Penny & Current Issues With Overpopulation

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know it's hard, but be patient. Make sure she has a a safe place to give birth that doesn't allow the kittens to wander and that she has plenty of food and water. It is best if there isn't much activity either, but kitties generally love you being present while giving birth. They'll actually call out to you before giving birth so that you will come and be with them. It's incredible.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is normal. She should go into labor soon. Milk often comes in up to a week early. Try to be patient.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DeweytheLion

The Biggest Smallest Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could it be a false pregnancy even if she's producing milk?
Tonight she's acting strange but she had a bit of a stomach ache earlier, not vomit wise. Her stomach is completely gone, like nearly sunken. I got in contact with the people who gave her to me but they swear there's no way she could have had kittens. I'm not so sure. But if she did, they're probably starved by now. I'll be taking her to my boss tomorrow to see what she thinks then the vet. I just hope she's okay. She seems like she's in some pain, though there aren't any signs of labor. She keeps going to the same place, against the wall of my bathroom and bedroom, and went into the bathroom and just stood in the entrance a couple times. She won't go anywhere else which is strange because she prefers the living room. She put herself in a weird position, almost like a cat would if she were in heat, but her haunches were much farther in the air, like her back legs were straight and her tail wasn't to the side, she wasn't bouncing her back legs either. It's all so weird. The vet on the phone suggested she might have delivered stillborn and ate them but I really don't believe it. She isn't affectionate like she was yesterday either. Won't come to me when I call her or respond when I pet her head.

Also, her name is Mama Annie.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
She hissed and growled at me. She's really hurting. She's walking like she's in pain too, really slowly.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
DeweytheLion DeweytheLion

Can you get her to an emergency vet?

It sounds like she needs immediate medical intervention. She may have a kitten stuck in the birth canal.
I called three different times and there was no answer, we don't have any readily available here.
Mom seems to be pushing, can't tell for sure. Still in pain but she's calmed down. She hasn't eaten since maybe a bit after noon today, I tried offering her Sheba wet paté, it was the best ingredients I could find between 9 lives and Friskies. Guess we don't have a lot of options for wet food either. There was none meant for kittens.
I'm not sure what I can do at this point. She won't drink either.
She's not panting or making any noise. If she is pushing it's as little as she can manage. I don't want a dead kitten or a dead mama.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get her to a vet first thing in the morning?

Her labor appears to be unproductive. She'll need help.

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes of course.
My question still remains, can she still produce milk if it was a false pregnancy? Maybe there's something else going on.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Before going into true labor cats will pace, cry, shift a lot, and be very uncomfortable. Their babies drop down and their shape changes. Each cat is different, she may growl or hiss because she feels uncomfortable. Make sure she feels very secure and safe for now. If she had given birth she would probably have some kind of moisture or blood on her back-end. That's how I knew my kitty had given birth, as she was rubbing up against me and straining, acting very strange.
How is she this morning?

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
No kittens for mama now and no more future kittens either. The vet did an emergency c section and spay on the 14th. Today she went into heat oddly enough and we found a worm a little later.
Do I take her to the vet or buy some dewormer? What should I look for? I'd have to treat her and my indoor/outdoor cat.
She also had a name change to Maggie, after my favorite pest birds.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What happened? Last we heard you weren't sure if she was actually pregnant.

What kind of worm? Tiny, rice-like or long one?

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
What happened? Last we heard you weren't sure if she was actually pregnant.

What kind of worm? Tiny, rice-like or long one?
She had one fat kitten in her but it was dead when they started surgery. I don't know if it was stuck or tangled, they just told me she had a dead kitten.
They're rice-like I suppose, one was longer, still only about a half inch, but she has a couple currently stuck in the fur of her rear end that are rice sized. I'll take them out for her but not without gloves. Yuck.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry about the c-section and dead kitten. You did the right thing in getting her to the vet.

Those are tape worms that come from the cat ingesting a flea. She'll need praziquantel, which you can get from the vet. It's called Drontal. It's the tapeworm tablet.

She gets one now and another in 2 weeks.

She'll need a flea treatment too.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agree with the above, tapeworms.

I'm sorry about the kitty : ( I'm glad the momma is doing well and can finally rest and no more homeless kittens will come from her. She still has the hormones in her, they won't leave immediately, which is probably why she went into heat. In fact, some spayed animals still go into heat. Our dog does multiple times a year and she was spayed once and then rechecked a few years later to make sure nothing was missed!

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thought I should update.
She's going into surgery again today because two days ago a corgi walking with his owner in the morning barreled down my screen door and attacked her while she was bird watching. She got a few puncture wounds on her rear end and he tore the muscle in her back leg in two, which needs correcting. She's been sitting in the vets office since. I miss her. I'm hoping she can get her shots done too before she comes home.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The dog needs to be on a leash. That owner is responsible for this. Has anything been said by the dog's owner?

It sure does seem like you have had bad luck with cats. :(

DeweytheLion

Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he has answered. He offered to pay for the vets bill.
All except my own huh?
Maybe I should stop trying to save them all.
And there are leash laws here. The corgi wasn't on a leash of course.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope you accept the offer to pay the vet bill.

No need to stop saving them. It's just unbelievable all the bad luck you've had.

Has the cat had her surgery yet? Please let us know how she is. Poor mama kitty does not deserve this. She'll be in a fair amount of pain for awhile too.