People with rescue kitties: are you still in contact with their fosters?

skygem

Guardian of a little old grandpa named Rayleigh
Young Cat
Purraise
So I'm just curious, for people who've adopted their kitties from shelters or rescues, do yiu keep in touch with your cat's foster (if they had one)?

For me, we follow each other on insta and text once in a while. Sometimes she asks me how he's been if we haven't talked in a while and it's really nice to know how loved my boy was in his time in their home. It also means I get to see lots of cute pics of the newborn kittensthey have now!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am in touch with ours.

The rescue we got our 2nd cat from also was running an in-store adoption event weekly at one of our local pet supply stores. So I saw her quite a bit. Also, we run into each other at the vet a lot too since we use the same one. Or supermarkets lol.
We're very friendly, but not like hang out friendly. She loves seeing photos!

It's been years since we got Bean from her but I still support the rescue financially. they do great work.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Kabby never had a foster. He was from the SPCA and was already an adult when he was rescued. He was housed at a satellite shelter location.

Indy had a foster but they only sent us one photo and never heard a peep from them even when I was concerned about her weepy eye, they communicated via what's app or some other app I still don't understand and that doesn't help. The rescue organization however does communicate via email and acted as a bridge when I was trying to talk about her eye.

Eventually my vet said it was most likely scar tissue in her tear duct, not an infection or pink eye. She does have feline herpes and it probably is from that.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I adopted my kitty (as a kitten) from a rescue that didn't know much about her, because they got her from a TNR organization a couple hours before I picked her up. I actually reached out to her TNR organization unsuccessfully first, trying to learn more about her. My first try went unanswered but my second attempt connected me with her original foster as a feral kitten. I was so happy to have just that much update, I didn't think I could ask for more. I'd totally be happy to stay in touch with her foster if that were an option.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I texted Lelia's foster mom a few times in the beginning and then eventually lost her phone number when I got a new phone. I used to see her a couple times a year at the big events the TNR did. I last saw her in Jan 2020 and showed her a few of my wedding pictures with Lelia in them. I haven't seen her since to tell her about Lelia's human baby sister, but hopefully I'll see her again someday.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so encouraging to hear that some of you have been able to keep in touch with the fosters. As a foster , I can tell you that when I hear from the families that now love the kitties, babies or adults, that passed through my home, it is the very best feeling for me. It’s a huge relief to know that the ones I loved, still love, are in a place where the love continues. No matter how many kitties have left here, I still think about every one of them and I still miss them. Thank you for taking the time to let the fosters know. :heartshape:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't keep in touch personally with any of the fosters. But our shelter we adopt from has a facebook page and you will often see adopters post little updates with photos on the site, fosters and those who run the shelter will reply to the posts. We have also provided some updates about our little ones, they all really appreciate them. It's a good way to keep in touch without having to give out your personal information or be required to keep up a relationship with someone if you don't want to. I can imagine that as much as the fosters like updates or if adopters want additional information...it might get to be a bit much for the foster to stay connected with everyone, one on one, and I'm not sure about shelters in your areas, but ours is ridiculously busy.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted my cat Sonny from a friend who was doing private rescue at the time with her own funds. I helped socialize the entire litter when they were kittens. He was adopted out and then returned. I fell in love with him when he was a baby but the timing was wrong because I was dealing with a sick senior cat named Claude. The day Claude had to be put to sleep my friend called and told me Sonny had been returned to her. I told her about Claude and she told me that if we were still interested in adopting Sonny she would keep him for us until we were ready. We adopted him two days later. My friend is also my cat sitter so we are in regular contact and Sonny still gets to see her. He got really sick due to a partial blockage and she paid for his very expensive emergency care. We did not sign a formal contract to adopt Sonny. I found out after Sonny had recovered that my friend had a clause in her adoption contract about providing help with medical care. My friend honored the clause in her contract that we never signed to save Sonny's life. My friend stopped doing rescue to take care of her elderly mom. She was not even doing rescue anymore when she paid for Sonny's medical care.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't keep in touch personally with any of the fosters. But our shelter we adopt from has a facebook page and you will often see adopters post little updates with photos on the site, fosters and those who run the shelter will reply to the posts. We have also provided some updates about our little ones, they all really appreciate them. It's a good way to keep in touch without having to give out your personal information or be required to keep up a relationship with someone if you don't want to. I can imagine that as much as the fosters like updates or if adopters want additional information...it might get to be a bit much for the foster to stay connected with everyone, one on one, and I'm not sure about shelters in your areas, but ours is ridiculously busy.
If I kept in touch with all the people who'd adopted kittens or adult cats from my cat-rooms, I'd have a full-time job replying. :) But there are a number of people who send photos, or I see pictures of their cats on Facebook or WhatsApp-Status, and I do appreciate that. Sometimes I am invited to visit which is quite an honour!
Unfortunately, the shelter has a new member of the board, who has taken on the task of being solely responsible for adoptions. She is always present when a would-be adopter comes to look at a cat or kittens and doesn't let the fostermama say a word about either the character of the animal, its habits, or even medical problems. She knows everything better and refuses to let us give the new cat owners our telephone numbers. She takes all the praise and thanks but when things go wrong ..... well, it was never her fault, was it?

So, I and many others have stopped fostering (at least officially). There are fortunately a few poor souls who are willing to foster so long as all their expenses are paid. They are treated like underdogs. But I refuse to take care of, bottlefeed, feed, clean-up after, numerous strays and kittens with giadia, worms, fleas, lice, ringworm, get them neutered and then have no say in what happens to them after their 2 or 3 months spent with me. I've kept my last fosters! :lol:
Our annual general meeting (postponed because of COVID-19) will hopefully take place this summer - we'll see who gets elected.
(I'm considered to be far TOO OLD but I'm not complaining!)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, for Austin, she knows we love and spoil him. We don't have any contact information for Cricket's foster, but we send the rescue pictures and updates. Also, I have been a voluteer with that rescue so they know me and know me. I haven't been there since the pandemic, but I'm getting ready to start going back pretty soon hopefully.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I'm just curious, for people who've adopted their kitties from shelters or rescues, do yiu keep in touch with your cat's foster (if they had one)?

For me, we follow each other on insta and text once in a while. Sometimes she asks me how he's been if we haven't talked in a while and it's really nice to know how loved my boy was in his time in their home. It also means I get to see lots of cute pics of the newborn kittensthey have now!
Almost all of the cats in my life have been rescued by me or other family members from "the street." A couple have been adopted from others. But in one case, we were able to get a cat we rescued and unsuccessfully treated for a skin problem in to Best Friends in Utah, from where he was adopted by a wonderful woman. I had asked that, if possible, the adopter contact me and stay in touch, which is exactly what happened. We remain friends to this day, even though her sweet boy has passed.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never met Flora's fosters because of COVID but they follow me on Instagram. Remy and Maisie lived at a pet food store so I used to periodically stop in and update the staff about them, but I haven't in 2 years. I do update the rescue about all of them because they like getting alumni updates.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i talk to the petsmart workers who took care of graycie before we adoptred her when i see them during my monthly supply of cat stuff:lol: i am easy to remember cause i always leave piled full of stuff ontop of me in my wheel chair

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Ours doesn't allow contact. But I find the lady who adopted my 2 cats. I had to rehome. She did send me a couple pictures/video. I peak at her FB occasionally to see any updates

UnoMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s early days, but yes I’m in touch with bandits foster mom. She genuinely loved him and is happy to get pictures and updates. I do plan on sending her them as long as I can

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the last years I fostered a few kittens that have been adopted out later. Only a couple of these new families keep in touch regularly, and I'm very happy about it, because I can see the progress and how they are growing.
I'm disappointed at the fact that others are so hard to get in touch with. They promised to submerge me with photos and news of the adopted kitten, but unless I ask them, they never send me a message.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are all rescue Cats but none of them had fosters that I know of, they were either owner surrenders or strays. I usually am the foster but nobody has contacted me about any of my rescues that have been adopted out. I even leave my email along with my phone# because I know a lot of people are more comfortable with email than phonecalls or texts. It's disappointing.

Mrsty1203

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If I had a chance to talk to the foster than had my cat for over a year, I would have wanted to know what the hell was wrong with her…. My cat had been ignored… had a bad case of worms, food allergies and IBS/IBD that we are still trying to sort out. Supposedly, she was the only cat in her care, along with her own dog. She never said a word to the rescue group about the cat’s diarrhea or bloody stool. I hope she is no longer a foster.