Personal Question About Male Kitten

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I got my now seven month old kitten (at the age of eleven weeks), I was told by the rescue group that I got him from that he was a girl. I found out two days later when I took him to the vet that she was actually a he. Sure enough, I looked and he had some little cream colored "marbles." Over the next few months, his color began to change. His face and body began to get more brown, and his little "marbles" not only got bigger but turned black! Is this a normal thing for a male kitten?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have a pointed cat, and if you do, it is normal. The coolest parts of the cat's body turn darker as he or she grows up, and as the testicles are cooler than the rest of the body (that's why they are outside), they will turn dark too. Now that you've found she is a he, please get him neutered ASAP so he won't start spraying or want to go outside to look for girlfriends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have a pointed cat, and if you do, it is normal. The coolest parts of the cat's body turn darker as he or she grows up, and as the testicles are cooler than the rest of the body (that's why they are outside), they will turn dark too. Now that you've found she is a he, please get him neutered ASAP so he won't start spraying or want to go outside to look for girlfriends.
Yes, he is pointed, except for his feet, which are white. The rescue group called him a Snowshoe, but the vet thinks he is probably a Siamese mix. I did have him neutered when he was five months. It's just weird because I never had a cat with color changing testicles before! I just wonder how much darker his body will get. He has already changed so much--still cute though.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is a lovely little one.

I have two pointed (a boy and girl) and both have the same effect. I have actually have a neighbor who thinks Link isn't neutered and doesn't believe me that he is because of the darkening (which is how I got Rocket). Rocket we thought was a boy at first because that area was darker and seemed to be something there. To took two vet techs really looking to confirm he was a she. But the name stuck because it fits her on so many levels.

20170422_105249.jpg

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snowshoes come packed in their own evilness. The 2014-2015 season's Best of Best was a Snowshoe named, "Magnificent Maleficent." From that bloodline, the owners of this evil thing:

mooshie.jpg

Moo Shu Snowshoe - had the good sense to throw her out of their Bentley and into my driveway when they divorced. Their reputation as troublemakers is very apt indeed (no latch or lock has any meaning to them, and they will outsmart you at every turn), but they're absolutely delightful companions in every way.

Please send help; the Snowshoe has a gun and forced me to type that.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... although Rocket did keep her name for a reason.
No doubt - as in, "rock the boat."

They do seem so innocent - when they're asleep. Then suddenly your vet leaves his 200+ pound Mastiff in the kitchen for a few minutes, and when you come back, the Snowshoe has the poor dog cornered and whimpering, and while you're checking the dog over, the Snowshoe darts off, grabs a slice of pizza from the box, and drags it away. If they were a little bigger, they'd enslave Humanity.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What gorgeous cats - every one of them! I'm dying... :redheartpump: :redheartpump: :redheartpump:
Dying??? Is there a Snowshoe sitting on your shoulder, slapping at your jugular?

They actually are very cute - especially when they're kittens - before the evilness begins to enshroud them in darkness. Moo Shu her first day here:

moosh.jpg

Attachments

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL! No, dying of cuteness. I've always been happy with our "plain" cats but these are so gorgeous I'm tempted to look for a "special" one next time around.

How bad are they?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As an aside, MaggieKitty's kitty Maggie has her own thread here:

Follow Along As Maggie Grows

and TarasGirl posted some images of her gorgeous but sadly-departed Sishya there on page 3 as well.

For anyone interested in these evil beautiful creatures, Wiki has a brief explanation of how Dorothy Hinds-Daugherty founded the Snowshoe breed from her Silver Laces program in the sisties:

Snowshoe cat - Wikipedia

and the TICA overview may be found here:

Snowshoe -Introduction

featuring another of Bellesandbeaux' cats - RW QGC Bellesandbeaux O My Goodness - the 2015 - 2016 Best of Breed.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL! No, dying of cuteness. I've always been happy with our "plain" cats but these are so gorgeous I'm tempted to look for a "special" one next time around.

How bad are they?
I got smacked the other night for moving and distrubing Links beauty rest.

I turned. He reached over and hit my leg with a paw. I moved agian. He got up, huffed at me, and laid over my legs so I couldn't move anymore.

My vet, who only sees cats, says she has never met a more opinionated or expressive cat in her over 20 years in the field. He will tell you exactly where his line is and thump his tail to express his displeasure.

Snowshoes will tell you exactly what they want and when they want it. There is no room for error or they will let you know. You wonder why you thought it was a good idea to bring them into your home.....

And then they look at you with those big blue eyes and cuddle up and you melt.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even in light of their magnificent wickedness, they beat Humans hands down, every time.