Pet Insurance

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I know it has been discussed to death, but I am just so confused.

I am seriously thinking of getting insurance on Geoffrey, my 3 year old kitty.

I had it on Artie, which did help. I will not go into the details, but just say that I decided to drop it, as soon as he had a diagnosis, which the insurance company decided was pre-existing.

In Geoffrey's case: he is fairly healthy.. just the acne on his lips.. could be from stress, or whatever.

I am so confused about caps..do not even know how to phrase it..

Which insurances have a deductible for each diagnosis, and which ones are total yearly deductibles? and how much should I put as a coverage limit.. I know it goes by what I can afford, but: so confusing... emergency visits need to be covered, as well as any illnesses.. and procedures..

And I need to find something which I can afford the monthly premiums...

It is all gobblygook to me..

I have 3 in mind: ASPCA, Embrace, and Nationwide.. but do not know how to decide.. these seem to be the highest rated ones....

can anyone help me sort out the jargon?.. and just put it in plain words?

thanks...

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have healthy paws insurance for Buddy. I don't have the information you are looking for handy (I'm not at home atm) but I did do quite a bit of research before I chose them. Consumer Reports rated them highly as well as Consumer Advocate.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, just realized I could look it up on my phone:doh:
Buddy has a $100 annual deductible, then healthy paws pays 90% of covered costs. The monthly premium is $23. It DOES NOT cover vaccinations, dental cleanings, or flea meds. It DOES cover injury, illness, diagnosis, etc. I thankfully haven't had to file a claim, but it gives me peace of mind.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use healthy Paws just for emergencies. It costs 17.XX dollars for my 3.5 year old cat and $500 deductible. It does go up. It used to be less than 15 before. Nice thing is no lifetime limits for coverage.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also use Healthy Paws, and I've been happy with them. Yes, the monthly payment goes up, but there is no limit to what they will cover. They do require that you get a check up for your pet within a certain period of signing up, or I think you can submit a check up that you've just had.