Pet Insurance that covers routine care

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Am considering getting pet insurance for one of my two kitties who looks to be getting inflammed gums. I think he will need a dental cleaning soon. Are there any pet insurance policies out there that cover routine care such as dental cleanings? If so, do you know if routine care is subject to pre existing conditions cause he *will* have to go in to get an exam before applying and it will be recorded on his health history. Thanks!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There are a lot of pet insurance plans out there and I am a firm believer in having them after an experience with my German shepherd. They do cover routine wellness procedures but you have to specifically choose that in most of them. You will be more than likely given options of items like routine care, care for illness and accident which excludes routine care, etc.

You might have to make a few calls to find out where your cats qualify depending on whether or not this condition was diagnosed before or treated before. It might be an exclusion if it is already on the cat's medical records. I was not sure why your cat needs to have an exam before hand and that might put you in a gray area for coverage for that condition. As you select a plan, make sure it is the plan that you want. Most companies will create a new policy if you amend the plan later and that might exclude any preexisting conditions, even those for which they covered the cat.

There is probably a waiting period before treatment can be covered so you need to find out what that is. More than likely you can't go the next day for the dental work.

Embrace, Pet's Best ,ASPCA, Nationwide, PetPlan, Trupanion are the companies who frequently have brochures in vet offices. You do need to do some footwork to find the plan and company that work for you.

I should add that I don't have wellness or dental for my three cats who are insured, so the exclusion on having a dental condition could be different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was not sure why your cat needs to have an exam before hand and that might put you in a gray area for coverage for that condition.
I figured the insurance company would want that to see what his health was at prior to coverage to see if he has any preexisting conditions they would want to disqualify him from.

I used the persons link above to petsbest. They would only cover up to $150 of teeth cleaning. Most teeth cleanings are like $450 with no additional work, like teeth pulling. That, plus $54 per month doesnt make it worth the teeth cleaning at the moment.

Its nice cause it covers him for other things. But if he needed an exam prior and they discover the tartar buildup, he wont even be covered for that...

So annoying. I get why they do that, as sort of an incentive to get you to pay into a plan you most likely wont be using for a long long time, but its obnoxious.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No pet insurance covers pre-existing conditions---there's no ACA for pets! Insurance companies HATE covering pre-existing conditions and will only do so if somebody forces them to, and pet insurance isn't very regulated.

There are some plans that cover routine care but you'll almost certainly end up paying more in premiums than the routine care costs.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just canceled my Healthy Paws insurance. It doesn't cover routine expenses, and because Mingo has turned six, they raised the premiums $20 per month. I figured I would come out ahead by adding the cost of the premiums to my budget, and it would cover most expenses.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't use pet insurance but wanted to point out that many employers offer a pet insurance discount. Dig through the HR / benefits web site for your employer or call your HR person and ask.

As said, pet insurance is not like Human health insurance. Most pet plans work as reimbursement - you pay the vet and submit the bill to the insurance as a claim and get reimbursed for part or all of the bill. Some health conditions are not covered and others are considered as pre-existing even if your pet was just diagnosed.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If there is any suspicion of an illness which might be on the horizon, I would not do the exam before getting the pet insurance. Once it is documented, that is probably the end of coverage for that condition.

Pet insurance companies are under the jurisdiction of the state insurance commissioner and as such, complaints can be filed against them. But most are pretty clear about their limitations and I would not plan on winning that sort of complaint.

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just canceled my Healthy Paws insurance. It doesn't cover routine expenses, and because Mingo has turned six, they raised the premiums $20 per month. I figured I would come out ahead by adding the cost of the premiums to my budget, and it would cover most expenses.
I used to have healthy paws for one of my cats. I cancelled cause expenses were too tight at the time. Now that you said this, I think I had the same thought process, to just add it to savings. That way, that money would also be available for other emergencies as well, instead of inaccessible in an insurance premiums bank account.
$20 is insane.. I always figured that the high cost of older cats (not that 6 should even count as older) came from the fact of not having covered them during their younger years... Guess they charge higher no matter what.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they do. And the $20 was added to the $50 I was already paying. Lily will be six next year, and if it went up another $20, then the total for the two cats would be $90 per month.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not do the exam before getting the pet insurance.
They require that your pet has been seen by the vet in the last 6 months.

I have Healthy Paws for 2 of my dogs, and am thinking about cancelling it. They have been raising the prices about $5 a year, which doesn't seem like a lot but if they keep it up it'll get way too high. And the reason I have it is so I can afford something like hip or knee surgery. . .but if it ends up costing $100 a month and I just put that in savings instead, that'll be $12,000 after 10 years, which should cover hip surgery. . .idk. Tough decision.

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They require that your pet has been seen by the vet in the last 6 months.

I have Healthy Paws for 2 of my dogs, and am thinking about cancelling it. They have been raising the prices about $5 a year, which doesn't seem like a lot but if they keep it up it'll get way too high. And the reason I have it is so I can afford something like hip or knee surgery. . .but if it ends up costing $100 a month and I just put that in savings instead, that'll be $12,000 after 10 years, which should cover hip surgery. . .idk. Tough decision.
way I am starting to look at it is its helpful if they get injured young, cause you might not have that stock pile saved yet. And it's helpful if they end up needing a lot of big things done when older. Like several surgeries or something.
But I was also thinking someone could just do a line of credit at that time.
Insurance almost seems like it prays on middle class people. A savings account makes more sense cause then you can use that savings for other emergencies.
But I get that it's for peace of mind too since you can't know when your pet will need vet care.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, my vet (VCA) has a Care Club. You pay a certain amount each month, and it covers all routine care, including two (!) exams a year and vaccinations. I am going to investigate this as it might be a good way to guarantee my cats's health at a minimum cost. If I'm not mistaken, the senior package includes a dental cleaning.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I was not required to have a physical before enrolling the last cat. Companies vary. Everyone has to do what works for them; I am an insurnace kind of gal; never met a warranty or insurance policy I did not like and have always kicked myself for not having taken out the one that I didn't.

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know, my vet (VCA) has a Care Club. You pay a certain amount each month, and it covers all routine care, including two (!) exams a year and vaccinations. I am going to investigate this as it might be a good way to guarantee my cats's health at a minimum cost. If I'm not mistaken, the senior package includes a dental cleaning.
Wait, VCA has one too? I know Banfield does, but I wont use Banfield. Their plan per month per year basically covered the teeth cleaning, so I loved it.
About how much does it cost per month?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was once at a private vet (not affiliated with VCA or Banfield or other chain) that also offered a monthly plan. So it's worth asking about at any vet's office.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait, VCA has one too? I know Banfield does, but I wont use Banfield. Their plan per month per year basically covered the teeth cleaning, so I loved it.
About how much does it cost per month?
I don't know. The next time I'm in, which will be soon, I am going to pick up a pamphlet. The VCA website has descriptions, but no prices of course.

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know. The next time I'm in, which will be soon, I am going to pick up a pamphlet. The VCA website has descriptions, but no prices of course.
Just called them and asked about their Adult plan, which I think goes up to 6 years old.
$552\yr $45.99\mo without dental
$1079\yr $89.99\mo with dental
$49.99 one time activation fee

So good to have if you have a lot of expenses for your kitty one year and anticipate having that much the following year. So kind of like a kitty FSA. lol

I think I am just going to pay the dental cleaning out of pocket this time and if he starts getting other health problems later in time, switch to VCA and get their plan.

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just called them and asked about their Adult plan, which I think goes up to 6 years old.
$552\yr $45.99\mo without dental
$1079\yr $89.99\mo with dental
$49.99 one time activation fee

So good to have if you have a lot of expenses for your kitty one year and anticipate having that much the following year. So kind of like a kitty FSA. lol

I think I am just going to pay the dental cleaning out of pocket this time and if he starts getting other health problems later in time, switch to VCA and get their plan.
That's a bit expensive. I think I may pass, but will still check it out soon.

The VCA plan doesn't cover emergencies, I don't think. Just routine care. So charging $400 extra for a dental (how much is a dental usually?!?) seems a bit extreme.
VCA CareClub Review - 365 Pet Insurance
True, it's just routine care, but it does cover a lot of them. My guess is that $400 is about the cost for a cleaning.