The tree would be in the enclosed area for my cat. It is close to the house. Therefore those things need consideration when choosing. I have been reading about trees and find that many of them are some toxicities for cats. Most fruit seeds are included here. I don't think I would want a fruit tree as it might entice possums and coons to come over the fence. Dogwood berries are slightly toxic if a cat eats them.
My question here is do any of you have any similar situation where your cats are outside and exposed to trees. If so, what kind of tree.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're looking for a pretty one:
Japanese Maples of all kinds
Flowering Plum
Both are on the smaller side, won't grow too tall or wide.
Maybe a Pee Gee Hydrangea if it's in your zone. They can be trained to grow as a tree - we have one that is quite old and lovely and filled with blooms each summer. It's only about 15' high at most and not particularly wide either. Only thing is it does attract bees but that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 , tell us where your garden is; city (or county) and state (or province) is enough.

I used to run a garden shop and where you are is often crucial to what you can and can't plant. That you had a pecan and considered a dogwood suggests you're somewhere in the southeastern United States, though both will grow elsewhere.

It appears you also want something small.

In any event, please advise, and I can help you pick one. This is time to plant, in the fullness of spring . . . .

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lilac tree or bush. They are non-toxic and smell fantastic!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats are exposed to Maple trees and a Japanese Cherry tree. Have had no issues.
This is very helpful since you have cats that actually live amongst these trees. Some maples and some fruit trees are listed as potential problems for cats if they eat the leaves or the seeds. I am not sure about these but I will check.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My big fella lives with a purple and a white lilac bush - he loves them both and rubs on them, and even will nibble on a leaf. I double-checked the first time I saw it, with a vet and the poison society - no ill effects :)

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 , tell us where your garden is; city (or county) and state (or province) is enough.

I used to run a garden shop and where you are is often crucial to what you can and can't plant. That you had a pecan and considered a dogwood suggests you're somewhere in the southeastern United States, though both will grow elsewhere.

It appears you also want something small.

In any event, please advise, and I can help you pick one. This is time to plant, in the fullness of spring . . . .
I live in planting zone 8 a in the country. I am hesitant to plant a fruit tree as it would entice raccoons and possums. I looked at the lilacs. The trees grown too tall. The planting area is not very large and the tree would be within close proximity to my house. The pecan tree that was there was really a source of worry during the hurricanes that we get. I don't want anything that grows more than 10 to 15 foot tall. I hope this give enough information for you to help me
doomsdave doomsdave . Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
While lilacs can grow tall, you can also keep them pruned to the size you want. Pruning will also make them bushier and help them grow more blooms. Gosh, the smell of lilacs is simply intoxicating.

I can't say much about trees and such because our cats don't go outside. Mollipop may go out in my arms, but that's about it. I'm not up on which trees are poisonous for kitties.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am looking for a tree, not a bush. We were thinking of a pink dogwood, but I have read the berries are not safe for cats and dogs. I have read that hydrangeas are toxic to cats, not sure about lilacs.

Last edited:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in planting zone 8 a in the country. I am hesitant to plant a fruit tree as it would entice raccoons and possums. I looked at the lilacs. The trees grown too tall. The planting area is not very large and the tree would be within close proximity to my house. The pecan tree that was there was really a source of worry during the hurricanes that we get. I don't want anything that grows more than 10 to 15 foot tall. I hope this give enough information for you to help me
doomsdave doomsdave . Thank you.
The USDA Zone is a start, but isn't the full climactic picture. USDA Zones are catalogued by the minimum temperatures for an area. Such data can conceal as much as reveal.

All that said, I'll assume that you're in the southeastern U.S., and you don't have to say any more if you don't want to. (The hurricanes are the biggest clue.)

The pecan that had been there suggests that you have good soil, and that the drainage is good. That can be a big, huge deal sometimes, and great to NOT have to worry about.

I'd do more homework on the toxicity issue about dogwood berries; I'd ask a vet if you can. The reason is that a dogwood appears to be a close to ideal tree for your situation. The blossoms in spring are very pretty and some have nice fall color, too.

Mild toxicity in berries isn't that much of a problem; cats don't eat everything in sight the way dogs do. For better or worse, I've found them far more finicky. That said, I laud your efforts to be a good mom to your cats. If a vet confirms toxicity, there are other choices.

Ornamental pears, cherries and peaches are also possibilities. Most of those stay small and, if they have fruit, it isn't poisonous.

Another possibility is Lagerstromia indica, the crape myrtle; the flowers are pretty and the tree stays small for decades. The bark is also pretty. The seed pods aren't that messy, and I doubt cats would be interested in eating them. Crapes are one of my favorite trees and they'll do well in your climate, too. I'll bet there's some in your 'hood that might have seen in flower.

Lagerstroemia - Wikipedia

Let us know what you do, and keep us apprized of what happens. Your experience will add to the body of knowledge that benefits us all.

Crape myrtle pictured below, in Maryland. That one's a big shrub, but you can buy them as "standards" i.e., single-trunked trees, though you might have to trim basal shoots once in a while.

1280px-Crepe_Myrtle.jpg

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Take a look at a Pagoda Dogwood. They don’t get too high, lovely shape, easy to care for. They get tiny berries but nothing, including the birds seem to be interested in them.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember when I was a kid we would go to see my Grandmother in southern Missouri. There was a special drive through an area with a lot of dogwoods. Someone had planted them on both sides of the road. I don't know which kind they were but they didn't get huge but were definitely a tree not a shrub. They had the white blossoms with red points on the corners of each petal. The folklore was that the dogwood was used for Jesus cross which is why the flowers were shaped the way they were, two longer petals and two shorter ones , and the red points. The story was that the tree was ashamed of how it had been used which is why it never got very big. Pure fiction of course but they were pretty small trees.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love dogwoods but the pretty ones don't grow here (or in Jerusalem :tongue:). I'd definitely plant them if they'd survive.

I do love Japanese maples too but they probably get too big for your purposes.