Pet Food List

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is anyone already familiar with/aware of this food listing (Pet Food List) web site, or the person who just posted it on the H-T forum (http://felinecrf.the-colonel.info/)? It has search capabilities for dogs too, but I still wanted to post it under Cat Nutrition. A lot of the foods match up with ones on the felinecrf web site, but this particular list seems to be easier to navigate/search and contains extra info/details when you click on a particular food. There is also a corresponding FAQ - Pet Food List. The two links in this post do drive to separate web pages, despite the fact that they are labeled the same.

Just curious if anyone knows about this and if it can be considered reliable.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is interesting, thanks for sharing, never heard of it before! I see it’s crowd sourced, meaning anyone can submit the data, but they (I’m not clear who’s they though) verify it. I’d be mostly interested to see if their data is based on guaranteed analysis or did people make an effort and obtain nutritional analysis from the manufacturers, as this may give the biggest discrepancies.
I generally like and trust the most the recommended food list in the Feline Nutrition Facebook group. It’s different though, as this Pet Food List is meant to have all the food, and Feline Nutrition group selects only those that meet certain criteria (low carbs, high protein etc). Maybe I’ll have time later today to compare few values from both of the lists to see if there are any discrepancies.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember seeing it on Reddit couple years ago. I might have even posted on TCS but the website was brand new then I believe but not sure.

I don't have much experience with it but I think websites like this are a good basis to learn more but it would be better to double check on the products' actual websites. There are so many foods and manifacturers change the formulas often enough that I feel no website can always be in-time to update the info.

P.S. I learned by experience a trick area about nutrition about some foods is the word "Minimum." Like Acana will put "Phosphorus: Min. % x" but that doesn't say anything about what the highest could be and that's the most important. Yet some websites write "%X" without writing the word "Minimum."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have much experience with it but I think websites like this are a good basis to learn more but it would be better to double check on the products' actual websites. There are so many foods and manifacturers change the formulas often enough that I feel no website can always be in-time to update the info....P.S. I learned by experience a trick area about nutrition about some foods is the word "Minimum." Like Acana will put "Phosphorus: Min. % x" but that doesn't say anything about what the highest could be and that's the most important. Yet some websites write "%X" without writing the word "Minimum."
When it comes to certain things like phosphorus, for example, even the manufacturers' web sites do not generally list them. You have to contact each company individually and request the information - that is unless, in the case of this example, they are touting their product as low phosphorus. The 'minimum' issue was brought to my attention via the felinecrf web site who has a similar listing of foods as is being provided in this newer, more versatile listing. That's the pet food industry for you, not much in the way of controls.