percentages of haretoday grinds

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I plan to use the hare today meat/bones/organs mixes for my guys. I read that the bone is too high and you may need to mix some meat in.. but does anyone actually know the specifics? Im looking for the bone percentage in chicken, turkey, duck, rabbit, pork and probably beef. Im assuming it would not be the same % for all of these..

Im also wondering about organs.. how much of each of the above is organ, and which organs? like do they count heart as an organ because I have read you should count it as a meat. Also, liver.. what is the percent of that?

If anyone knows it would be appreciated! :D

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmmm, I notice the ground beef mix is the ONLY one that actually breaks it down for you.  It's 6% bone, and 7% organs, (although that includes the heart, which is technically considered "meat".

For all the others, just email Traci and ask her.  That's what I have done in the past.  But it's true mainly on the poultry, so what I do is order extra poultry organ mix, which is hearts, liver and gizzards and add that to the grinds.  For instance, if I am buying a 5 lb chub of the finely ground chicken mix, then I will buy a 1 lb chub of the ground chicken organ mix, and mix the two together, then add enough Alnutrin for 6 lbs of food.  Same with turkey, only I will buy a 1 lb. chub of TURKEY organ mix to add to it

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'll have to look up tissue percentages - which I think only exist for rabbit and mouse for whole animal. Check the links in the Raw Feeding Resource thread.

Her grinds, other than beef, are the entire animal without the entrails. I think that's true for goat and llama too - when the tripe (stomach lining of grazing animals) is included, it's mentioned.

That's why the percentages aren't listed: she doesn't make them out of separate parts. This is one of the reasons I include Hare Today ground food in my cats mostly PMR rotation. I like that they're getting ALL the organs of the animals.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I notice the ground beef mix is the ONLY one that actually breaks it down for you.  It's 6% bone, and 7% organs, (although that includes the heart, which is technically considered "meat".

For all the others, just email Traci and ask her.  That's what I have done in the past.  But it's true mainly on the poultry, so what I do is order extra poultry organ mix, which is hearts, liver and gizzards and add that to the grinds.  For instance, if I am buying a 5 lb chub of the finely ground chicken mix, then I will buy a 1 lb chub of the ground chicken organ mix, and mix the two together, then add enough Alnutrin for 6 lbs of food.  Same with turkey, only I will buy a 1 lb. chub of TURKEY organ mix to add to it :rolleyes:
Thankyou I will do that :)

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You'll have to look up tissue percentages - which I think only exist for rabbit and mouse for whole animal. Check the links in the Raw Feeding Resource thread.

Her grinds, other than beef, are the entire animal without the entrails. I think that's true for goat and llama too - when the tripe (stomach lining of grazing animals) is included, it's mentioned.

That's why the percentages aren't listed: she doesn't make them out of separate parts. This is one of the reasons I include Hare Today ground food in my cats mostly PMR rotation. I like that they're getting ALL the organs of the animals.
But I don't need to worry about the percentages recomended then? The whole 80 meat to 10 bone to 10 organ..5 being liver..? I guess ita just the same as feedijg whole prey..

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the larger animals have more bone-to-muscle than mice. And rabbits are about 10% bone. But don't forget - that's 10% bone of an animal including the guts and fur, etc. (Of course, Tracy does have whole ground rabbit, fur and all!).

So the whole animal ground mixes may have too much calcium for some kitties. I have two cats that are sensitive to the amount of bone in food, and tend to get constipated.

But as to the 80/10/5/5 PMR guideline, no, you don't need to worry about it. You're feeding basically the whole animal. I do think it's best to add something like Alnutrin (the one without calcium), and still provide egg yolks and sardines (or another source of omega 3). You can either feed those as treats, or mix egg yolks into the thawed ground food, batch it up, and refreeze it. I use the Hare Today BECAUSE it is whole ground animal - but I need to hide the egg yolks in a ground food, because too many of my cats don't like eating them. They're not a "treat" for them. :lol3:

IF you're going to add salmon oil to the ground food before re-freezing, you do need to add the vitamin E to prevent it from oxidizing. You can just follow the instructions on how much to add per how much ground food via Dr. Pierson's recipe on http://www.catinfo.org. :nod:

As to the potential constipation issue... if it even IS one for your kitty, since you can feed up to 15% of the diet without being balanced, if you feed 3 meals a day, that's 21 meals a week, and you can just give her a few meals a week (up to 3) without balancing.

Or do what mrsgreenjeens does - order some ground meat or organ only stuff, and mix in 5% or 10% to the ground whole animal stuff to thin it out. :nod:

But yeah - in her "organ" mixes, Tracy includes things like lungs, hearts and gizzards. For PMR purposes, these are all muscle meats. Only the kidney and liver in the organ mixes are secreting organs. Using the ground organ mixes, as mrsgreenjeens does, will add a nutritional boost that just plain ground meat wouldn't - without running the risk of "too much" of any vitamin. :)

Last edited:

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've decided I want to do sheep and also cavie and quail bc its whole fround..plus one day I want to feed whole prey so feeding those ground first may help I'd think.m

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea I would just use the organ grinds to tone down some of the meats...the whole grinds I'd likely not add extra tho...alnutrin eggs and oil are deffinates though. Ill add the oil before I serve though.

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry about the typos..my phone is awful. It doesn't let me see what I type either.