People who don't like cats and dogs...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

In addition, the more threads there are on a subject, the more likely TCS will show up on the first page of the search.
I certainly hope threads from this forum show up when using the search function on this forum... The admins would have serious problems on their hands if it suddenly started pulling results for elsewhere.

Some threads really do not need to be repeated 2-3 times a day, nearly every day. If one wants general opinion on declawing, for example, they can read the forum rules and use the search - it will spare them from flames. Other things like various lists of foods are good to search for on here, as well. People get tired of repeating themselves and people leave - or may in the near future. A lot of great information can be found by double checking first. A good example of this is how a lot of people will just link to the already very detailed introduction thread. It's also the point of having stickies - though I don't know if people even bother to read many of them.
Which is too bad, hissy and Anne did a good thorough job on them.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I certainly hope threads from this forum show up when using the search function on this forum... The admins would have serious problems on their hands if it suddenly started pulling results for elsewhere.
Silly
That's not what I meant! You know, a google search.

Some threads really do not need to be repeated 2-3 times a day, nearly every day. If one wants general opinion on declawing, for example, they can read the forum rules and use the search - it will spare them from flames. Other things like various lists of foods are good to search for on here, as well. People get tired of repeating themselves and people leave - or may in the near future. A lot of great information can be found by double checking first. A good example of this is how a lot of people will just link to the already very detailed introduction thread. It's also the point of having stickies - though I don't know if people even bother to read many of them.
Again, not what I'm talking about.

If someone has a cat newly diagnosed...say with CRF...they should start their own thread. Why should someone's request for help be tacked on to someone else's thread? It makes no sense to me and, in my opinion comes on as very unfriendly if someone is told to "search the forum" rather than be given direct personal assistance.

I certainly would think twice about lingering in a place that was not willing to help me directly and personally.

Why would someone leave because they "get tired of repeating themselves"? Are we not here to help?

If someone doesn't want to share their knowledge on food and nutrition (for example), they don't have to post. But I believe people ought to have their own threads, every situation is different.

PS a tip for people who have a lot a knowledge on certain issues who "get tired of repeating themselves". Just keep a standard answer all written out and saved somewhere. When someone comes in for help, copy it over, and insert more personal comments where needed.

I do this with several things, such as my methods for medicating, giving sub q, harness training, and teeth brushing. It's quite handy.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Silly
That's not what I meant! You know, a google search.
The more popular stuff may come up on google, odd random stuff usually doesn't - the combination of words you'd have to put in is more specific or you just get some very odd results from elsewhere.

As for CRF, do or do not people usually point to the CRF sticky and tell them to read through it? (as well as suggest the yahoo group that is also mentioned in that sticky?)

I was referring to the behavior threads about kittens getting too rough, peeing, intros, etc - see the aggression towards people sticky
The peeing sticky and the catch all behavior issue sticky. They're great threads with some unique answers given by people who quit the forum years ago. I don't believe anyone, especially people who want a simple answer right now*, ever reads them.

(*you know the types that will argue that the cat is just mad and could never have a UTI)