(per Basepaws) Somali/abyssinian Cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
that's totally a match!

seriously though if you mixed a somali and a american short hair you might get something that looks kinda like dante.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
That's interesting. I wonder what they'll come up with for my red tabby... How long did it take you to get the results, thefiresidecat thefiresidecat ?

I've had my own DNA analysed by 23andme about 15 years ago. What I like about this service is that they keep coming up with new stuff as the database keep growing. They also change some estimates based on new data, which is fine and interesting to watch. I also like that my sample is used to promote scientific research in the field.

Basepaws has a similar model. They're a smaller company so I really hope we'll still hear from them in 15 years but if that will be the case and more people send in their cat DNA then I'm sure they will get more accurate.

More importantly, they'll start providing health information about cats, which is what I was hoping to get to begin with. Of course, my Gingi probably won't be with us by then (he's 16 now) but hopefully other cats will benefit from the information gathered. And humans too. That's what I liked the most about them, really. I believe they work with UCLA - looks like their people are working in the lab there - and the data is used for general research in the field of genetics too.

Anyway, those were the reasons that compelled me to send in my cat's sample. He's a red tabby DSH, I couldn't care less about his ancestry :lol:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the person I talked to also predicted he was short hair and a ginger.. I honestly wonder if they crossed my report with someone elses.
It is just hard for me to believe that Basepaws can seriously present themselves as a feline genetic testing company and charge money for their product, if they still cannot even determine from your cat's DNA if it is a longhaired or shorthaired cat. I have personally been testing my cats for the longhair gene through UC Davis since 2010, and they have been offering the test longer than that... the results are reliable and it takes them no more than 1-2 days to do the test after they receive my cats' swabs in the mail... this is a basic, well understood genetic test that is offered by labs all over the world.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
seriously though if you mixed a somali and a american short hair you might get something that looks kinda like dante.
If you crossed a Somali with an American Shorthair, you would get a short haired, ticked tabby cat.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you crossed a Somali with an American Shorthair, you would get a short haired, ticked tabby cat.
lol well that's not it then. hehe not all of what I've seen of somalis are ticked. there is a smoke version that is accepted in some cat associations I've been reading about.
That's interesting. I wonder what they'll come up with for my red tabby... How long did it take you to get the results, thefiresidecat thefiresidecat ?

I've had my own DNA analysed by 23andme about 15 years ago. What I like about this service is that they keep coming up with new stuff as the database keep growing. They also change some estimates based on new data, which is fine and interesting to watch. I also like that my sample is used to promote scientific research in the field.

Basepaws has a similar model. They're a smaller company so I really hope we'll still hear from them in 15 years but if that will be the case and more people send in their cat DNA then I'm sure they will get more accurate.

More importantly, they'll start providing health information about cats, which is what I was hoping to get to begin with. Of course, my Gingi probably won't be with us by then (he's 16 now) but hopefully other cats will benefit from the information gathered. And humans too. That's what I liked the most about them, really. I believe they work with UCLA - looks like their people are working in the lab there - and the data is used for general research in the field of genetics too.

Anyway, those were the reasons that compelled me to send in my cat's sample. He's a red tabby DSH, I couldn't care less about his ancestry :lol:

I sent in the sample mid feb. so not as bad as it has been for some people.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just finished #BasePaws DNA CatKit Update #7 – Tommy Gargoyle
These are so funny. His fourth looks like it should be his first, and these are great descriptions they provide for the breeds.
basepaws has some work to do. I hope they do finally get their act together. but right now it's mostly an expensive parlour game. (at least that's the feeling I get, maybe I'm wrong.. I hope I am)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Basepaws' jobs page advertises that their jobs are located at LA BioMed, which is not exactly UCLA. It does a lot of industry sponsored research and also acts as a biotech startup incubator, which is what is relevant here. Basepaws is a for-profit startup, not a research focused lab. There are real veterinary genetics labs out there (for felines, good examples being UC Davis and U. Missouri with its Feline Genome Project) and real research being performed and published by amazing researchers who are truly committed to advancing feline health. UCLA doesn't even have a vet school. It's difficult for me to believe the people at Basepaws are seriously motivated by the possibility of advancing feline veterinary medicine.

Last edited:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not all of what I've seen of somalis are ticked. there is a smoke version that is accepted in some cat associations I've been reading about.
Some associations accept silver Somalis, but this is still a ticked tabby cat.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got my first report back from basepaws. I was most curious about the breed report. the wildcat report seems to me like pure fantasy since most of the cats can't interbreed with domestics anyways.

So, I have a Japanese street cat that even looks like a j-bob without the tail mutation and the closest breed result was Persian?...

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Just got my first report back from basepaws. I was most curious about the breed report. the wildcat report seems to me like pure fantasy since most of the cats can't interbreed with domestics anyways.

So, I have a Japanese street cat that even looks like a j-bob without the tail mutation and the closest breed result was Persian?...

Persians are a super popular breed, so, statistically speaking, it’s not such a long-shot, but, I agree that’s if she does have Persian influence, she’s hiding it well.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
updated report. abbyssinian is still his number one result saying he is 99.5 percent more similar than other cats to this breed.. lol. I guess it's something we just can't see... the next at 95% most similar is ragdoll that one makes more sense. I saw wedgy in his looks but outside of that my next guesses just f rom looking were ragdoll and british longhair. British short hair is the third result 87.7 and wedgy is fourth at 55.5 most similar. they say he is 36 percent moggy. the results make a lot more sense now but I really am not seeing the abby at all.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't articulated it for the blog because I'm in the middle of medication ups and downs WOOOO!
My russian blue mix says he's got way more Ragdoll than anyone, including his ragdoll looking norwegian forest cat mutant sissy. She has more russian blue than he does, but she also has ragdoll and norwegian forest cat.

It concerns me that they found persian genes, because they are like the french terrier for cats, and have been harmed more by breeding than upholding breeding practices for the betterment of the breed.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
dante had some persian in there too. I agree. what they've done to persians is terrible.

his full ranking was going on from what I already said,
5 persian 45%
6 russian blue 25%
7 american short hair 11%
8 maine coon 10%
9 turkish angora 8 %

british short hairs were interbred with persians to save the breed (that's how they got the longhaired british short hair) Ragdolls were bred from moggies (who knows if they were all moggie or had some actual breed influence) norwegians are distantly related to maine coons.

I ahve kits for all my cats but dante was the only one we did right away. now that they don't require the saliva I really need to get on the ball with getting my two purebreds done. I"m really curious what their results will look like. (maine coon and siberian)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember that the Basepaws results do not indicate that your cat has ANCESTRY from the breeds listed. It doesn't mean your cat "has some Persian in him," or Russian Blue, Ragdoll, or whatever. It only means that your cat shares some DNA with other cats in the Basepaws database that are labeled as those breeds (and the coverage in their database is another question altogether). Shared DNA between your cat and a Persian in the database might indicate a common ancestor many, many centuries in the past, long before these breeds even existed. Cat breeds have not existed for very long.

Also note that most of your cat's DNA doesn't affect the things you can see (like color, hair length, etc). The things you can see are controlled by a very small number of genes. So your cat could share a lot of DNA with a Russian Blue, and not look anything like a Russian Blue. Or your cat could look similar to a Russian Blue, but not actually have much DNA in common with Russian Blues.