Penny & Current Issues With Overpopulation

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
They opted for no surgery, but they did put her under to check everything out. She's home now and still a bit loopy. Vet says to keep her in a quiet confined space for a few weeks. I'll update later in the week.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
She's fine, running and jumping and playing like she isn't in any pain. She's getting pretty fat, I've noticed. In another week or so she should be ready for her forever home. I've already advertised her adoption a week ago but quickly learned adults don't adopt as easily as kittens. Any ideas for adopting out in small towns?
My house is very full right now, I got a foster kitten about a week ago. He's about 6 weeks and has already found his family. They named him Nathaniel. IMG_20170906_134109_174.jpg He has the coolest eye patterns I've seen.
Another woman dropped off a barn kitten this morning along with canned KMR, that's what she'd been feeding him so I'll feed it to him as well. So far he's had a bath and a fecal test. He's about 3 or four weeks old. Very small and sickly looking. I've got Neomycin just in case, his eyes seem fine and there is no sneezing for the time being.
On top of Maggie, Nathaniel, and the new kitten I have two of my own cats. Wish me luck :lol:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens do much better on powdered KMR. You may want to switch for the sickly kitten. I hope he gets better soon under your care!

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
He's so sweet. He's having issues with bloody stool.
He also refuses the litter box and likes to poo and pee on the towel I feed him on.
Yesterday he weighed 11.7 ounces and this morning he weighs 12.3. 20170913_080910.jpg He has the ugliest little kitten butt I've ever seen. I laugh every time he turns away from me. Looks like he's missing quite a bit of fur on his back legs. No fleas, at least.
Think I'll have to deworm everyone in the house again. Yay.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is his bottom sore? Is his leg fur missing from urine burn?

Bloody stool is usually treated with albon or metronidazole as it is related to parasites or bacterial infection.

Can you get him to the vet for treatment?

He's a cutie! :catrub:

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
I sure can and will!
So...
Someone brought me three more kittens. I'm getting close to overwhelmed! Haha! Luckily for me and my boss Susie also brought me the biggest can of KMR I've seen, so they're all good there. I'm gonna start them on about .3 cc of penicillin each because they've all got some nasty owies. One's tail was bitten at the base, the other has a bad sore on his elbow, and they all have minor cuts and scrapes on their paws. Apparently, the lady who brought them to me had been feeding them cows milk. They're all terribly dehydrated. She didn't know that you have to stimulate kittens so young, either, they all had SO much urine in them. Each of them soaked four wads of toilet paper and even peed all over me! No poops yet. I imagine they had diarrhea and didn't need help to push that out.
I'm going to see about getting some fluids for them too. They're fluffy kittens but I think they're only about 3 weeks old. 20170913_114531.jpg

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
20170913_123828.jpg

This little guy is much smaller than the new three, but also much older. Poor boy, we'll get some meat on his bones.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, once they are hydrated and fed with formula their sores should heal quickly. The antibiotic is a good idea.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
20170914_112022.jpg 20170914_111945.jpg 20170915_124213.jpg
Everyone is doing well and gaining.
The three kittens' names are Junebug, Puma, and Peter Panther, formerly Jagg.
The tiny 5 week old is Shabudaquiqui ;)
And the orange guy is Nathaniel.
Nathaniel weighs 1lb 13 oz, he's been getting sick in the gut so I'm leaving him with a vet tech friend
Shabuda weighs about 14 oz, his poo issue has been resolved. No more canned KMR
The kittens weights yesterday were
Junebug: 510 grams (gained 65 g)
Puma: 445 g (gained 54)
Peter Panther: 459 (gained 46 g)
I'm doing some traveling this weekend and taking the bottle babies with me. It's been snowing all day long but after we leave town it should be fine, we're just in a bad spot for snow. Glad I got them when I did. It's been 30°F all day long.
Maggie is waiting on her home. There is a nice, big, no kill shelter in the city I'm traveling to and I plan on talking to them a bit about helping me adopt out all my fosters.
Junebug is the kitten with a scraped foot and injured tail. The necrotic tissue is falling off and i believe the penicillin is helping tremendously. She has the worst of the injuries.
Puma has some healing scabs on her ears and face. Pretty superficial, she's going to be okay.
Peter Panther has scabs on his paws and a couple on his face.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Snow! In September? In what state do you reside?

Glad the kittens are doing well. They are very cute!

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
20170918_093835.jpg
We're home!
The girls weren't taking well to the nipple anymore, so I bought a bunch of Max Cat kitten wet food before we left the city.
June did great, Puma ate a little, and Mr Peter Panther just wanted the nipple.
I also moved them into a more spacious room. I don't have a little playpen or the means to get them one, so they were moved into an empty walk-in closet with a baby gate. There is a light in there I'll keep on during the day. I also put dry kitten food in there with them and Puma ate that. The lady who had them before informed me she had been feeding them dry food as well. They have a litter box with natural clay litter, non clumping.
I bought about 7 cans of Turkey baby food to start weaning them, so I'll either continue to mix that with formula and syringe feed them about every four or five hours with it, and give them formula with the canned food about every three or so. I'm open to other other suggestions too!
So "the lady" is the same woman who has Penny. Penny has had her kittens maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago. She has not displayed interest in spaying her. I've also been informed she kept two of the same litter as my black kittens. She wouldn't let me take them because "they're her son's buddies". I'm a bit irritated with her. The kittens she has have not been stimulated or fed formula. She has them eating dry cat food and nothing else. She has dirt, from the ground, in a box that she has for them to relieve themselves in.
She is keeping them in her shed even after the temperatures have dropped below freezing. And they are babies, not toys for her 17 month old son.
The kittens she has have also been injured and I offered to give her formula and antibiotics for their eyes, ears, and cuts, she refused, saying, "I was just going to the store to buy them formula" and "I have that [neomycin] at home"
I don't understand why someone would refuse help like this.

As for updates with the other three fosters I have, Maggie is still waiting. Nathaniel ate some formula I had mixed up for the babies but I didn't think it would be a problem, it's the source of his icky stomach. He's feeling better. Nearly 2 pounds! ;)
Shabuda isn't gaining as fast as I would have liked, but he's doing well.
20170918_091202.jpg
20170918_085105.jpg
IMG_20170915_120324_639.jpg

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
good job with the babies, I have a family member I offered to get them medicine and spayed-they said nope. Ok well have fun with flea infested house and kittens that will be let go to anyone wanting one. I wanted one a few times and was told no several times. Well karma is a B and what comes around goes around I always say. Don't come crying to me in the future. Makes me so mad that they refuse to fix their females. One is ten years old. Supposedly the kittens all found homes..yeah right. More likely they were let out and something ate them. Some people are not trust worthy. And the sad part is this person is a family member-their partner tries to do the right thing by getting rid of excess animals and the family member played the I am not talking to you game for a month. Can you say immature?!! Makes me so MAD at people..hence why I like the country...AWAY from people..so I do understand your frustration!! It's so hard to step back and not say or do anything because we hate to see an animal suffer.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
How did the kittens get injured?

Why are the kittens in the shed and not the house?

That woman should not have animals.
We don't know, but they've been injured since I got the babies last week.
Do you have any advice for weaning?

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm just catching up with this thread now. I didn't know you were in Montana. Do you know about the book, The Inner Life of Cats? It came out earlier this year written by Thomas McNamee. He lives part time in Montana, I think just summers, the rest in San Francisco, but he used to be full time in Montana. It's a lovely book, mixture of narrative of his cat Augusta & more researched study of cats in general.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a mini epidemic of infections and worms going on.
Yesterday Junebug and big boy had great poops but today, every one of them including Shabudaquiqui and Nathaniel have bloody stool and diarrhea. The symptoms don't stop there either. My, my.
Bloody urine. And Nathaniel is vomiting. We traveled this weekend again to get Maggie michrochipped. I had to take all of them with me this time and I suppose I'm glad.
The separate litters haven't been exposed to one another except for Nathaniel and Shabuda. But they all have the same symptoms.
So I think when I brought Shabuda home he had worms and gave them to other kitties. They have been off penicillin for about 5 days now. I don't know what medicine to buy for dewormer for kittens I have so young, Sarthur? Or should I try to find a veterinarian around? I don't have a lot of money with me and my bank is locally owned. To treat 5 kittens and a cat might be a bit expensive.
I know they have worms, but I'm thinking infection too, with their bloody urine.