Petsmart discontinuing several brands of canned food !

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to Petsmart yesterday looking for canned food for my cats to try and I saw lots of " Reduced To Clear " tags. I inquired and was told all of the brands with those tags will no longer be sold at Petsmart  . I don't know if this is all Petsmarts though . But mine will no longer sell  Sheba , Meow Mix ,  Great Choice 3 oz cans ,

Authority ( some varieties ) ,  Friskies ( some varieties ) , Royal Canin ( some varieties )  .  I was told they are going to focus on the more expensive all natural brands ..  I understand the concept but  it does make it more difficult for people on a strict budget to feed a wet diet to their cats when there are no cheaper brands available ..

Luckily for me I have LOTS of pet store available to me ..

Oh , I picked up a couple cans of Science Diet ( Savory Seafood Minced , Savory Chicken Minced )  and my cats loved it  . We will see how it goes .. 

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I went to Petsmart yesterday looking for canned food for my cats to try and I saw lots of " Reduced To Clear " tags. I inquired and was told all of the brands with those tags will no longer be sold at Petsmart  . I don't know if this is all Petsmarts though . But mine will no longer sell  Sheba , Meow Mix ,  Great Choice 3 oz cans ,

Authority ( some varieties ) ,  Friskies ( some varieties ) , Royal Canin ( some varieties )  .  I was told they are going to focus on the more expensive all natural brands ..  I understand the concept but  it does make it more difficult for people on a strict budget to feed a wet diet to their cats when there are no cheaper brands available ..

Luckily for me I have LOTS of pet store available to me ..

Oh , I picked up a couple cans of Science Diet ( Savory Seafood Minced , Savory Chicken Minced )  and my cats loved it  . We will see how it goes .. 
I think most of those brands you can buy at your grocery store or a Walmart so I'm glad to see they will focus on hopefully a better variety of brands. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sheba, Meow Mix and Friskies are all available at Wal Mart and unless Petsmart is having a sale or is offering a % off coupon, WM is cheaper. My Petsmart usually has a better selection of Friskies though and lately, all my cats have been liking it a lot. I planned to go to Petco tonight because they have a 20% off coupon available on their site that is also available to use in store which they very rarely do. They usually run online only sales. http://www.petco.com/   I might hit Petsmart on the way home since Petco is on the way to WM to do my regular shopping and I have to pass Petsmart on the way home from there. Petsmart has been selling Friskies and some other brands buy 30 cans, get 2 free. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, its probably smarter for them to focus on brands that aren't generally available at regular stores. I always make them price-match Friskies (with a Walmart receipt) when I buy it there anyway :D.

I need to go pick up some of those clearance deals!

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Sheba, Meow Mix and Friskies are all available at Wal Mart and unless Petsmart is having a sale or is offering a % off coupon, WM is cheaper. My Petsmart usually has a better selection of Friskies though and lately, all my cats have been liking it a lot. I planned to go to Petco tonight because they have a 20% off coupon available on their site that is also available to use in store which they very rarely do. They usually run online only sales. http://www.petco.com/   I might hit Petsmart on the way home since Petco is on the way to WM to do my regular shopping and I have to pass Petsmart on the way home from there. Petsmart has been selling Friskies and some other brands buy 30 cans, get 2 free. 
Are you sure you can use the coupon in the store?   It says for online shopping.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, its probably smarter for them to focus on brands that aren't generally available at regular stores. I always make them price-match Friskies (with a Walmart receipt) when I buy it there anyway

I need to go pick up some of those clearance deals!
Yeah , they had some good prices .  I think the Great Choice cans were .37 cents .. Yeah I understand the concept of them going for higher end brands but I think it would make it more difficult for people on a tight budget if Petsmart is all they have available . 

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah  Walmart does sell all 3 brands but not a big variety .  The Walmart where I live only sells 3 flavors of Sheba only a few varieties of Friskies .  I guess it all depends on location ..

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yeah  Walmart does sell all 3 brands but not a big variety .  The Walmart where I live only sells 3 flavors of Sheba only a few varieties of Friskies .  I guess it all depends on location ..
Same here. My WM used to carry all the Sheba pates and some of the cuts. Since the Perfect Portions came out, they cut back on all the canned ones that they carry. 
 I buy the PP but only with a coupon and use them as snacks. Coupons.com has a coupon now for the PP buy 3 get 1 free. I'll buy a few tonight to keep in the pantry

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Same here. My WM used to carry all the Sheba pates and some of the cuts. Since the Perfect Portions came out, they cut back on all the canned ones that they carry. 
 I buy the PP but only with a coupon and use them as snacks. Coupons.com has a coupon now for the PP buy 3 get 1 free. I'll buy a few tonight to keep in the pantry
Yeah , I have that coupon too  . Plus I have coupons for Buy 5 Get 5 Free , Buy 10 Get 10 Free .. Too bad my cats will not eat it .. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah , they had some good prices .  I think the Great Choice cans were .37 cents .. Yeah I understand the concept of them going for higher end brands but I think it would make it more difficult for people on a tight budget if Petsmart is all they have available . 
They have to buy their people food somewhere :tongue2:, and grocery stores usually have the cheaper foods.

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mother in law who works at Petsmart hasn't mentioned this so it must not be happening at my location. The problem for me would be that I need to buy 3 cases of Friskies a month in 3 specific flavors and I'd have to make several trips to Walmart every time they restock to be able to buy it there. 

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My mother in law who works at Petsmart hasn't mentioned this so it must not be happening at my location. The problem for me would be that I need to buy 3 cases of Friskies a month in 3 specific flavors and I'd have to make several trips to Walmart every time they restock to be able to buy it there. 
Exactly  , sure all of those brands may be available at Walmart & Supermarkets but they don't have the large variety ( as least not in my area ) that a pet store has .  I guess the whole point of my original post was that I think it is sad that Petsmart is removing a lot of the affordable brands from the store . 

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

yes my walmart has cut back on a lot of the flavors too. 

juliacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I couldn't find Innova when I went over there several days ago.