Persian On A Flight?

Yingling

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi friends!

Yingling, my adorable Persian, and I will be moving soon. The airline wants me to sign an affidavid saying that I have been informed of the risks of flying with a snubbed nose breed. My vet - who I'm starting to think is incompetent - is extremely vague about wether or not there is such a risk. What would you say?

Is it dangerous to take a snub-nose cat breed on a flight in terms of respiratory distress? The other option would be 12 hours on a train, which I think seems worse...

Oh and also; for anyone who has experience traveling with cats: what do you do about having them go to the toilet? You can't just walk them like a dog ...

Thanks so much!

Lindsay and Yingling

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's fine to fly with her in the cabin, with her carrier under the seat in front of you. Is that your plan? I wouldn't suggest flying with her in the cargo hold.

Most cats can go for quite a while without using the litter box. How long is your trip?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yingling

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Thanks! It's only a two hour flight, but we neet to take public transport to and from the airport as well. Including that and waiting time at the airport, the whole ordeal will be about 6-7 hours. Do I let her out to go to the toilet or something (are there things to carry for this purpose?)
She will be with us on the flight. I'm mainly concerned about breathing problems with this breed. As long as it's not dangerous, I'll do it, but I don't want to risk anything and would consider a boat, but that will take forever. I don't know about calming products, is that safe?

Thanks again!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since airplane cabins are pressurized and temperature controlled for humans, it's fine for cats, even flat-faced cats. I know lots of people who fly with their flat-faced Persians to shows. I wouldn't worry about it being dangerous for her, as long as she is in the cabin with you.

She should be fine for 6-7 hours in the carrier. I frequently go on longer flights with my cats. Has she traveled in a carrier by car? Is she fairly calm in the carrier?

About calming products... You don't want to use medication, such as a tranquilizer, on the cat, unless it's something your cat normally takes every day. I don't use any type of calming products with my cats when I travel, but some people use products such as Feliway spray. If you do use any product, make sure your cat is accustomed to it before you travel. Cats can have different reactions to things like that.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I’ve read, this can be dangerous and some airlines actually don’t let the flat faced pets flying at all. It’s similar with flat faced dogs, maybe try googling that. Personally I’d look for alternatives but this is based only on what I found in the internet when I was researching the topic of flying with cats. Maybe ask vet about some inhaler or similar solution in case of problems?

I flew with my two cats over the Ocean last year, and they didn’t use the toilet for the whole duration of the journey. They had puppy pads in their carrier. But I also was taking them to the secluded place and took out the foldable litter box I had and added their litter, but one of them was too interested in the surroundings, and the other one was too scared to leave the carrier, so they didn’t pee the entire time. All the rest was great and they used litter box first thing when we finally got home.

Sedation can be dangerous, but you can try natural options. My cats had calming collars and they worked great. Also the feliway spray, but I’m not sure if it worked.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I’ve read, this can be dangerous and some airlines actually don’t let the flat faced pets flying at all. It’s similar with flat faced dogs, maybe try googling that. Personally I’d look for alternatives but this is based only on what I found in the internet when I was researching the topic of flying with cats.
There is a risk to brachycephalic (short-faced) cats and dogs when the cat or dog is traveling in the cargo hold. This does not apply when the cat or dog is traveling in the cabin (as long as you don't put it in the overhead bin!!)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I'd forgotten about that unfortunate situation of the puppy in the overhead bin :(

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a risk to brachycephalic (short-faced) cats and dogs when the cat or dog is traveling in the cargo hold. This does not apply when the cat or dog is traveling in the cabin (as long as you don't put it in the overhead bin!!)
I’d hoped that the cabin is completely risk free, but on the other hand, the cabin is rarely air pressurized to the “normal” human level, more often to the mountainous level, is it still completely safe for these kind of breeds?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not heard of a risk to Persian cats from traveling in the cabin, and I know lots of Persian exhibitors who travel all year with their flat-faced extreme show cats... Some of these cats fly in the cabin 20-50 times a year or even more. I would not worry about traveling in the cabin, as long as the cat is in a proper carrier with ventilation.

Of course there is always a small amount of risk in anything we do. But putting it in perspective, flying is safer than driving...

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course there is always a small amount of risk in anything we do. But putting it in perspective, flying is safer than driving...
Absolutely! I hope it's the same amount of "risk" as for other cats, I'm guessing even non snub-nose cats can have some mild "side effects" simply from being in a non familiar air environment. For that reason I was really nervous before flying with my cats but everything went so smooth and they were so relaxed the whole time. So my worrying was totally useless :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Off topic, but... She's a witch She's a witch , I have to say that every time you mention flying with your cats, I look at your avatar and imagine them sitting on your broom with you :)

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Off topic, but... She's a witch She's a witch , I have to say that every time you mention flying with your cats, I look at your avatar and imagine them sitting on your broom with you :)
Ha ha ha ha ha! That’d be so much more natural than having them in the plane :))) and so much less stressful:))

Last edited:

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would take my cat on a plane if you are able to take the cat in the cat carrier and sit with you for the short 2 hours flight. I wouldn't trust the airline company to put my pet in the cargo hold, you cant trust them with your luggage why trust them with your pets life. 1 . Cargo hold can become hot and stuffy making it unable to breathe, 2. If there are another animals there your cat will be stressed out if there are dogs etc . 3. No proper ventilation. 4. If you are using medications to calm your cat down in an unknown environment wont help your cat, considering the airplane makes a lot of noise and all the above combined will stress your cat out making her breathe or pant more. I would catch the train, its safer, you will be with your cat at all times and your cat wont need to listen to the airplane jets and you wont have to worry if the person who is looking after your cat threw the crate into the cargo hold or placed her near something heating up while the plane is flying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yingling

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

Thanks so much for all your reactions, the catsite is amazing :) Overall, I'm hearing that it will be fine as long as she is on the plane with me (which will be the case). I think we'll go for it then, we are seeing the vet on monday to have her cleared for travel (don't tell her! ;).

Have a nice day x

toiletduck544

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I’m also thinking of flying with my Persian cat. How did it go? Was she afraid and super nervous during take off? Was she ok breathing in the cabin with you?any feedback will be of great help! Thanks!
Hi all!

Thanks so much for all your reactions, the catsite is amazing :) Overall, I'm hearing that it will be fine as long as she is on the plane with me (which will be the case). I think we'll go for it then, we are seeing the vet on monday to have her cleared for travel (don't tell her! ;).

Have a nice day x

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
This is an old thread and the Original Poster hasn't been back. You might start a new thread of your own.
If you're not familiar with how to do that, I can help. :)