Phone Scammer Fun

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Me too! I would not reply in a manner he could respond to 😂. He wanted to know if I was on a home phone or cell phone and I said yes, and he said which and I said the phone! I said “which one is he on?” And he said “I only have a couple of questions and is this Sasha, and I yes, what is your name? And he told me a name. I asked him if he was democrat or republican. He said “thank you for answering the questions” he hung up! I just turned it around to him and he hated it! 👍🏼 Mission accomplished...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me too! I would not reply in a manner he could respond to 😂. He wanted to know if I was on a home phone or cell phone and I said yes, and he said which and I said the phone! I said “which one is he on?” And he said “I only have a couple of questions and is this Sasha, and I yes, what is your name? And he told me a name. I asked him if he was democrat or republican. He said “thank you for answering the questions” he hung up! I just turned it around to him and he hated it! 👍🏼 Mission accomplished...
Well Done :lolup:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few years ago, I was dealing with the IRS because of my ex-husband. A scammer called and left a message (I only answer my phone for people I know), so when they called back, I answered, expecting to be talking to the IRS about my very real IRS issue. Within seconds, I realized it was a scammer. Thankfully, I had not given them any information, but it turned ugly quickly. The man eventually started threatening to come and harm me. Of course, I knew he was likely at an Indian call center, based on his accent, so I was not afraid. I did keep him on the phone for a long time and kept calling him back so that he did not have the time to actually scam someone else. I ended up reporting it to the police and the FTC.

My sister's mother-in-law lost a couple thousand after she was scammed and they locked her computer. They also began using her number to call people, including me. I do not speak with that sister and I do not like her mother-in-law, so I called my other sister and told her about it because I was angry that the mother-in-law had called me. That is when she told me about the scam and the spoofing.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband is very good at it. Whenever he receives a scam call, my husband would engage in conversation that will have the caller hung up the phone on him, and then right after he'd look at me and ask, "What did I do?" :lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I got the phone call about Windows (this was several years ago). I played along for quite a while, being very "stupid". "I have a Windows problem? But my Windows are fine; I'm looking out a Window right now!" And so on and so on. He called me a "dumb word-that-rhymes- with-witch" and hung up.

I got the phone call about wanting to loan me money. And how much money could I use? "Oh, I need at least $75,000!" said in a very breathy voice. "What did you say?" "Oh, at least $75,000 to get me out of debt! Oh, please sir, would you help me?" He hung up.

And the call about the Sheriff's Association? "Oh, but my husband is a policeman. Please give me your number and I'll have him call you right away!" *click*

And on and on.

I never, EVER say "Yes" to a scammer. When they say, "Who am I talking to?" I respond with, "Well, hey you called me! You should know!" But really, if I don't know the number now? I don't answer the phone anymore. Most of them are robocalls now anyway. Until I retired, I didn't realize just how many people still call our house phone. We never answer the house phone anymore either.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get dozens of calls each week. But with Caller ID, I only answer those I know. But one day, I got a call every 45 minutes from my name and number! It was too annoying, so I finally took my landline off the hook for several hours. That stopped it. I also blocked a number last week that again was calling every hour or so, and they stopped calling.

The FTC can't do anything about these calls. There are just too many of them, and no real way to trace the call when they spoof other numbers.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't bother with them. If you answer the phone, they know it is a legit number and will keep calling regardless of what you say to them. They have heard it all and do not care. They also sell your number to other scammers so talking smack, being a wisebottom or anything else is just a waste of time. Don't answer the call and block the number. I do that. I do get a call now and then but the number has dropped significantly since I stopped answering any call from any number I do not know. If the call is legit/important, they will leave a message.

ETA: I also have the Hiya app on my phone (it's free) and it identifies a lot of scam numbers. We do not have a landline.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get that many in a month. I simply don't answer it and then block the number.
Same. I never answer my phone unless I actually know the number or I am expecting a call. The number(s) that used to call me the most were actually from the Red Cross because I'm a blood donor. I don't even mean like a "normal" amount of times of them calling me, it was at least 5 times a day just from them. I finally went to their website and requested they never contact me again. I don't get calls from them anymore, thank God.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got rid of our home phone because of those callers too. They would always start calling when the kids and I would sit down for school. I’m protective over my cell number too.

I think the most I’ve done is pretend I couldn’t hear them when someone called and I answered. I don’t usually. Now I mostly get texts. The other day it was a picture of a qr code they wanted me to snap on my secondary device. I reported it to my cell carrier because they were trying to impersonate them. They sent it to me 4 times in a row. 🤪

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually got the Social Security scammer to say F you before he hung up on me.
That's not hard at all. Their first impulse is to swear and insult you once they figure out you know they're scammers. My mom once asked one if he kissed his momma with that mouth and he insulted his own mother. I'm not sure what they think they'll gain by being insulting and foul-mouthed.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's not exactly a scam, but there's a funny AT&T story out there if you Google:

'is this AT&T?'

I would post it here but it's a little long. Easy to find though :)