Persistent URI

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted a cat on Sept 10 and when I picked him up they said, “he’s sick, but we will send you home with antibiotics.” Seven days later he’s still blowing bloody snot so I took him to the vet. They put him on stronger antibiotic. Vet also said he needs at least three teeth pulled (the gums are bloody) and he could also possibly have a nose polyp. Can’t do surgery until that congestion is cleared up, though. It’s day 17 and he is so miserable in my bathroom. I try to hang out as much as possible and change my clothes so I don’t infect my two resident cats. (I will feel so awful if they get sick.) I run hot showers once or twice a day. I’m calling the vet tomorrow but has anyone had this experience? The snot isn’t yellow or green, it’s pink and red. I took pictures and showed the vet. I called Friday and he gave me some nose drops, but it is next to impossible to get them in his nose. I’m trying, though. He can’t live in my bathroom forever, but I don’t want my two boys to catch it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is he eating with no problems? that is sometimes an issue with congestion. Steamy bathrooms are good for that, as well as warming up stinky wet food.

As to the rest, did they do a culture of what's coming out of his nose? That would be a good place to start as it would tell them what to treat him with. Also, did they xray his nasal passages to determine what's happening in there? Did they think he's contagious, is that why you have him in isolation? Depending on what's causing this issue, he might not be. Of course, only your Vet can tell you, depending on my previous questions.

Here is another thread kind of similar to yours that might be helpful: URI and extended antibiotics treatments?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is he eating with no problems? that is sometimes an issue with congestion. Steamy bathrooms are good for that, as well as warming up stinky wet food.

As to the rest, did they do a culture of what's coming out of his nose? That would be a good place to start as it would tell them what to treat him with. Also, did they xray his nasal passages to determine what's happening in there? Did they think he's contagious, is that why you have him in isolation? Depending on what's causing this issue, he might not be. Of course, only your Vet can tell you, depending on my previous questions.

Here is another thread kind of similar to yours that might be helpful: URI and extended antibiotics treatments?
Thank you! These are all great questions and I will ask my vet when I call tomorrow. No x-rays and no culture. It makes sense though. How else to tell if he really has polyps?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Nasal Polyps in Cats

This might give you some information as to questions about nasal polyps. The cat is unhappy in the bathroom, but put this in perspective. He is also very lucky that you have adopted him, seemingly lead to believe that he was not as complicated as this has turned out, and that you are willing to treat him. My personal best is three kittens who lived in a bathroom for 5 months. It was do or die and I have never felt sorry about it, especially since one of them just turned 16.

I think that you do need to separate him until you find out if this is a URI. My one major experience with a rescued cat and a URI did not involve bloody snot, or dental problems which is why I also wonder if he does even have a URI or another condition.

Let us know what happens.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for adopting this kitty and giving him a forever home. :thanks: I experienced a similar problem regarding congestion and what turned out to be a URI with our last cat. Clearly the stress of being in a shelter affected her health. The vet gave her nebulizer treatments which helped immensely. There are different forms of nebulization, one of which can be done in your own home/bathroom: Techniques for Nebulization and Coupage in Cats

Best of luck, please keep us posted on his progress after you talk to the vet. :alright:

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise

Unfortunately, culturing nasal discharge has very minimal clinical relevance. There are many natural occurring flora bacteria in the nasal passages and the culture is often overgrown with these flora bacteria. As far as diagnosing a polyp, I sedate and perform an deep oral exam. Typically, the polyp can be seen by retracting the soft palate and the polyp can be grasped and removed. Since he already needs a dental, this is a perfect time to look for a polyp. To get adequate skull X-rays the patient needs to be sedated so that’s why I just jump to the oral exam and skip the skull rads. Plus, skull rads are not very sensitive at diagnosing polyps as they can be small and hidden by other structures. If wanting to do imaging first, would recommend CT but that too requires sedation.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that article, neely neely I have been running a hot shower for 10-15 minutes at least once a day.

I have an appointment with the vet on Monday. (I wish it was sooner, but that's the only day the vet who does dental is in the office.)

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, this poor little man has major issues. The vet was able to see more clearly in his mouth this time. Ulcers and bloody gums galore. Still congested, so she gave him a steroid. Also “magic mouthwash” for the stomatitis. He hates it, but it has to be helping with the pain. It’s a mix of lidocaine, Benadryl, etc. Going to try the nose drops again, but I feel like I’m torturing him. Despite all this, he’s still cuddly and he’s so lonely in that bathroom. Surgery scheduled for 10/26 so hopefully his uri is cleared up by then. They put him on cancellation list for 10/19 so I’m hoping for that. It’s a long haul, but he is going to feel so much better in the end. Who knows how long he’s been in pain.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Poor little boy! Despite what he does not like, keep it up and focus on the fact that you are doing this to help. As I said a few days ago, in the long run this cat is so lucky that you adopted him and have moved forward on his behalf. A lot of people would have brought him back for a healthy cat and, depending on the policy of the shelter or rescue, that might have been the end of the line for him.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor little boy! Despite what he does not like, keep it up and focus on the fact that you are doing this to help. As I said a few days ago, in the long run this cat is so lucky that you adopted him and have moved forward on his behalf. A lot of people would have brought him back for a healthy cat and, depending on the policy of the shelter or rescue, that might have been the end of the line for him.
Thank you. He’s going to spend at least another month in there, so I’m trying to visit as often as I can. I have an outfit that I change in and out of so my other cats don’t catch a URI. Sounds silly, I know. Lol. I would feel so guilty if they got sick. Thanks for your advice and kind words!

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Realized I haven’t shared any pictures of him! Here he is being held by my sister at the shelter. He is three but only weighs 8 lbs. He’s the smallest cat I’ve ever had. He has one milky eye but I’m not sure if he can see out of it or not. He’s just been dealt a rotten deal all around! Things are gonna change, though.
8FCC3DE0-818F-46D5-9BA6-F5E671F461CD.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He looks so happy to be cuddled! What a handsome boy. I don't think I mentioned that I feed a cat who is a "resident" of some apartments nearby, TNRed and left behind by many tenants. I am working on getting her out of there although she is safe and even has a bed now. However, I have "Graycie" clothes that I put on, including shoes, when I go over there and I change them as soon as I get home. It doesn't hurt to be cautious.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed today that he meows before he uses the bathroom. He meow as he digs and spins around and stops meowing as he goes. He doesn’t APPEAR to be in pain and it was #1 and #2. Could it just be a quirck? He doesn’t seem to be straining. I admit I’m a little neurotic when it comes to monitoring my cats and thinking they are sick. LOL.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have a cat who announces whenever he goes into the litterbox. Always has. Some cats ARE quirky :lol:

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It might be my imagination, but I feel like his wheezing has gotten better and I don’t hear him sneezing as much. Maybe those steroids are doing their job!

He doesn’t seem to mind being wrapped in a towel until he realizes I’m coming at him with a dropper full of that nasty mouthwash for the stomatitis. Even after that, he will crawl onto my lap, so he doesn’t hold a grudge. He’s such a sweetie.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yay :cheerleader:. Hopefully he's on the mend URI wise so his other issues can be worked on. Keep up the good work.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One week from now, surgery will be done and little man will have a big cone on his head. The magic mouthwash seems to help, but he's still congested. Not as much snot and sneezing, though. I'm really doubting it's a URI. I think it's his teeth. I gave him a pill the other day and he spit it out and there was blood on it. Those teeth/gums are bloody. I hate that we have to wait another week. At least he's still eating.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You know, I forgot to ever ask...exactly what is he having surgery for? He hasn't been diagnosed with nasal polyps yet, has he? Is he getting his teeth pulled, or a dental, or what? Obviously a dental sounds like it's in order. But that doesn't normally require a cone to be worn afterwards. One of my guys had four teeth pulled at his last dental and never had to wear a cone.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know, I forgot to ever ask...exactly what is he having surgery for? He hasn't been diagnosed with nasal polyps yet, has he? Is he getting his teeth pulled, or a dental, or what? Obviously a dental sounds like it's in order. But that doesn't normally require a cone to be worn afterwards. One of my guys had four teeth pulled at his last dental and never had to wear a cone.
He's getting some teeth pulled and he's getting neutered. (My mom said "poor guy is going to wake up without teeth AND his testicles!" haha) I am really hoping pulling those bloody teeth will fix this. While they are in there, they are going to check for nasal polyps (fingers crossed there aren't any).

My cat Jack didn't wear a cone when he got neutered, but they had it on the quote for Benjamin, so I assumed. I guess we'll find out. I kind of hope not. He's been through so much. That would be just one more aggravation.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I looked more closely at his intake paperwork from the shelter and in small print, they had "eyes clear, congested." So he has been like this since August 3. Who knows how long with his prior owners. They were treating it as a URI at the shelter and I guess it just won't go away. Oh, I really hope it's the teeth and that fixes it.