Phosphorus In Instinct Canned Food?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if anyone has any up to date info on the amount of phosphorus in Instinct (original) canned foods, specifically the rabbit and chicken varieties. Tanya and Dr. P’s lists give conflicting info. Tanya says the dmb value for the rabbit version is 1.00, but Dr. P’s list says more than 300mg per 100kcal so that doesn’t seem right.

Tried contacting the company but haven’t gotten a response yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Received a response from the company and they ended up sending me a table of values for most of their canned foods. I thought I would share:

INSTINCT CANS FELINE PHOSPHORUS
Dry Matter

Chicken

1.4%

Beef
1.22%

Duck
1.28%

Lamb
1.28%

Rabbit
1.30%

Venison
1.92%

Salmon
1.83%

Limited Ingredient Diet Duck
1.70%

Limited Ingredient Diet Turkey
1.30%

Limited Ingredient Diet Rabbit
1.23%

Ultimate Protein Chicken
1.42%

Ultimate Protein Rabbit
1.18%

Kitten Chicken
1.45%

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Edit: ignore this post. Didn't mean to post here! Sorry.

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're right! Her Instinct LID values are off by quite a bit. Ugh, that was going to be one that I added.
I'm not sure what number I want to stay under. Georgia is only 10 months old so I'm wondering if the lower phosphorous I feed her will delay CKD onset. I'm thinking of sticking below .8.
I guess for now I'll stick with Rad Cat and Weruva.
I'll keep you posted if I find anything new.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're right! Her Instinct LID values are off by quite a bit. Ugh, that was going to be one that I added.
I'm not sure what number I want to stay under. Georgia is only 10 months old so I'm wondering if the lower phosphorous I feed her will delay CKD onset. I'm thinking of sticking below .8.
I know I was so bummed when they sent me the new phosphorus values. My girl is young too and I think I’m going to feed mainly Rad Cat and Weruva but maybe throw in a bit of primal, pride, and Ziwipeak every now and then for variety.

Yes let’s please keep each other updated on any new finds!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just realized that this is where our posts from the other thread ended up.. haha.

I was thinking about your posts and I actually wanted to mention that since your girl is so young I personally don't think you should go too low in phosphorus levels. I would try to stay around .8. It's a bit tricky because kittens need phosphorus to grow, so I wouldn't restrict it too much, unless of course a vet has given you direction to do so. I think you're doing good by sticking with Weruva and RadCat, but I would stick with flavors that are around the .8 mark. I know Rad Cat has some that are around .50 but I wonder if that's too low for a kitten.

MalenKaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thinking of trying out Instinct LID for our senior who has digestion issues. What's the concern with phosphorus levels?

MalenKaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thinking of trying out Instinct LID for our senior who has digestion issues. What's the concern with phosphorus levels?
New enough that I'm not sure yet how to edit posshould be ts, if it's even possible, so my edit is here:

Just read up on phosphorus content, and see it's related to Kidney Disease. I'm wondering how much of a concern this should be for her case. I'm still reading up, but it seems her issues are digestion related only (long hair, 16 YO). Having lost one cat to renal failure we've had concerns about KD with her as well. Her last bloodwork (3 months ago) didn't show anything out of the ordinary, but she has seemed to be drinking and urinating more since then, and I know kidney disease onset can pop up pretty quickly.

For those with experience trying to keep P levels low, given the available LID foods available, do you think it will be too difficult to try and weed out potential "allergens" while managing Phosphorus levels too?