People who don't like cats and dogs...

blinc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this trait... it seems that just about every person I've met who doesn't like cats or dogs, has a very "cold" personality. I'm not talking about people who are allergic and can't be around pets. I'm talking about people who, by what I call a personality flaw,
don't LIKE pets! Has anyone else noticed their lack of warmth for all things?

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I think you are right, most people who don't like dogs or cats or other pets, are generally self centered and don't do so well in their relationships with other people either. To be able to truley love someone, I beleive the heart has to have the capacity to also love the little creatures God put here on earth for us to love and nurture.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think this may be generally true, but of course there are always exceptions.

Also, some people will tell you that they absolutely adore cats and dogs (or at lease cats OR dogs
) but when it really comes down to it, they wouldn't do anything for their pet. Many of these are the people who constantly abandon unwanted cats and dogs in the streets. They got them in the first place because they "just loved" that "sweet puppy", but are not willing to deal with any hardships.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are right, and that is very sad....it makes me so mad when people dump out their pets....my dog Sruffy was dumped out by someone and he was wandering around where I work, and starving. I brought him home, and even though he's not a real attractive dog, he is my sweetie....I love him to death. We could also tell he had been abused, and at first he wouldnt go near men, only women, so we figure a man abused him. He is much better now...I got him in about March of this year, so he is very used to us now, and I adore him.

dude111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by blinc

Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this trait... it seems that just about every person I've met who doesn't like cats or dogs, has a very "cold" personality.
Yes i know someone like this!!

Doesnt like animals AT ALL!!

One day he was @ my house visiting my brother and he said to 1 of my greyhounds something to the affect "You should be dead" .. I couldnt believe it!! (I miss my greyhounds (One was abused before we got her,poor "lady" (I had 2 (Other ones name was "Tabitha"))))

He doesnt have a very nice personality either as blinc mentions in ppl like this.... I wonder if he is an athiest!! (I havent ever asked)

I couldnt love animals MORE THAN I DO!!

Meow
Growl
Hiss

ladyhitchhiker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It comes down to this, there's an old saying, "you don't trust people who don't like animals, don't like music and can't laugh". Don't know if you have ever heard it but it's around our area, and I believe in it.

To stereotype you don't like cats? Well that's just as bad as saying you don't like people. Cats are just as different as people, and so I don't really trust people who don't like cats.

And saying you don't like dogs? well I could understand not wanting to take a dog out to go to the bathroom or maybe you don't like walking and don't like to walk a dog, but they are so giving, how could you just not like dogs and not want to be around them?

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've noticed it as well. People who don't like animals usually (from who I've come across) don't like children either and are, usually, loners.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To tell you the truth I only know one person who doesn't like aniamls and I stay away from her. I think most people either like or love aniamls, of course there are the nutcases who hate them and hurt them. As far as the people I know, they all love them.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Always felt there is something fundamentally wrong with people who don't like animals.

I wouldn't say that atheists don't like animals. I know of atheists who love animals.

Me, I'm Pagan and love all animals and wildlife

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I absolutely judge people on their attitude towards animals, always have. I mean, what's not to love? Animals are so innocent and love so purely and unconditionally.
If only more people were that way.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

I mean, what's not to love? Animals are so innocent and love so purely and unconditionally.
If only more people were that way.
That's exactly how I feel, its the reason I love animals. They don't care who you are, what you look like, or the things you have. If they love you, they love you for who you are, which isn't true of most people. If more people were like that, I wouldn't hate most people..

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KiTTYL0VE4

That's exactly how I feel, its the reason I love animals. They don't care who you are, what you look like, or the things you have. If they love you, they love you for who you are, which isn't true of most people. If more people were like that, I wouldn't hate most people..
It is my belief that animals love at a spiritual level, that they see right into our very souls, that they know who is good and kind and who are evil.

Take one of my dogs for example.

Buddy, a gorgeous German Shepherd.

Sweet Buddy was badly beaten as a pup (he was the centre of a big cruelty case). He has a deformed ear as a result. He, naturally, was terrified of humans, especially men. The foster carers worked with him and he was able to be adopted. I saw his picture on the internet and fell in love with him there and then. He looked so sad - and he was only a baby

We set about adopting him. We were warned that he could be a bit iffy with men, but he took an instant liking to my husband. I believe Buddy saw into my husband's soul and saw a good person (well, when he isn't driving me up the wall - you know what men are like
) and Buddy has come on in leaps and bounds.

If Buddy doesn't like someone, then I don't either because you can guarantee that there is something not quite right with that person.

I would trust my dog's instincts implicitly - the same goes with the cats too. If they don't like someone, there is a good reason and I take notice.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My best friend is a Christian. She is the most unselfish person I have ever known. She would give me anything or do anything for me. She does not love animals. She lives about six miles from me. When I am gone she will drive over to my home two times a day and take care of my cats. When Max got sick and we lost him in 2005, she gave me a Hibiscus plant to put beside my porch and named it the Max Tree. It comes back every year. She did a framed photo collage of his pictures. But she doesn't love animals. Her husband tried to have a cat earlier this year, but they gave it back to the daughter. It just didn't work out. In spite of hearing her say, she doesn't love animals, she still understands how much I love my cats and that they are like my children. I think a lot of how we feel about animals depends on if we grew up with animals and if our parents loved animals. In my friends case, both answers are no.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there is too much generalization here. Or maybe I am reading too much into the original question.

My brother and sister in law (his wife) do not have pets. They do not want pets. They like their house to be just so. They prefer to be unencumbered of such responsibility.

However they love all the pets in the family, my sisters' dogs, my cats. They wouldn't like having pets, but they are warm caring loving people and understand the bond between pets and people.

PS my brother grew up surrounded by cats.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely too much stereotyping.. I happen to be an atheist and I am an animal lover - all kinds of animals, not just the furry cute ones that everyone means when they claim to be animal lovers.

Lots of people come off as nice friendly people and to them animals are "just animals". Lots of people come off as colder or more reserved, but are animal lovers. And still more people are quite adept at acting and lying so stereotyping someone who you don't truly know usually fails.

I tend to come off as colder and reserved, and am very introverted. That's simply because I'm not particularly fond of people, especially those who make silly accusations like in this thread. Animals, however, never do. They're honest and far better company.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dude111

Yes i know someone like this!!

Doesnt like animals AT ALL!!

One day he was @ my house visiting my brother and he said to 1 of my greyhounds something to the affect "You should be dead" .. I couldnt believe it!! (I miss my greyhounds (One was abused before we got her,poor "lady" (I had 2 (Other ones name was "Tabitha"))))

He doesnt have a very nice personality either as blinc mentions in ppl like this.... I wonder if he is an athiest!! (I havent ever asked)

I couldnt love animals MORE THAN I DO!!

Meow
Growl
Hiss

I just noticed something. This thread is TEN years old and had not had a post since Novemeber 25, 2000, until it was revived this morning. weird.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I just noticed something. This thread is TEN years old and had not had a post since Novemeber 25, 2000, until it was revived this morning. weird.
It happens on forums sometimes. Apparently the reviver knows how to used the search function, which you really can't complain about.

A lot of other forums have rules about creating too many new threads about the same thing.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueyedgirl5946

I think a lot of how we feel about animals depends on if we grew up with animals and if our parents loved animals. In my friends case, both answers are no.
As a child I wasn't allowed to keep any pets. I so wanted a cat. My mother wouldn't have any animal in the house. My father would have had a dog (he liked dogs) but the one time we nearly did get a dog, Mum threatened to walk out on Dad - and she meant it. I won two goldfish at the local funfair. I had a really hard job to get Mum to let me keep the goldfish. I had them for several years.

It wasn't until Mum was in her 70s, and had got used to my menagerie that she softened a little. Strangely, she would stroke my cat with the back of one finger, almost as if she was expecting to catch something nasty from her.

It was really strange the way she was with animals, yet she couldn't stand cruelty to animals in any way, shape or form.

As soon as I left home and set up home, the first thing I did was get a cat.

I have many pets now. 10 cats (soon to be 11 - I don't know why, but I always seem to have 11 cats), 2 dogs and 19 snakes.

I will never be wealthy in the material sense, but I am very rich in other ways

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

It happens on forums sometimes. Apparently the reviver knows how to used the search function, which you really can't complain about.

A lot of other forums have rules about creating too many new threads about the same thing.
I know. I think people should create their own threads about an issue regardless of how many other threads there are already. Every case is different and every cat deserves his or her own thread.

Also, threads get too long, people stop reading them, and can take forever to load, if you have an old computer and/or dial up.

In addition, the more threads there are on a subject, the more likely TCS will show up on the first page of the search.

It just seemed odd to me, this one, though...what kind of search would bring this old thing up.