Petco's Newest Foods Now

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went in Petco this past week and found they are now carrying Merrick and BG (before grain) in canned foods (not sure if there was dry on the bottom of the shelf). I picked up one of each to test on the cats - quail/chicken and a beef one.

The cats LOVE it and its the same price per can as the Natural Balance and Blue Buffalo, so I'll add them to my list of canned foods.

Will compare prices on the dry next time.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to petco on friday and saw they had a endcap of bg wet/dry. got 2 cans for moms cats to try they loved it to-the one cat usually just licks the gravy but ate this food.

I know petco has some promo for dry they do anything similar for canned/cases?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure - just know it was the same price as the BB and Wellness cans.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will have to check them out. Confusing thing though is that by me the Wellness is far more expensive than any flavor of Natural Balance... hmmm.

Speaking of price, Petco is literally within jogging distance of my house, but unfortunately around here at least they are so overpriced compared to Petsmart. Every time they have a sale or coupon, I'm like, wait, this is the same price as regular on my last Petsmart receipt. Ugh.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Will have to check them out. Confusing thing though is that by me the Wellness is far more expensive than any flavor of Natural Balance... hmmm.

Speaking of price, Petco is literally within jogging distance of my house, but unfortunately around here at least they are so overpriced compared to Petsmart. Every time they have a sale or coupon, I'm like, wait, this is the same price as regular on my last Petsmart receipt. Ugh.
Petco is more expensive here too (and the store isn't as clean). Petsmart is upping its game with food selection, but that was the one thing Petco had going for it.

Wellness is pretty much always more expensive than Natural Balance, it's considered more of a premium brand overall than NB. I like Wellness a lot, but it's a little overpriced.

howard18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Petco is more expensive here too. Sometimes they'll have better prices than Petsmart--Nutro Max was on sale for $20/16 lb bag for a while--but usually they are overpriced. $17 for a bag of Purina Cat Chow? Who would pay that? The whole reason to feed that stuff is that it's $10 at wal mart.
Petco does have a better food selection though. No NB, Solid Gold, C&P, Halo, CORE, probably more, at the Petsmart around here. Petco had them all.
At least Authority is a decent, affordable brand of food.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was talking about the price on the canned food - not the dry food.

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't bought the BG (canned) in a while because Kody got tired of it, but just want to point out to remember that it is not a "complete" food (or didn't use to be), so be sure it is not the only food you feed.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed them dry, canned and raw - and vary the brands in canned, so they do get a variety and complete balanced diet

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, this info was already posted - I'll keep the "research" here incase someone might want to read more on it. duh, I feel so ....

On one online store (http://gotpetfood.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1663)

the product information states that it's not a complete & balanced diet and that you'll need to supplement it .... as follows:

Before Grain B.G. vy Merrick Grain Free Canned Cat Food Quail 24/3.2 oz.

We didn't waste an ounce of space in our Before Grain Canned Cat Food 100% meat cans with fillers, grains or preservatives. This product is 100% quail, and is a healthy way to deliver additional premium protein to your pet's diet. You can feed our Before Grain 100% Quail entree as an incredibly edible main course, or mix with Before Grain dry kibble to create the ultimate culinary symphony of flavor and nutrition.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min.) 9.00%
Crude Fat (Min.) 5.00%
Crude Fiber (Max.) 1.2%
Moisture (Max.) 78.00%
Calorie Content
1079 kcal/kg - A 3.2 oz. can provides 97 kcal of metabolizable energy, calculated value.
Ingredients:
Quail, Water for Processing
This product is for supplemental feeding only and is not intended to be a complete and balanced diet.

<><><><><><>>>>
However, when I go to their website, (http://www.beforegrain.com/) they're advertising that it is now a "Complete and Balanced Diet" - so - I guess you just have to make sure that you get the newer product that you don't have to supplement. (?)

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is good to know as I was planning on ordering some BG Quail online but I'll go price compare there first, I've been meaning to give it a try anyhow and I'll be in that area on another errand anyway..thanks!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a shame that we seem to pay so much partly for the container and the vast majority about 80% just being plain old water.

Wonder why they can't make big squeeze packets of the stuff with 90% of the water squeezed out, and you just add a set amount of water and mix before serving, then just reseal the bag and throw it in the fridge.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Its a shame that we seem to pay so much partly for the container and the vast majority about 80% just being plain old water.

Wonder why they can't make big squeeze packets of the stuff with 90% of the water squeezed out, and you just add a set amount of water and mix before serving, then just reseal the bag and throw it in the fridge.
There are similar items to what you describe readily available and most cats will NOT eat it

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

There are similar items to what you describe readily available and most cats will NOT eat it
Hmmmm... just for experimental sake though, to perhaps try once, is there a particular brand or keyword I can google? Didn't notice any of the stuff on the shelf at Petsmart.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hmmmm... just for experimental sake though, to perhaps try once, is there a particular brand or keyword I can google? Didn't notice any of the stuff on the shelf at Petsmart.
Go to the skin and coat section or the treat section... look up vita gravy