PeePee problem

Kitty_the_elder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is using a certain area of my room as a litter box. When this happened before I put down enzyme cleaner and put a litter box at the site. He had a bladder infection and that when he stopped using his litter box and the puppy pee pads around it ( he’s 22 and prone to miss). If I clean the spot with enzyme cleaner is there anything I can put down ( like catnip) that would prevent him from peeing in that spot? Ps it’s largely under my bed and a nightstand.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not aware of anything you can put down to stop him from using that spot. You may need to clean it several times with the enzymatic cleaner to remove any lingering scent. If he is 22 he may have a difficult time getting in the box which is why he uses the floor. Maybe try a lower sided box.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can try placing tin foil over that area. Cat's supposedly don't like the feel of foil under their feet so wlll stay away from it. I know my cats hate the sound it makes. Or you could just put puppy pads under your bed for the old guy, I guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitty_the_elder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not aware of anything you can put down to stop him from using that spot. You may need to clean it several times with the enzymatic cleaner to remove any lingering scent. If he is 22 he may have a difficult time getting in the box which is why he uses the floor. Maybe try a lower sided box.
Thank you for responding! Yes that is a thought. He has no trouble going up and down the stairs to the bed and he has used the “pee pads” around his box for ages , but I think maybe something in the way the pads smell might have turned him off? Coupled with too high of a lip on the litter pan? I will probably switch out litter pans with the litter pan in the dining room that he never goes to now, it has a much lower lip and get rid of the pee pads for now. Thanks for responding!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitty_the_elder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can try placing tin foil over that area. Cat's supposedly don't like the feel of foil under their feet so wlll stay away from it. I know my cats hate the sound it makes. Or you could just put puppy pads under your bed for the old guy, I guess.
Thanks for responding I will try the tin foil for sure after I clean with enzyme, good idea!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat attract litter is a good litter. A lot of breeders use the kitten formula when litter box training. If you can't find the litter they do have an additive that you can sprinkle in your litter.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter and it comes in different varieties. I hope it helps.