Pet insurance

Stucker516

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm strongly considering getting pet insurance, are there any good pet insurance providers in the U.S?
I'm willing to pay up to $20/m since I'm currently unemployed and a full time student.

ForeverHungry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have Trupanion myself. Although I am in Canada, Trupanion has a good reputation within US and Canada. Depending on the age of your cat, it can be well under $20/m

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stucker516

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have Trupanion myself. Although I am in Canada, Trupanion has a good reputation within US and Canada. Depending on the age of your cat, it can be well under $20/m
Alright, I'll check them out. Thank you!

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m late in the game, any pet insurance that would cover preexisting condition?

ForeverHungry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately the way pet insurance is designed, preexisting conditions are pretty much always never covered. My cat had polyps prior to me adopting and if they ever come back Trupanion won't cover the treatment, in fact no pet insurance said yes to it. Some cover complications secondary to the preexisting conditions, but since I haven't personally made such a claim yet I can't say if it actually works out or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stucker516

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, it’s not worth it
Unfortunately the way pet insurance is designed, preexisting conditions are pretty much always never covered. My cat had polyps prior to me adopting and if they ever come back Trupanion won't cover the treatment, in fact no pet insurance said yes to it. Some cover complications secondary to the preexisting conditions, but since I haven't personally made such a claim yet I can't say if it actually works out or not.
I'm guessing feline herpes and allergies count as pre-existing conditions?

ForeverHungry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
C Catmom1234567890 I wouldn't say it's not worth it. So my cat had polyps when she was first found and treated by the shelter and so future polyp complications will not be covered, which is mainly recurrence. But if she gets mites somehow, fleas, UTI, tumor somewhere else in her body... I think you get the gist, she will be covered.

ForeverHungry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing feline herpes and allergies count as pre-existing conditions?
Well it depends. If your cat had something in their medical history listed before they became yours, it's preexisting. If you get your cat home and immediately signup for an insurance which usually consists of a 30 day activation wait time, and then discover at the vets that something new came up then yes, it will most likely be covered. Many insurance companies have a lot of terms and conditions for their extent of coverage and additional rules on deductible (just like for humans).

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you are concerned that your pet who has preexisting conditions might develop another expensive illness along the way, it may be worth it. Three of my cats have insurance, but I insured them as tiny kittens after I made the big mistake of not insuring my 10 year old dog, (at the time he was 10 and had several major medical preexisting rule outs) because they wanted a high premium plus would not cover those conditions. Shortly after, he was diagnosed with melanoma which involved an amputation and immunotherapy. Yep, should have paid them the $100 a month that they wanted to insure him as he had never had any skin condition.

ForeverHungry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you are concerned that your pet who has preexisting conditions might develop another expensive illness along the way, it may be worth it. Three of my cats have insurance, but I insured them as tiny kittens after I made the big mistake of not insuring my 10 year old dog, (at the time he was 10 and had several major medical preexisting rule outs) because they wanted a high premium plus would not cover those conditions. Shortly after, he was diagnosed with melanoma which involved an amputation and immunotherapy. Yep, should have paid them the $100 a month that they wanted to insure him as he had never had any skin condition.
It was literally your post from a few months ago that convinced me to get pet insurance for my cat. Thank you so much for sharing your experience :)

linzy383

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have Embrace for 12 years and they have been amazing. We have two cats with IBD, and one of them was just diagnosed with small to intermediate cell lymphoma in his liver. We have spent $5k on them in the last 10 days (two hospitalizations and a biopsy) and it was 90% covered. There was never a question of not treating because we couldn’t afford it. Like others have said, it doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions, but we have had the insurance since our boys were kittens.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have Embrace for 12 years and they have been amazing. We have two cats with IBD, and one of them was just diagnosed with small to intermediate cell lymphoma in his liver. We have spent $5k on them in the last 10 days (two hospitalizations and a biopsy) and it was 90% covered. There was never a question of not treating because we couldn’t afford it. Like others have said, it doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions, but we have had the insurance since our boys were kittens.
It’s all good if you are insured since day 1. As in my case due to pre existing conditions, insurance won’t help at all

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if Bengals might fetch a higher premium?

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know certain breeds are higher because of known congenital illness associated with certain breeds. Best to contact the carrier.
It is however better to carry insurance prior to existing condition. Many insurance also may not insure older senior kitties. Kitty medical cost is extremely expensive in the US so it is worth looking into it.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Daftcat posted a very nice list of different companies and their premiums in a different thread. I forget which one…