People say animals help reduce stress

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Am I the only one that is more stressed out when having animals? I'm not even able to find the right medication for all the stress and anxiety I have caring for my indoor cat and my small feral colony of cats. I have always been a depressed person with bad anxiety but it has gotten so bad since dealing with the cats. I have lost any friends I had and family members stay far away from me.

I feel so alone and cry all the time because my group of cats have so many issues and I can't help them. My own indoor cat has so many health issues, she's allergic to just about everything and has IBD. I don't have one feral cat that isn't either scratching all the fur off or have swollen bottom lips. All this stress is getting to me and all I do every night is pray I go to sleep and never wake up.

It is so cold outside and the feral group has bald spots and thinning fur unlike most that are outside should have a nice thick winter coat right now. My indoor cat is scratching her face until it bleeds.

It's just never ending and I just want to stop having constant panic attacks and worrying so much. I would like to be like most people and have animals around that do reduce stress. I want to go back to being happy and smile like I used too. I love these cats but caring for them has made me so miserable.

Sorry, just having a meltdown right now and nobody to talk too.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety over caring for all these cats. It can be a lot of work and we all want what is best for them. But, if you are unable to provide the care they need, I suggest you contact someone who will help.

http://www.feralcatproject.org/  This is an organization in Washington state. Give them a call to see what they can do for your feral colony. If they can't help you, ask them for other resources that can!

Regarding your own cat, please, have her vetted to determine the cause of her scratching herself like that. It could be she has feline acne from eating from plastic dishes, or she might have ear mites or other parasites that are causing this behavior. You said your cat cat has so many allergies - among other health issues - how are they being treated? Talk with your vet as soon as possible. 

You need to take care of yourself so you are able to care for your cats. Also, your cat can detect your anxiety and that can have a direct effect on him/her, which could compromise his/her existing health issues.

My recommendations for now are: 

1. Contact the above organization regarding the ferals

2. Talk with your Vet regarding your indoor cat

3. Talk with your doctor regarding your personal anxiety issues. 

Taking these first steps will improve your mind-set in that your taking action toward helping all the cats and yourself! 

If you aren't in counseling, I strongly suggest you find someone to talk with! Taking pills for anxiety can be a necessity, but so is talking with someone to help you better understand what triggers it and how to cope and deal with it. 

As far as 'family and friends' are concerned - I went through the same thing several years ago when I was diagnosed with Major Depression. Ironically, they were all there willing to tell me to 'get over myself', but once they learned I was on anti-depressants and seeing a therapist, they all shunned me! I was, in their eyes, "psycho and dangerous"! LOL  It's unfortunate that SO many people are uneducated about mental health and that their negative reaction to it can actually exacerbate it. In reality (at least for me), it was best that they stepped out of my life momentarily. I learned about myself, my triggers, and that I could live comfortable with myself while I got treatment. 

Take a deep breath, count to 20 (more than once!) and make those phone calls. 

Keep us posted ...

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've already received some great advice, but I want to give you a hug. 

I think most of us have been where you are, sometime in our lives. You sound completely overwhelmed, I'm so sorry.

You know how the safety announcement in airplanes where they tell us to put the oxygen on ourselves first, then help others? We have to take care of ourselves first. If we pass out from lack of oxygen, we won't be able to help anybody else.

Try to do some things that make you feel better, little things help, too, remember baby steps are good. Watch a funny tv show or movie, read a good book (I love David Sedaris to lighten my mood), go outside in nature for a little while - it's very grounding - or take a walk, call up or visit (or meet for brunch) a close friend or relative you can talk to. Go to the library or bookstore and browse the "self help" section. Don't underestimate the power of the book! Reading about someone else who has been through the same thing, or worse, and came through the other side can be very inspiring. (We can find stories on the net, too, but sometimes it's good to have a reason to get out.)

If you like your doctor, set up an appointment and tell them what is going on. Surround yourself with people who make you feel better - tune out the others. Make sure you are eating quality food and sleeping. Do whatever you can to make yourself feel better, then do it again tomorrow and add another thing if you can. 

Most importantly, when you are thinking negative thoughts STOP! Change them around. Don't tell your brain negative things all day long, it's not a good thing to do. Switch the bad thoughts to good ones. "I will be able to do this." "I am strong." "I may have lost my footing, but I will find it again." Your brain will listen and will make it happen!

You are a good person, and the world really needs people like you.

You can turn this around, and start feeling like you are in control again. Don't be afraid to ask for help. You have more strength inside of you than you realize. 

Last edited: