Peripheral vestibular disease

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it all started on Thursday had to take both cat's to the vet Patches had a sore throat and Bandits third eyelid was showing one coughing the other sneezing. Told they had cat flu given eye drops for Bandit and anti imflamatery medicine for Patches. Then on Saturday night had to take Bandit to the emergency vets his balance had gone and he was falling over, It was terrible I thought I was losing him. Anyway they diagnosed peripheral vestibular disease so gave him a couple of shots and sent us home because I already had a follow up booked at my vet for Monday. They think by middle ear infection. By Monday he was still very unsteady but improved alot from what he was. And patches now had a eye infection just to put the iceing on the cake. :dunno: So eye drops for Patches more antibiotics for Bandit. Hoping this works and he makes a good recovery today he has improved a little bit more and as long he is on the floor can run and walk without falling over. He's still got a head tilt but does seem to be improving by the day we are back at the vets on Monday and will update when I've been. Has anyone had any experience of this need a good news story. If I've posted in the wrong place please move it to the right Thank you in advance.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad he is a little better. A middle ear infection can definitely affect his balance. Antibiotics should start to work in a few days providing it is bacterial. if it is viral, it will just take time. Watch for any discharge from the ears, and definitely do not give him a bath or get any water near his ears. A steroid shot may help too if it is inflamed. I've had several cats that have had this and they all got better with antibiotics. Give liquid antibiotics in a lickable treat, cats love them, or the juice off of tuna,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad he is a little better. A middle ear infection can definitely affect his balance. Antibiotics should start to work in a few days providing it is bacterial. if it is viral, it will just take time. Watch for any discharge from the ears, and definitely do not give him a bath or get any water near his ears. A steroid shot may help too if it is inflamed. I've had several cats that have had this and they all got better with antibiotics. Give liquid antibiotics in a lickable treat, cats love them, or the juice off of tuna,
Thank you for replying and the advice he's been given tablets he is not to bad at taking them there's two of us so I can pop it to the back of his throat. I have tuna just in case. My vet never said about him not getting his ears wet so definitely won't be washing them. It's good to hear from someone who has dealt with this before. Thanks again made me feel a lot better about this. I've been so worried about him.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you see a discharge from his ears, I have taken a Q tip and rubbed it in a little antibiotic salve and cleaned the ears with that. DO NOT go into the ear canal itself, that can pack in the discharge and cause more problems. Water in the ear canal can get trapped in the middle ear and cause infections. There is usually a hole in the eardrum for this to happen. The hole will heal in time or maybe not, then there is a little hearing loss.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you see a discharge from his ears, I have taken a Q tip and rubbed it in a little antibiotic salve and cleaned the ears with that. DO NOT go into the ear canal itself, that can pack in the discharge and cause more problems. Water in the ear canal can get trapped in the middle ear and cause infections. There is usually a hole in the eardrum for this to happen. The hole will heal in time or maybe not, then there is a little hearing loss.
Thanks will do. I've not seen any discharge neither did my vet on the first visit for his eye. Even the er vet said it's unusual not to have outer ear infection first then it move to middle. He said it normally happens in older cats but from what I've seen online it can happen at any age.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have also had a cat with it (my vet teasingly calls it 'Drunken Cat syndrome). Maggie was out of commission for awhile with it. I had to crate her and help her go to the box because she fell over anytime she tried to walk. She is perfectly fine now, with just a bit of permanent head tilt - which isn't uncommon. She was on antibiotics and something for nausea (not fun giving them to her since she is my psycho cat).

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have also had a cat with it (my vet teasingly calls it 'Drunken Cat syndrome). Maggie was out of commission for awhile with it. I had to crate her and help her go to the box because she fell over anytime she tried to walk. She is perfectly fine now, with just a bit of permanent head tilt - which isn't uncommon. She was on antibiotics and something for nausea (not fun giving them to her since she is my psycho cat).
Thank you for replying luckily I haven't had to crate him. He goes to the high sided litter box and uses the corner for balance. I was panicking when it happened but not so much now. I get why your vet calls it that. Mine calls Bandit Mr Wobbly. It helps hearing that other's have been there done that. With a good result at the end.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a quick update. It's all going well Bandit is back to annoying Patches. His balance is coming back he can get up and down the stairs without falling and is jumping from the back of the couch to the cat tree. He still has a slight head tilt but is nearly back to wear he was. Thank you again for advice and feel good stories I was panicking and you guys helped me. Love this site. :thumbsup:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another update yesterday we woke to find Bandit had been sick and his balance had gone again. Not like when it first happened but still bad, his head had a awful tilt. We had a appointment that morning with the vet booked already so didn't panic to much. When we got there she said she thought it was because his last dose of antibiotics had left his system. He had taken the last of his tablets the night before. This time she gave me different antibiotics and antimflamatry also said he'll be kept on them for 4 to 6 weeks. Got him home and got his antibiotics in him by tea time saw he was improving. This morning we are back to were we was head tilt a lot better and balance okay still a little unstable. I guess I'm just frustrated because of the set back. Did any of you have set backs how long did you have your babies on antibiotics? I'm sorry for the long post.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bandit and Patches said I should tell you Thank you neely neely and of course their mum is grateful for the link.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully this will be my last update on this. We are at the vet on Friday hopefully to be signed off. Bandit is doing great his head tilt is almost gone but it does look like a slight tilt will stay. Balance is good even if he's a bit wobbly when he first wakes up. I've been putting off neutering until the vet gives the all clear so have booked him in for Monday depending on Friday's check up. It's been stressful, scary and expensive his insurance hadn't kicked in and now he's not covered if this happens again but the little guy is worth it. Who could resist that face.
IMG_20201101_223554.jpg
IMG_20201108_073412.jpg