Phosphorus As Fed

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Can someone please link or tell me what type of phosphorus limit a older cat with beginning kidney failure issues should be consuming on a as fed basis?
Is that possible? None of the companies I was calling had the dry basis readily available.
Thank you!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But that calculator doesn't say anything about phosphorus calculation??

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
You just enter the phosphorus as fed value into “quantity” field and the moisture as fed value into the “moisture” field. It will then give you the dmb value of the quantity you entered. Dmb just means that the amount of moisture is not taken into account. You can’t set a baseline for the amount of phosphorus based on the as fed value because it will vary from product to product based on how much moisture is in it.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the explanation.

So basically, would you say I'd get a better idea about comparing phosphorus in foods by having a dry matter basis calculation?

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, we have an appointment tomorrow.

I have been all over Tanya's website, but it is a lot of information.
I'm sure the question I've has been asked many times, but thank you for being nice, as this is confusing and I'm terrible at math.

My vet is tricky, good for medical knowledge, but he the kind of vet that recommends standard vet nutrition knowledge.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When called blue buffalo to get their dry phosphorus content, they said they could only tell me their as fed, with as 0.55% for the Minced Adult Chicken and Trout.

Would you see that as a bad sign about their product? Several other similar brands had no trouble with providing me with the dry basis today.
Is there any math formula that you know of that gives a ball park estimate of dry matter phosphorus?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When called blue buffalo to get their dry phosphorus content, they said they could only tell me their as fed, with as 0.55% for the Minced Adult Chicken and Trout.

Would you see that as a bad sign about their product? Several other similar brands had no trouble with providing me with the dry basis today.
Is there any math formula that you know of that gives a ball park estimate of dry matter phosphorus?
Subtract the moisture percentage from 100. Divide the as fed phosphorus percentage by the amount you got from the previous calculation.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise

There are many reasons I dislike Blue Buffalo, but yes, that’s not a good thing that they refused to give it to you.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Subtract the moisture percentage from 100. Divide the as fed phosphorus percentage by the amount you got from the previous calculation.
You don't happen to have an example or be good at math? I'm so confused... but my cat loves that flavor right now.
Here's what I got:
1 - 0.82 moisture = 1.22

1.22 / 0.055 = 221.8

I feel like I did it wrong... percentages change to whole or decimal points...

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are many reasons I dislike Blue Buffalo, but yes, that’s not a good thing that they refused to give it to you.
Yes, the fillers aren't good, but it was a good stepping stone from the junk wet food.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You don't happen to have an example or be good at math? I'm so confused... but my cat loves that flavor right now.
Here's what I got:
1 - 0.82 moisture = 1.22

1.22 / 0.055 = 221.8

I feel like I did it wrong... percentages change to whole or decimal points...
Oh, wait, if you convert 221.8 to a percentage, it looks like 2.21%. Which looks similar to what a dry matter result would look like !

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where did you get 78 from? Would you say 5.6% is a high phosphorus number?
Oh sorry I was just using the most common moisture content I've seen. For you it would be:

100-82=18

1.22/18= 6.7%

Are you sure the 1.22 is the as fed basis and not the DMB? Because 6.7% dmb is awfully high. 1.6% and below is what I would call "lower" phosphorus on a DMB.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh sorry I was just using the most common moisture content I've seen. For you it would be:

100-82=18

1.22/18= 6.7%

Are you sure the 1.22 is the as fed basis and not the DMB? Because 6.7% dmb is awfully high. 1.6% and below is what I would call "lower" phosphorus on a DMB.
Originally I converted the percentages to decimals so that's how I got this:
1 - 0.82 moisture = 1.22
1 =100% , .82 = 82%

The as fed percentage that the company gave me was .55%

I'm not sure about what I'd call that calculation here...