Perfect Free Disposable Nest for Birthing Queens + tips for last stage pregnant cats

Persiankittens

Snowheart Persians
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey!

To anyone that's trying to create the perfect nest for your lovely queen. I don't know if this is allowed, but I thought I'd write what I've been doing

I've been breeding cats for about 10 years. That being said, I won't pretend I know all the answers (I don't, and I visit this site just about every time my queens are close to labor to dust up on any extra knowledge that may have popped up since my last litter) but what I am confident is in my go-to nest ideas.

Depending on how many litters we're having, I have 2 main go tos. Before that, the free disposable nest, in case that's all you're here for:

Costco boxes! You don't even need a membership, people regularly leave the box outside by the carts or you can even ask an employee nicely if they could please grab you a box. This box type is a regular addition to any Costco trip and it is absolutely perfect for any queen.

I buy baby blankets on clearance at tj/Ross/ Marshall's to line the nest. Usually one or two is destined to stay home for the next birth as its demolished and stained but all blankets used after the first week or so are perfect to reuse and send kittens home with them.

Where I place the box:

1. The bedroom; this one is a no brainer, but aside from 'the bedroom' what more can you do to make it comfortable for her?

I love the soft sided hexagon pens. I will place it in a corner and cover it with a sheet. I used to buy them on Amazon but petco/petsmart onlinealways has a good deal and you can get a much better quality pen for $25 range. If this is not an option, placing the nest in the closet is also a good bet.

No other cat is allowed in this room once the nest is up. The litter box goes in the room along with the queen at nighttime about 1-2 weeks before birth.

When her belly drops, she is then confined to the bedroom with the box in the pen, and also a box placed in a spot she frequents so she has two choices. They usually go for the box in the pen. You can also throw a bunch of balled up paper towels into the nest for digging. They're perfect because they're disposable, you can use them to help wipe away fluids from the airways and it'll all still smell like mom.

The pen is also lined with potty pads. Inside and underneath.

The Costco ones are the biggest and best bang for the buck but naturally, get them anywhere.

2. The bathroom. We are fortunate enough to have 3 bathrooms, so it really depends on your circumstance, but I like to do the same thing as the bedroom, except she is placed nightly until labor signs are showing then she starts there until she gives birth and no cat is allowed inside for the last week or so. The nest isn't placed inside until the door is closed to all other cats. (No scent but her own)

I'm sure there will be someone that may puff up and have an argument about this, but I have 11 breeding cats that are all inside the house. This is what works for me and has worked well.

Feel free to take or leave whatever tips you need from this. But the Costco boxes are the best. Honestly.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Persiankittens

Snowheart Persians
Young Cat
Purraise
Also! I like to place a bin or rectangle laundry box on its side and slip it underneath the box and place a sheet over it so it's like a tiny little den for her. Just make sure you put towel or something underneath so its stable and not wobbly anywhere. A sheet is draped and tucked under everything but one entry.

Totally forgot to add that part!

Persiankittens

Snowheart Persians
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone else that has ideas or tips that you use, I would love to hear them! No such thing as too much knowledge 😊

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see it stands organic. Its pretty important I think. This way we are sure there arent no rests or residues of any really harmful chemicals.

(I suppose it was bananas there. Commercial bananas may be rather heavy sprayed with chemicals. Organic not, or at least, much less).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And of course, if you use natural material, so straw, not hay. Its true for bedding for outside cats. But if you by any reason do it as part of a nest, its better here too. Even if in a nest at home, where you change it frequently, and its warmish anyway, its not that touchy.

Last edited:

Persiankittens

Snowheart Persians
Young Cat
Purraise
I see it stands organic. Its pretty important I think. This way we are sure there arent no rests or residues of any really harmful chemicals.
That's a great point, I didn't even think of that!

Thankfully all of costco's produce is usually prepackaged in bags and the boxes are simply a carrier for these bags.

Definitely a good thought to have in mind, though, thank you!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Costco boxes for cat beds, and Costco plush throws. I suppose they aren't much to look at but but my house isn't Better Homes and Gardens material anyway, lol. The throws are much easier to wash than regular cat beds, and the boxes can be replaced as often an necessary.

And, yeah, Costco stuff is mostly prepackaged; the boxes are just to keep it from getting squished in transit. I don't think we have to worry about chemical residue.

Persiankittens

Snowheart Persians
Young Cat
Purraise
The throws are much easier to wash than regular cat beds, and the boxes can be replaced as often an necessary.
That is genius!! I don't know why I didn't think of that, those blankets are crazy cheap!

I always have to yell at myself every time I go to Costco because I always think 'wow, what a great deal on a blanket, I should buy one!' But now, I actually have a reason to pick up a $10 queen sized throw every time I go 😂

*it's for the cats it's for the cats it's for the cats*

Persiankittens

Snowheart Persians
Young Cat
Purraise
This is an excellent thread for new fosters who are caring for pregnant kitties. Thank you for posting it !
Yay, I'm glad you think so! 😊

I remember starting out 10 years ago and thinking "ahhh.. where to possibly begin...?"

We have it down to a science now, so hopefully it'll help someone in a pinch, but most importantly help a new momma kitty feel safe and secure with her new fluffs 💜