Personality Question (are My Foster's Temperaments Common?)

because cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick backstory- Last year my first fosters (mom and 4 kittens) spread ringworm through my house. My cat, who I got right before the fosters, stresses easily and ringworm pops up on her every few months. Since I already deal with ringworm, I took on three orphan kittens and have been treating them. The will go back to the shelter on Sunday.
Here is my question- We are thinking about keeping one but if their behavior is common then I would rather wait and look for a kitten to keep from a different foster group. There are a lot of kittens in need and I am super busy with summer classes so I would really like a three week break (treating ringworm is tiring) and then foster again. BUT these kittens are so sweet!
Am I making a mistake by not keeping one from this group?
Grey tabby boy- he is sweet, and beautiful but not a contender.
Tabby boy- a little chill Casanova who likes belly rubs and kisses. If not in a playful mood, likes to be carried around the house. Wants you to pick him up in fact. Pretty chill about baths and getting his nails clipped. Rub your nose. You can even hold him out in space to look at him. I think he makes my eyes itch though.
Tabby girl- she is a doll. Wants to snuggle under your chin (when not playing). Rub you nose. Wants to be picked up but has to be held close. The main thing is that she is a coddler and my sons could use that, she'd be a little therapy cat and loved to the moon. This would give my other cat a break from my sons and husband.
My neighbors want tabby girl and so does my son but I'm torn. Are their personalities normal? I have been about 10 years without a supper affectionate cat and I miss that terribly. I don't want to let something great go.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not all that common for cats to enjoy being hugged and held like you describe. If you're looking for a therapy cat for your son, then I'd definitely keep one of these kittens. You'll also have and extra special bond with them because of raising them from so young. That kind of bond is really tough to recreate :redheartpump:

Another factor to consider is your adult cat. He'll already be familiar with the scent of these kittens, making introductions much easier than with a 'stranger' cat or kitten later on. Definitely something to consider since he's so easily stressed ;)

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I'll second the fact that those temperaments are not very common. Only two out of six cats who've shared my life have ever enjoyed that level of physical affection. Columbine has a god point too, in that everyone's used to the kittens, so it would be an easy (and meaningful) transition into keeping one.;)

zobothehobo

Non-binary mom of 3 (they/them)
Young Cat
Purraise
When I was young, my mother impromptu brought home a cat who hated being held, but loved being cuddled. She and I had a really tight bond. She would either sleep on my stomach when I slept on my back, in between my legs, or actually spooned with me. She was so affectionate and I was spoiled. She was the first cat that we had around for a long time... and when I got my next cat after she died, I was completely shook with how not affectionate she was. My cat is not not affectionate. She is a normal amount of affectionate... But my previous cat was so much more affectionate than normal. I got a second cat who's more affectionate but he still doesn't come close to my childhood cat.

Super affectionate cats are rare and they are treasures!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

because cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies! This has been causing me mounting stress. I can't help but love them and get attached and I didn't know if orphans kittens are usually loving anyway. Plus I'm not supposed to be in the market haha I am supposed to be fostering ;)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are many, many people out there who are 'failed' foster-ers, and many kitties who are in blissful forever homes as a result :cloud9: Just browse this site for a start - you'll find that you're in very good company :agree:

If one (or two) of these kittens is the right match for your family, then go for it without guilt. You'll still have made a world of difference to these babies, and there's nothing to stop you trying fostering again later on if you still want to :winkcat:

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Failed fosters ... hehe they use that term at the shelter where we volunteer. It happens a lot.

I will agree with Columbine and think you should adopt one or two if you match so well. They also say at the shelter that adopting a cat saves two - the one you adopted, and the one the shelter can take in to replace the one you adopted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

because cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again :) Signed the papers today. Now to pick a name haha