Perfume - toxic or not?

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's a question someone asked me today...it made me curious. Of course perfume is dangerous to cats if ingested...but what about when we wear it on our skin or clothing and then hold or pet our cats?

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always thought cats, mine anyway, don't like artificial scents. It may give them allergies, not so much as purfume will, but, maybe those Glade plug-ins, or any other spray to get rid of odors. Or maybe scented litter might give allergies. Just my thoughts. We live in a chemical world, don't we.

BTW, I have heard that those plug-ins cause fires.

moonlights mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whenever I put on perfume, Moonlight stays far away. He hates the smell. I don't think any cats are big on scents. We got him new shampoo tomorrow and I was stupid and forgot and had him smell it. He turned his head way in disgust.

I don't use any scented plugins. We do have air machines, for my brother and I allergies, but it's not scented. I don't think perfume is toxic to kitties, probably just not good to inhale.

shellbell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use Jergan's Cherry Almond lotion after my shower every morning. When I go into the bedroom, my cat Baxter takes off for the other room when I am still a few feet away. Cats can be very sensitive to smells. I am not sure if it would hurt them though, aside from allergy problems.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CATS are EXTREMELY sensitive to smells like many essential oils are NOT safe to be used in the same HOUSE as a cat ...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say no if holding the cat. However your cat may not like the perfume and try to get away from you.

Was really funny but I got an Avon sample one time and opened it up. The females sniffed it and ran off with the most disguested looks on their faces. The males followed me around....go figure

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
I didnt know that about essential oils....

yeah I have noticed most cats dont like strong smelling perfumes! I guess if they drank a bottle of it then if would be toxic. and as for wearing it as long as they dont lick you straight after putting it on I would that they would be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your replies...we just want our babies safe!

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

BTW, I have heard that those plug-ins cause fires.
That's just a rumor. If you go to snopes.com and search plug-ins and fire, it comes up with the story and how it's false.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yam102284

That's just a rumor. If you go to snopes.com and search plug-ins and fire, it comes up with the story and how it's false.
When the fire department came to my door looking for donations, we were talking about those plug-ins and this coming from the fire department. I trust a fire department's say on this one, remember when those baby monitors caught fire?

diana karan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat loves... I mean ADORES... the scent to Jicky which is a perfume invented in 1895. She grooms me all over and I am torn between letting hr have that leisure and shooing her away. She always groomed me but the Jicky makes it 100% more attractive to her. Just Jicky, no other scant. Any tips explanations?View media item 239714

stiletto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always spray standing away from my cats. On occasion, they get a whiff and make a face. But that's it. I think it's fine as long as you're not spraying it on them, or have them in the "trajectory".