Physical Rehabilitation Excersises

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went to our vet with our new adopted kitty Lily for a stubborn URI that she has been battling since we adopted her (previously she was seeing the shelter's vet).
As this was her first visit, we gave them all her health history (as much as we could) and had physical exam.
Lily is a very small cat at only 6 Lbs. She is 2, and has been spayed. She was a rescue, brought into the shelter pregnant, had her litter and they were all healthy and I was told she was a very good mom.
My vet mentioned though that she believes her pregnancy took a toll on her. She says that her weight is OK for her size (fat wise - has a waist, no ribs etc...) but that she has lost (or maybe never had enough to begin with) muscle mass in her spine and a bit in her hind legs. So I was wondering if anyone has had experience with rehab exercises, specifically for the spine. I have done rehab for hind legs before as my other kitty (RIP) had CKD and significant muscle wasting in the legs, but I'm not a familiar with specific exercises that can help strengthen the spine.
Any tips would be great.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Would there be any way you could simulate the motion of swimming, and running, where the spine/her back, (shoulders and hips) are bending?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could your vet contact a vet who specializes in physical rehab for suggested exercises?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could your vet contact a vet who specializes in physical rehab for suggested exercises?
I had thought about that, as we do have an orthopedic animal hospital and rehab center about 2 hours away from us. I just question how willing they would be to give out rehab advice without doing their own assessment.
I'm going back to the vet in a couple of weeks for a followup, I was planning on asking her then anyway, but thought I could get a head start.

could simulate the motion of swimming, and running,
I'll have to think about that one.:think:
:thumbsup:
We are still working on her fears, so whatever I do has to be fun for her.
I may just have to let her build muscle in due time with normal play and stimulation, but I really want her to start thriving, she's been thru so much already.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I may just have to let her build muscle in due time with normal play and stimulation,
Can you have her chase things up onto, and down from, couches, chairs and then higher platforms/shelves and up and down cat trees?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because of her fears, the only time she runs is if she is running away, otherwise she tends to curl up on herself and cowers.
Don't get me wrong, she has come a LONG way and no longer cowers to our touch, lets me pick her up without hiding her head and belly, and she does seek us out for affection, but only if we are sitting and relaxing. She is the sweetest thing and loves to cuddle, and exposes her belly for rubs and all that, but has some fears of being on the floor and people walking around, so to get her to chase anything at this point will not work. So far we have managed to get her play if we dangle something over her while she is on our bed or the couch, but she does not chase, just bats at it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gotcha, so , ...hmmm.
If she'll bat at something, maybe that will eventually progress to using a kickaroo...anyway, that's the motion I think you're looking for, the movement a cat goes through when using a kickaroo.

MizLizzie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good for you for giving her such good care. Our shy girl likes her tall cat tree. It has carpet and nooks and crannies for her to hide in. Maybe something like that to climb would give Lily some exercise and her back legs and give her a safe space? Good luck. She sounds wonderful. Shy cats really do make the most rewarding pets.