Pet Carrier Vs Backpack

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

Would love your opinion on a minor issue lol. I currently have a dog carrier for my cat and it is really really big for her size and the vet always mentions something like "big carrier for a small cat" but I just thought it'd be best for comfort so she can sprawl out, lay die and/or sit up.

I then came across this Petkit backpack which has air vents inside and seems more spacious and the 'window' is tinted for sunburn. What are your opinions?

Yay or nay to the backpack?

Here's a photo of my current carrier and then a photo of the backpack.

Screenshot_20201027-202134_eBay.jpg

images (2).jpeg

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If what you already have is serving you well, why spend the extra money? I don't think the carrier is that big and even if it is, so what? :lol: I don't know anyone who has the backpack so can't give you any insight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
If what you already have is serving you well, why spend the extra money? I don't think the carrier is that big and even if it is, so what? :lol: I don't know anyone who has the backpack so can't give you any insight.
Lmao you're right. First World problems but I won a few hundred on a lottery ticket my Dad bought me and got some money to spend haha. The original carrier I have is great, it just bumps into doors and walls and stains easily due to the fabric. First World problem again.

I'll wait to see if anyone has used a backpack on their cat before and how the handled it etc. Thanks for your reply!

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got my first cat, “K.C.,” I didn’t have a cat carrier at all.

The first time I had to take him to the vet for shots and a checkup, the only thing I had was an ordinary backpack/book bag. I left the zipper open just enough for him to get some air. At that time, I lived in Boston and I got around town via subway.

I packed K.C. up and rode the subway with him to the vet. He made it just fine and didn’t seem to mind, at all.

I told the vet that I felt embarrassed, not having a pet carrier and the guy said, “If the cat doesn’t mind, it’s okay.

On the way home, I was sitting on the subway train when K.C. Poked his head out of the backpack and meowed at the girl sitting next to me. She thought K.C. was so cute that I got her phone number!

I had a cat for my wing man!

When it all comes down to things, whatever cat carrier you have is okay as long as your cat doesn’t mind.

You don’t really need to buy a new, fancy cat carrier unless you think your cat would like it better.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw one of those backpacks in the subway. The cat was feeling great in it, laid back, watching around and the owner said it was much more easier on her lower back. I don't carry minish around unless absolutely necessary and most of the time it's in the car so never needed one.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Personally the backpack you showed would not work for my cat since he likes to stretch out and lie down. But every cat is different. I think since cats are usually stressed out going to the vet it's important to make them feel as comfortable as possible. Since you already have the dog carrier take your time and look around. Here is an Article with suggestions about cat carriers from TCS members that might be helpful for you: Cat Carriers Recommended By Tcs Members – TheCatSite Articles

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have used very big airline crates for cats, especially ferals who needed to be trapped. As you say, First World problem. I figured that I got the cat safely to the vet and that was all that counted. My best friend uses a crate exactly as you have now for her cat and has for 12 years.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone successfully used those cat bags, which are like duffle bags but kitty's head sticks out?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think that they have been discussed on TCS, but if not, it was elsewhere and the comments or reviews where that the cat could possibly weasel their way out but that they might be good for putting on your cat before you place him in the carrier. A woman at my vet's has one and I can see from looking at it that it would be too risky for any of my cats.