People who’s cats have allergies to specific litter, what symptoms did you notice.?

vsvpflex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Trying to analyze if my cats allergies could be litter related

Mini8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suspected my cat was allergic to grass litter. He developed scabs. I switched him back to corn litter and his scabs are finally healing. I did not suspect food allergies because he’s a kitten and my vet said kittens are too young to develop food allergies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vsvpflex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suspected my cat was allergic to grass litter. He developed scabs. I switched him back to corn litter and his scabs are finally healing. I did not suspect food allergies because he’s a kitten and my vet said kittens are too young to develop food allergies.
My cat is currently on prednisolone and in the process of changing over to a hyper allergenic food. Main areas of concern are his paw pads, and the “hocks” on his back legs. He has missing fur on his back hocks, and his paw pads get exceptionally dry if I don’t regularly balm them. Wanting to ride out the food trial to see if we notice improvement or change, but also curious if litter could be a factor. He was itching other places as well prior to being put on prednisolone, but the main focus areas are his feet and the back of his back legs, which are both areas that make direct contact with his litter while in the litter box

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat is currently on prednisolone and in the process of changing over to a hyper allergenic food. Main areas of concern are his paw pads, and the “hocks” on his back legs. He has missing fur on his back hocks, and his paw pads get exceptionally dry if I don’t regularly balm them. Wanting to ride out the food trial to see if we notice improvement or change, but also curious if litter could be a factor. He was itching other places as well prior to being put on prednisolone, but the main focus areas are his feet and the back of his back legs, which are both areas that make direct contact with his litter while in the litter box
That does sound suspiciously like a litter sensitivity. Here is another thread about litter allergies that might help: I think my cat is allergic to litter

Have you tried switching to a different type of litter to see if that makes a difference? I don't know what you are currently using, whether or not it has a scent, etc., but it's definitely worth a try to switch, even though you are also doing a food trial.