Pet Medication Costs

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the appropriate thread (maybe it should be in IMHO), but I am alarmed at how much medication costs when purchased at my vet's office.  I first noticed a few years ago; Blackberry has a severe skin condition and we have to be diligent about keeping up with her vet care. We take her in for a shot at the first sign of a problem.  I am proud about how well her skin has improved and have no complaints about that.  The only thing was, the vet sold DH eight allergy pills for $12.00.  We keep the exact same pills in stock at work and I know that a large bottle of them can be purchased over the counter at any local pharmacy for probably less than have what we were charged. 

Oh course, we would never give our cats medications (over the counter, home remedy, etc) without first consulting with a vet.  

Our good girl Daisy has congestive heart failure and has to take medication twice daily.  It is an older medicine (also used for people, which makes it more familiar to me).  The last time DH picked up a month's supply at the vet's office, it was $90.00!  We checked with a local compounding pharmacy, and the pharmacist confirmed that they do carry the medicine.  (I don't believe that all pharmacies are compounding pharmacies, but this one even advertises that they can fill pet prescriptions.  With some liquid medications, the pharmacist told me, he can mix them up in a chicken or tuna flavor.) DH had the vet call in the prescription to the pharmacy we were thrilled that it was only $10.00 for a month's supply!  

Finding a reputable pharmacy that can fill pet prescriptions saved us significant amount on a monthly expense.  I hope this can help someone else, too, if buying medication at the vet's office seems a little expensive.  

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our vets will write a prescription rather than just selling the meds - if you ask. Ditto for prescription food. I usually ask if it's something that has to be given long term. Most pharmacies around here will order for you if they don't stock it and have it within 24 hours.

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Meds at the vet can sometimes be outrageously priced, I agree! I get a discount on my cats meds because I work at the hospital but I still get some prescriptions filled elsewhere sometimes. For instance, two of my cats take fluoxetine (Prozac) and at work it costs over $50 for a month supply so I get it filled at rite aid where my dad works as a pharmacist. I can get 2 month's worth there for only $10.

I would advise people to only get medications filled at human pharmacies and stay away from online pet pharmacies. They might have big names and amazing prices but they're not always reputable. Even large companies like 1-800-PetMeds. They don't have to tell you where they're buying the drugs from and they don't always buy directly from the manufacturer and they don't necessarily back up their products. If you buy flea/tick prevention from your vet and aren't satisfied, the manufacturer will take it back. Not so with online pharmacies. For instance if you bought heartworm prevention from your vet and your pet came down with heartworm disease, the manufacturer would pay for their treatment. If you got it from 1-800-PetMeds you would have no such guarantee. Sometimes saving a couple extra bucks isn't worth it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  (I don't believe that all pharmacies are compounding pharmacies, but this one even advertises that they can fill pet prescriptions.  With some liquid medications, the pharmacist told me, he can mix them up in a chicken or tuna flavor.)
 No, not all. The big chains (CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Target, etc) are not. You would have to find a pharmacy that is specifically labeled (named?) as a compounding pharmacy. The vet should know of at least one or two in your area. A compounding pharmacy can flavor medicines and turn medicines from one form into another (say, pill to liquid).

Other ways to save money are to use a pet prescription card to save money on medicines that have to be bought at a Human pharmacy, such as Flovent or Lantus insulin. There are various ones out there. All are free to use. You just fill out some info online and print out a card right away with your info on it. AAA, the car and travel service in the US, has a pet prescription program, too.

For pet medicines that can only be bought at a Human pharmacy, you an use this web site to find which local pharmacy has the medicine for the best price: http://www.goodrx.com/

I know some people have used Four Corners Pharmacy (based somewhere on a Pacific island, I think) to buy their pet's medicines for pretty cheap but it seems a little sketchy to me. I know people who buy their cat's Lantus or Levimir insulins from online Canadian pharmacies for cheap.

For pet specific medicines like for flea/tick or ProZinc insulin for cats, the vet can write you a prescription so you can buy the medicine anywhere you want. Target pharmacies do carry some pet specific medicines. There's a list on the Target web site.
Meds at the vet can sometimes be outrageously priced, I agree!
I actually found Flovent cheaper at the vet hospital pharmacy than at the regular chain Human pharmacy even with a pet prescription card. It does pay to shop around for prices

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, that as long as the vet gives you the prescription, or at least knows what you are giving your cat, then it pays to shop around. I get long term meds and supplements like prednisone and L-lysine from the pharmacy, and always carry some eye ointment at home, having discussed with my vet the most appropriate one to use. My vet also knows I order Cosequin online for Dushka's arthritis, and I just check with her at the annual exam as to whether I should change the dosage. I save a fortune.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you. I don't think a lot of pet owners knew this!
You are welcome.  I am hoping this could be a help to others.  It was certainly a blessing to us.  

No, not all. The big chains (CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Target, etc) are not. You would have to find a pharmacy that is specifically labeled (named?) as a compounding pharmacy. The vet should know of at least one or two in your area. A compounding pharmacy can flavor medicines and turn medicines from one form into another (say, pill to liquid).

Other ways to save money are to use a pet prescription card to save money on medicines that have to be bought at a Human pharmacy, such as Flovent or Lantus insulin. There are various ones out there. All are free to use. You just fill out some info online and print out a card right away with your info on it. AAA, the car and travel service in the US, has a pet prescription program, too.

For pet medicines that can only be bought at a Human pharmacy, you an use this web site to find which local pharmacy has the medicine for the best price: http://www.goodrx.com/

I know some people have used Four Corners Pharmacy (based somewhere on a Pacific island, I think) to buy their pet's medicines for pretty cheap but it seems a little sketchy to me. I know people who buy their cat's Lantus or Levimir insulins from online Canadian pharmacies for cheap.

For pet specific medicines like for flea/tick or ProZinc insulin for cats, the vet can write you a prescription so you can buy the medicine anywhere you want. Target pharmacies do carry some pet specific medicines. There's a list on the Target web site.

I actually found Flovent cheaper at the vet hospital pharmacy than at the regular chain Human pharmacy even with a pet prescription card. It does pay to shop around for prices
Thank you for the excellent information.  We are fortunate to have a trusted locally owned pharmacy in our area that does supply pet medications. DH always prefers to give liquid medicine when there is a choice.  The pharmacist told DH that the medicine will make Daisy "drunk"; something the vet never mentioned.  It's not a big deal, since she is indoors only, but knowing the possible side effects is important. Though I've observed some of her side effects are exactly like those in people who take this medication (increased thirst, increased urination), I've never heard of this medicine making a person drunk.  It goes to show how different the responses can be regarding the same medication in people vs. animals and how important it is for a vet to be involved in diagnosing and treatment.  Even though my vet price gouges in this area, he is an excellent doctor and I would never make a medical decision for any of my cats without consulting him.

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have been blessed to not have to have any cats on long-term medications. I do have a cat on allergy tabs seasonally but I get them from Walmart. I've noticed that lots of medications/sprays/ointments are very overpriced at Vet clinics. I suppose that's how they keep in business but still doesn't make it right. Thank you for sharing about the pharmacies. I buy my flea/tick meds at Walmart or Petsense.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only medication that I have a kitty on long term is Prednisolone which is a reasonably priced medicine even at the vet's.  It has gone up since the long period of time when it was essentially unavailable but it is still reasonably priced.  I know it is also a human medication and the 5 mg pills are a common way that it is dispensed to people but I just hadn't looked into it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Picked up more Revolution today from the vet. 4 boxes (3 doses in each box) costs nearly the same at the vet hospital as it does online. So sometimes buying online isn't necessarily cheaper.