Pet food/exercise tracking app?

CFD-JTZ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone here had any luck finding a good app for tracking food, weight, activity, medical issues, etc for your pets?

Thanks!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used Google Sheets to track food, weight, and medical issues. Krista wasn't very active in those difficult senior years of hers. Each sheet in the workbook was one week's worth of food--seven "columns", one for each day, with each row representing the amount of food in grams, the calories per gram (that big ME number on the label divided by 1000), and the total calories for that meal (three subcolumns within each day's "column".) At next meal, I would weigh the remainder (if any) and subtract that from the original row entry. If there was a GI event (poop, puke, hairball, even nausea), I would record that and any other observations in a cell note for that meal. For certain events like poop and puke, I would color code those so I could see at a glance when these events happened. If the poop wasn't normal, the color I used was a different shade so that I could see that too. Each Sunday, I'd make a copy of the previous week's sheet and zero out the numbers for the new week. It started as a food journal to track how much she was eating of what foods during her pancreatitis. We had to do many small meals to get her through that--sometimes as many as 8 or 10 in a day that weren't much bigger than a tablespoon of food. But as I also still needed to figure out her IBD triggers to prevent a pancreatitis recurrence, I started using the colors and notes to add the other dimensions of information.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

CFD-JTZ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow that is excellent and very detailed! Thanks for sharing! I will have to play around a bit but this will be good to help get me started.

Anyone else have a method or app that works well for them?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I just use an old school hand written journal. :)

optimispar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an iPhone and I use a diary app called DayOne (might've been paid but only $1-2). It lets me quickly insert the timestamp along with text, so I use it multiple times a day (when my cat poops, pees, is fed, weight, general condition). It's not great for auto tracking but it's good for recording / allowing you to look back at previous days.