Persistent URI

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I thought the same exact thing as your mom, (minus teeth and private parts). ;) Please keep us posted on his surgeries and post-op. Sending healing vibes to your boy, Benjamin. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just realized I started this thread in behavior and not health. Sorry! Duh.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I looked more closely at his intake paperwork from the shelter and in small print, they had "eyes clear, congested." So he has been like this since August 3. Who knows how long with his prior owners. They were treating it as a URI at the shelter and I guess it just won't go away. Oh, I really hope it's the teeth and that fixes it.
me too, but if it's a nasal polyp, will they remove it while he's under? Might as well take care of everything all at once if they can, as long as it's safe.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! No nose polyps. She checked his ears, too. He had ELEVEN teeth pulled. Poor little guy. He's only three! He was also neutered. Because of the neuter, he has to wear a cone. The problem is it's too long for him to reach his water and food. I go in and visit him and take the cone off to give him a break so he can eat and drink. When I first went in this morning, he was trying to get to his water but the cone was too long. So I took it off and he drank a LOT. I called the vet and they said I could flip it and it would be like a cape. (it's the smallest size they have.) That should keep him from grooming himself. I hope so.... Anyone have any experience with that? He has to wear this thing for two weeks.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They make cones now that are like inflateable cushions they can wear and look pretty comfy. Something like this. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/well-and-good-inflatable-cat-collar If you have Amazon Prime, they have them too.

Otherwise, can you simply trip the cone back? they are made of plastic, right? Of, if wearing it backwards prevents him from getting to the wound, I don't see why you can't do that. I didn't realize males needed to wear cones after neutering :dunno:. It's been over 30 years since I had cats that needed neutering, but I sure don't remember our kittens wearing them way back then. Not even the female.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They make cones now that are like inflateable cushions they can wear and look pretty comfy. Something like this. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/well-and-good-inflatable-cat-collar If you have Amazon Prime, they have them too.

Otherwise, can you simply trip the cone back? they are made of plastic, right? Of, if wearing it backwards prevents him from getting to the wound, I don't see why you can't do that. I didn't realize males needed to wear cones after neutering :dunno:. It's been over 30 years since I had cats that needed neutering, but I sure don't remember our kittens wearing them way back then. Not even the female.
I turned the cone around to look like a cape and I just saw him try to lick and he aaallmost made it back there. So I put it back to cone. I take it off when I am in there with him. I’ll see how he does with the litter box tonight. He was able to use it okay with the cape.

I think I’m going to try the inflatable one. Thanks.

I had kittens 18 years ago and got them fixed around 6 mos and neither one had a cone (one neuter and one spay). I asked at the vet’s office and they said neutering kittens isn’t as much of a concern because kittens don’t compulsively clean like adults. Who knows.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a been a week today and he's doing a lot better. Had to take him in yesterday because of some blood seepage at the wound site. So now I have to spray his bum twice a day. Today is the last day of pain killers. Still doing the nose drops and magic mouthwash because he started sneezing again!! It's been like eight weeks! Is this the URI still??

I got the inflatable cone and it's much better. He can eat and drink with it.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If sneezing is his only sign of URI,it could be allergies. I've been sneezing up a storm, so, for some at least, it's allergy season.

So glad the inflatable cone is working out.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet said it's herpes. I stopped the magic mouthwash and nose drops on Friday because the congestion and sneezing stopped. Saturday morning he was all congested again. She said it's viral and will be contagious and symptoms will flare up once in a while. I think Oliver has it (he was also a rescue as a kitten) and has sneezing fits once in a while. Never congested, though. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Reading the maybe Lysine is a good supplement for herpes? Anyone hear of that?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many, many people use L-Lysine for Feline Herpes. I believe the standard is to use 250 mg twice per day on a daily basis, then go up to 500 mg twice a day during a flare-up. Some people use L-Lysine chewable treats, others use a powder sprinkled on their food. We've got a lot of thread

Here's a long thread about L-lysine that might be helpful to you: L-Lysine questions please.....

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many, many people use L-Lysine for Feline Herpes. I believe the standard is to use 250 mg twice per day on a daily basis, then go up to 500 mg twice a day during a flare-up. Some people use L-Lysine chewable treats, others use a powder sprinkled on their food. We've got a lot of thread

Here's a long thread about L-lysine that might be helpful to you: L-Lysine questions please.....
Thank you!!!!!!

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congestion pretty much gone today. I let them all see each other through the baby gate and it went well. Benjamin rubbed up against the gate and wanted to jump over. My other cats are 10 and 13, so they are pretty laid back and just looked at him.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just let Benjamin out for a few minutes. He was all over the place. The boys just watched him. No hissing. He sneezed twice, which is freaking me out because I don't want the boys to get sick. I guess it's unavoidable with herpes, though. Bought some L-Lysine and started giving him that. Should I give to Timothy and Oliver, too? I guess it can't hurt.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet said it's herpes. I stopped the magic mouthwash and nose drops on Friday because the congestion and sneezing stopped. Saturday morning he was all congested again. She said it's viral and will be contagious and symptoms will flare up once in a while. I think Oliver has it (he was also a rescue as a kitten) and has sneezing fits once in a while. Never congested, though. Does anyone have any experience with this?
When I adopted my kitten last year, she had a bad URI from herpes, though no bloody discharge. She got antibiotics once or twice in the beginning (for secondary infection risk) but then it took weeks and weeks for her to slowly get better, and she continued sneezing fits, off and on, for several months. She's much better now, though sometimes still a little stuffy on occasion (vet thinks the URI may have caused minor damage to her nose tissue). I still give her Lysine, though I'm not sure it helps. I also bought some sort of nose drops I read about here, but I didn't see any difference with them.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I adopted my kitten last year, she had a bad URI from herpes, though no bloody discharge. She got antibiotics once or twice in the beginning (for secondary infection risk) but then it took weeks and weeks for her to slowly get better, and she continued sneezing fits, off and on, for several months. She's much better now, though sometimes still a little stuffy on occasion (vet thinks the URI may have caused minor damage to her nose tissue). I still give her Lysine, though I'm not sure it helps. I also bought some sort of nose drops I read about here, but I didn't see any difference with them.
Thank you! Do you have other cats? If yes, have they picked it up?

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Do you have other cats? If yes, have they picked it up?
I don't. She was my first kitty ever, so at least I didn't have too worry about transmission, but it made for a scary first few months, because I had no idea of what was normal.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Susanna72 Susanna72 , your other cats probably were vaccinated against Feline Herpes as part of their standard core vaccinations. Of course, it's not 100% effective, no vaccines are. But there is also nothing wrong with giving them ALL the L-Lysine.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Susanna72 Susanna72 , your other cats probably were vaccinated against Feline Herpes as part of their standard core vaccinations. Of course, it's not 100% effective, no vaccines are. But there is also nothing wrong with giving them ALL the L-Lysine.
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens If Benjamin has started sneezing again, should I still keep them separate? I started to introduce and then he started sneezing again or does it matter? I’m giving him nose drops. He doesn’t seem congested. Sorry for all the questions.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens If Benjamin has started sneezing again, should I still keep them separate? I started to introduce and then he started sneezing again or does it matter? I’m giving him nose drops. He doesn’t seem congested. Sorry for all the questions.
Well, your Vet said it's viral and that it would probably be contagious, but is it feasible that you would keep your cats separate for their entire lives? You did say you thought Oliver might have Herpes too since he sneezes a lot already. All I can say for certain is that many people here on TCS have cats with Feline Herpes, and as far as I know, they are not kept separated from their feline siblings.

Have you mentioned to your Vet that as soon as you stopped the magic mouthwash and nosedrops the congestion started up again? If not, I would do so, and if so, what did she say?