Phosphorous Levels For Merrick's Limited Ingredient Canned Food

Cara80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I contacted Merrick requesting phos levels for my cat with ibd and kidney disease. I thought i'd post the info here in case anyone else has a cat with both issues or if you have a senior cat and just feel it's important for your cat to not consume high amounts of phosphorous

Can Cat Food - LID
Phosphorus dry matter analysis %

Limited Ingredient Diet Grain Free Chicken 1.90

Limited Ingredient Diet Grain Free Duck 0.80

Limited Ingredient Diet Grain Free Salmon 1.09

Limited Ingredient Diet Grain Free Turkey 1.37

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Only a vet can determine whether your cat needs less phosphorus or not. DO NOT assume just because your cat is old, it should start eating a diet with lower levels of certain nutrients such as phosphorus.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cara80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Daisy, the phosphorous levels in all of those foods are healthy and not restricted. Only the .5 phosphorous levels in prescription kidney food are inappropriate for a cat without kidney disease.

Personally I would not feed a senior cat a food high in phosphorous because it's so common for cats over 15 to develop CKD, and it's not detectable in tests until over 50% function is lost

Last edited:

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Cara, I was saying phosphorus intake reduction is only advisable when the cat has a CRF diagnosis because healthy senior cats need a normal amount. The vet clinic I take Daisy to has a rule that all cats ages 10 and up get annual blood tests even if they seem healthy and has an in-house lab.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think C Cara80 is suggesting phosphorus reduction in the sense of feeding lower amounts of phosphorus than what is required for a typical adult cat. I think she’s just noting that it’s good to not feed foods too high in phosphorus for senior cats because of the prevalence of kidney disease. But, they would still be getting adequate/normal amounts according to AAFCO guidelines. I think this is smart. :thumbsup: