Persian - Dandruff and Mats

maxmadi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. 

One of my cats has dry flakey skin on her back, and the hair here gets matted easily. (She is a Persian.) I recently added some salmon oil to her food, but she's very picky and seems to be avoiding it now. I've read some articles that suggest bathing a long-haired cat, and others not to. Of note I do brush her regularly, and she is an indoor cat. 

Any suggestions to help her skin and hair?

Thank you.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From your description, most likely it is stud tail. Don't be fooled by the name - females can have it and it isn't always on the tail. The best thing to do if that is the problem ( be sure there is no other skin irritation going on before assuming it is stud tail) is to give her a degreasing bath. There are degreasers made for pets, called Groomers Goop. You can also start with Dawn dish soap. Just make sure you cut it with water first -50/50 or you will have a difficult time rinsing it out. Use a comb on her coat, not a brush. A brush does not get down to the skin so you will have mats form.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Stud tail is likely, although have you changed her food recently? One of our boys is part Persian and used to have to dry patch on his back until we switched him off of dry food...suddenly it was gone. Some cats have an overactive gland, so are more prone to skin problems and the base of the tail/back seems to be a hot spot.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxmadi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys. I don't think  it's stud tail because her hair isn't greasy there, and there are no blackheads on her skin. In fact, her skin and hair are just really dry there. I haven't switched her food. She's been on the same kibble (Origin's Regional) since November of last year. I've tried giving her (and her brother) wet food as a treat, but they don't seem to eat anything but the kibble. 

Does anyone know of a cat lotion that would be okay for her dry skin? Or is coconut oil safe to put on her back?

maxmadi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*Orijen Regional Red. 

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm...if there's no oil, then your idea of adding oil to her food is a good one...if you can find one she'll eat. Will she eat pill pockets? you could try putting the oil capsules in one of them and making it a treat.

I know over in the kitten forum, they recommend Udder Balm for nursing mom-cats with dry skin. Something like that might help.

maxmadi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. [emoji]9786[/emoji]️