Pet-Safe Roach Killers?

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was the third time in two weeks I've seen a cockroach. I live in the basement of a two-story house and I think we're starting to have a bit of a problem with roaches. Naturally I want to get rid of them--without hurting any pets.

I don't have a cat (wish I did), but my roommates have dogs. I figured that anything cat-safe ought to be dog-safe, too; so if anyone here knows about a way to get rid of roaches that won't kill cats, that'd be great.

Don't have money to spare, so anything really expensive (like getting the house fumigated or something) is out of my reach.

Oh, and mods--if this doesn't belong here, move it to wherever it *does* belong?

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had a HUGE problem with ants. We found "safer" brand bug killer. We got the ant killer, but they make cockraoch killer too. You can get it at pretty much any Ace hardware store. They use natural ingrediants, so it's safe for pets. We sprayed it all over inside the house, and the ants were gone in a few days.

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bijou's Mom

We had a HUGE problem with ants. We found "safer" brand bug killer. We got the ant killer, but they make cockraoch killer too. You can get it at pretty much any Ace hardware store. They use natural ingrediants, so it's safe for pets. We sprayed it all over inside the house, and the ants were gone in a few days.
Do you know the name of the ant killer? And really works? Did you have to reapply?

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The brand is actually called safer. It comes in a bright yellow can- hang on I'll go look for it. OK, there is a website. It's www.victorpest.com. Go in and click on insect traps and more and it brings up the page. You should be able to get it at any Ace store though. We live in a small town and it was easy to find. We did have to reapply it a few times, but I think that was because we had a nest under the house. The ant one is just pure mint oil and that repels them. I dont know exactly what the cockroach one contains, but I know that they make one. Also, it isn't very expensive.

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One more thing, I just read the ant killer can and it says it does kill roaches too, along with waterbugs, silverfish, crickets, spiders, centipedes, and other crawling insects for up to 4 weeks. I had to spray it pretty heavy, but it doesn't stain and it has a fresh mint smell. It didn't bother my dog, cat, or fish one little bit! Hope this helps!

cathyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Living in the South on the coast waterbugs or giant flying cockroaches are a major nuisance. I usually see them in the evening on my porch or patio. I am terrified of them and was totally freaked out when I saw a couple of them in my kitchen a few years ago. I used the roach motels and haven't seen one since...knock on wood!!! I put them in places my cats couldn't get to like under the stove and fridge. I also put them in the back of the cabinets under the bathroom and kitchen sink and above the stove. They really did work for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bijou's Mom

The brand is actually called safer. It comes in a bright yellow can- hang on I'll go look for it. OK, there is a website. It's www.victorpest.com. Go in and click on insect traps and more and it brings up the page. You should be able to get it at any Ace store though. We live in a small town and it was easy to find. We did have to reapply it a few times, but I think that was because we had a nest under the house. The ant one is just pure mint oil and that repels them. I dont know exactly what the cockroach one contains, but I know that they make one. Also, it isn't very expensive.
Thanks, I'm going to pick some up today
We had our place sprayed once, but I don't like the pest control stuff, I want something safe for pets. Thanks again.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest here that you remove your cats from the areas you intend to spray. Spray and let it dry completely before you put the cats back in these areas. Good luck.

dukusani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, I dont have the Ace hardware store where im from whats the thing called?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it this?

http://www.victorpest.com/store/insect-control/b51702

We used a different brand of Diatomaceous Earth and it didn't work. 

If you buy any of this stuff, make sure it is FOOD Grade. You need to wear a mask when dispensing it because it can damage your lungs (and your pets lungs) if you breathe it in. Also DON'T put it anywhere your pets could walk in it or get it on their fur. And DON'T use it with the pets in the room where you are using it.

It's pretty nasty stuff and hard to clean up too.

Last edited:

sam i am

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help with roaches. I moved into a totally renovated condo, Florida, a month ago. I have a dog. I wanted to get a kitten, but am worried about roaches and the chemicals to kill them might hurt them. I am currently using a gel and baits. Help, i do not want to get a kitten and have it get sick

david33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recommend roach bait arena, it is safe for pets. The bait is inside this arena and roaches of all shapes and sizes can easily go in so they can eat the bait They’ll come and go and will help you spread the contamination around.

Last edited by a moderator: