Penny & Current Issues With Overpopulation

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
They saw a vet today because my outside cat Toby had an abcess inside of his ear that needed to be addressed, so she agreed to see them too.
I've got a lime sulpher bath and ear drops for mites, but she wanted to avoid metronidazole and suggested I first tried feeding them grain free food. They also got about 5 cc of SQ fluids just in case.
I can call back if it doesn't work and get metronidazole if symptoms persist.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay. I fear it is more than a food issue, but time will tell.

What is the lime sulphur bath for?

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay. I fear it is more than a food issue, but time will tell.

What is the lime sulphur bath for?
I think so too, but I suppose they've been medicated a lot.

The bath is for their skin issues, like ringworm or whatever it may be.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
The kittens might be eating as great as kings.
Buffalo, chicken, salmon, carrots, rice, and a frozen cube of KMR to help cool it.
Their stools are still soft but aren't runny, so I'll count that as a win for now. :catrub:
Nathaniel got adopted yesterday afternoon, with signed papers promising to have him vaccinated and neutered, either through myself or a clinic. Medication was sent home with him. I think he'll do well, he was adopted into a family with three children, so he's sure to not get bored. :lovecat2:

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
The kittens have T. foetus.
I was told the treatment was some drug not used in the US, or at least, I won't have access to it here.
I have a friend at the shelter, and she could give me metronidazole if needed, but will that cure them? I've been cleaning and disinfecting their litterboxes every day.

They're still on an easily digestible diet, turkey or chicken, buffalo or elk.
I'm afraid the babies aren't growing as big as they should be now. They all had an appointment for spaying/neutering next month, but I think I'll have to cancel.
Shabuda has grown thick, soft fur and has gained more weight than the three. He's still recovering from ringworm, so am I.

What can I do now? Is this just something they'll have to live with? I've had to bathe all three of them today. It'll make them harder to adopt out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should give the kittens the correct dose of metronidazole twice a day based on their weight. It should bring the T. foetus under control.

Ronidazole is a drug that is commonly used to eradicate T. foetus. The two are in the same family of drugs.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful news. Thank you.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
The two girls got adopted, their new names are Agnes and Mable. Love them.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Saturday the 3rd, I got the girls back for a spay.
They were spayed Friday, and Mable (aka Puma) had a tough time waking up. They had wet themselves after surgery and she was stiff cold when I brought them home. Lifeless. I warmed them up with a hot rice sock and a water bottle. They refused to eat anything I had to give them, and the 24 hour limit was nearly up. So I force fed them fish oil and chicken stock. They started waking up after this, and finally ate something. I got lucky with a can of fancy feast.
Now, they're doing much better. Even jumping on the couch, counters, and tabletops.
Mable has bruising above and below her spay site. It's an ugly purple-red bruise. I just noticed it now, at approximately 12 am. So I won't be calling the vet now.
it doesn't quite look like a hernia, but there is a sort of droop when I picked her up from her front paws to looks at it. A lump. But I've seen hernias, and I really don't think that's the issue, but I'd love some opinion from you, Sarthur2 Sarthur2 . It's not hot or red. Should I be worried?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bruising is from a cut vein that leaked blood, and although not common, is normal. A lump is also normal because there is swelling and dissolving stitches inside too. It will subside in about a week. If possible take a picture with your phone and take it into the vet to show them for reassurance it is normal. As long as they are acting normal now and eating, playing, everything will be alright. Hotness to the touch, it will feel warm because it is shaved, or any discharge that is thick and colored yellow or green is not normal and means infection. a clear, maybe slightly bloody discharge is also normal in small amounts.
It IS scary sometimes when they come home so changed, I'm glad everything sounds better now, all the luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree - they should be fine now. The "lump" can possibly take several months to disappear, but it will go away. It is common in females after a spay. Watch for any pus around the incision site that is not clear. It's possible they were given a bit more anesthesia than they needed, but they sound good now.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!