Pet gate for large door way

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to find an option to put up a gate in a 45" doorway. I need it to have a cat opening (the area leads to their litter box, I don't want them having to jump in.)

I can't seem to find what to put up. Plus some gates are so expensive. If there's alternatives let me know.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can think of is to get a cheap wooden screen door at a building center like Menards or Home Depot and lay it sideways, attaching or putting something heavy on the 1.5-foot overlap on both sides. Or build it yourself out of 2x2's, with a small 2x2 lined small cat-sized opening for a cat door. (in either one) You could staple the screen to the opening. They have MANY gates in various sizes on Amazon too, some with cat openings. I hope someone comes up with a better idea!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you! going to just bite the bullet and get that. my niece keeps putting a gate thats too small and holding it up with something loose. im scared the cats will get hurt.

i considered getting a gate without a cat door and just hanging it higher than normal so the cats can crawl under. not sure if that will stop a 2 year old toddler?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Judging by my brother's little tornado child, I'd go with the Carlson gate. The vertical slats are a lot less climbable than a mesh. And is permanent mount an option? It's a lot more secure when you can screw it to the wall. If he manages to go through the kitty door, you can make it smaller with wire mesh and zip ties, just big enough for the cats but not for his big toddler head. If you want to avoid the door altogether, you could get one like this and mount it just high enough for the cats to squish through (actually measure the baby's head first!).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JN6304/?tag=thecatsite

For budget options, check Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist or a used baby supply place. Gates are so common, you can usually find a good one used for a much better price.

Amazon shipping isn't going very fast right now either, so if you can find a local option, that would definitely be faster.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Judging by my brother's little tornado child, I'd go with the Carlson gate. The vertical slats are a lot less climbable than a mesh. And is permanent mount an option? It's a lot more secure when you can screw it to the wall. If he manages to go through the kitty door, you can make it smaller with wire mesh and zip ties, just big enough for the cats but not for his big toddler head. If you want to avoid the door altogether, you could get one like this and mount it just high enough for the cats to squish through (actually measure the baby's head first!).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JN6304/?tag=thecatsite

For budget options, check Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist or a used baby supply place. Gates are so common, you can usually find a good one used for a much better price.

Amazon shipping isn't going very fast right now either, so if you can find a local option, that would definitely be faster.
my sister doesnt want anything up thats permanent or can damage her home in any way. So i have to use pressure mounted.

i'll check out facebook, thank you!