Pet Food & Livestock Feed Recalls

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update Family Dollar - list of dog and cat food recalled. recall located now in Alabama, Arkansas. Louisiana. Mississippi Missouri Tennessee

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
US - these aren't dog treats, but they could so easily be dog treats that I thought I should mention the alergy alert -

Allergy Alert: Frickenschmidt Foods LLC recalls HIGH PROTEIN SNACK TERIYAKI BEEF WICKED CUTZ BEEF STICK (1.5 oz individual packs; Lots 113022, 120122, and 012823; Packaged on Nov. 30, 2021, Dec. 1, 2021, and Jan. 28, 2021, respectively) due to undeclared gluten.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dollar Tree recall expanded, now recalling pet food, and other items, in Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri and Tennessee.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
US - this is jerky for people, but since many give their dogs people treats I'm posting it here.

Boyd Specialties LLC of Colton, CA, is recalling 1,634 pounds of ready-to-eat (RTE) jerky products that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EUROPE -UK - pet food recall - I've never had this happen before, but I've read this post several times and I still don't know what kind of pets it's for. They do say Pet food in the recall notice. So, I'm posting it assuming you'll know if you use it. Affected products/batches listed.

Sneyd’s Wonderfeeds Ltd recalls pet feed because of the presence of salmonella

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A federal judge has entered a consent decree of permanent injuction against Bravo Packing, Inc., a manufacturer and distributor of raw pet food based in Carney’s Point, New Jersey.

The consent decree requires that Bravo “stop selling, manufacturing and distributing raw pet food and come into compliance with the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act).”

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The following article presents some interesting points about the above Bravo shut down. (salmonella is serious to everyone) It doesn't say Bravo shouldn't have been shut down, but it does say that the similar unhygienic conditions are that permitted at other pet food companies. Why the company that sells raw food and not the other? Where I take this to mean those conditions should be looked into and, possibly, the other plant treated as Bravo was, in my opinion it should also make the shut down of Bravo packaging less alarming to those who have been buying the product. Basic logic tells us: If one then the other, if not one, then not the other.

Yes, this is Susan Thixton's article, but as always when I post one of her articles, she is offering FACTS not merely opinion.

As always suggested reading The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
US - bird flu

Prior to just 70 days ago, the worst case of highly pathogenic avian influenza(HPAI) in the United States occurred in 2015. By all indications, the HPAI outbreaks that have already happened in just more than two months of 2022 surpassed those 2015 Avian flu records. Just four commercial flocks recently culled more than 15 million diseased birds.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where you can read the FDA's second warning letter to Sunshine Mills and a listing of Sunshine Mills products involved.

and here's one for Pet Center Treats

On February 28, 2022 the FDA issued a Warning Letter to Pet Center, Inc. Per the warning, this company “manufactures dog treats, including Bully Sticks (bull pizzles), Chicken Breast Tenders, and various flavors of SuperChews.”

The fact that my sources didn't mention either of these two letters, tells me I've got to keep up with S. Thixton, because I'm missing important things about pet food with the mostly human food FDA information. I'll try to keep up with her blog, with the facts she offers and let you know.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FDA Warns Dog Food Maker Due to Safety Violations – Multiple Brands-- sunshine Mills again

May 15, 2022 — The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a Warning Letter to Sunshine Mills, Inc., of Red Bay, Alabama due to significant safety violations. The letter was originally issued to the company on March 7, 2022, but was not made public by the FDA until April 18, 2022.

The following brands are produced by Sunshine Mills. Due to the incomplete nature of the FDA’s report, there’s no way to know which brands are linked to this FDA warning.
  • Evolve
  • Nurture Farms
  • Triumph
  • Veterinary Select
  • Paula Deen Home Cookin’
  • Meaty Treats
  • Sportsman’s Pride
  • Hunter’s Special
  • Pup Corn Plus
  • Pet Life
  • Crunchin’ Bones
  • Dr. Dental Fresh Chews

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jif peanut butter recalled please check out the foodie thread for lists of the products recalled. Right now it's pretty much lining up to be most of JM Smucker's peanut butter products and items that use them

yes, I should have cross posted. I tend to forget that people don't check the foodie recall lists. God, I hope no one has lost a pet because of this.

page 24, start with post #467, thread

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jif peanut butter - still no word if it's contained in any pet treats, but they've only started to recall human food that the peanut butter has been added to. So far this is the first alert related to pets I've found. History first then scroll down to Jif about half way down - symptoms to look for

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Europe - UK - Jif peanut butter recall expands, UK now, Europe be on the alert for recalls.
Food Safety Recall (UK): JDM Distributors recalls Jif Creamy Peanut Butter (453g; Batch code 1343006; Best before 09 December 2023) and Jif Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter (453g; Batch code 1296425; Best before 23 October 2023) due to potential Salmonella contamination.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone is checking their dog treats to see what the peanut butter in the is, right? Sometimes recalls of pet food/treats that are affected by the things recalled in human foods are delayed because of the focus on human food. Just a warning.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update - Avian flu in 35 states requires a costly response

Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack (has) authorized to tap the cash at the Commodity Credit Corporation to fund USDA’s avian flu flight, which is run out of the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS). Vilsack has not hesitated to make the fund transfers from Commodity Credit to APHIS.
In March, Vilsak approved the first $130 million in emergency funding for APHIS to address the problem. The Secretary added $263 million to the HPIA work in late April. And just this past week, Vilsack transferred another $400 million transfer.
(depopulating means killing not quarantining.)

(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canada -
For the Canadian poultry industry, reports of the avian influenza outbreak reaching farms in Newfoundland and Labrador in December of 2021 was a clear sign of trouble to come. Poultry farmers are on high alert to control the outbreak in their flocks as they recall the resulting devastation from the virus in 2014-2015.