Peeing

Lakek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello all,

I have a 7 month year old kitten who has never had any accidents. Recently these past couple weeks she’s been peeing on only my roommates dirty clothes and randomly on the floor only a couple times around the house. She’s spayed and her two litter boxes are cleaned frequently. I’m wondering if she might have a uti but I’m not sure....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Without a urinalysis/urine culture, there is no way for sure to tell. If you are one of the lucky ones who can catch some of her pee in a sterile container, you can seal it and bag it and refrigerate it for a few hours if need be before being able to take it into a vet's office for testing. You would have to confirm that the vet is OK with the process. You can also get a kit from the vet that contains urine testing pellets that you place in a clean litter box and then use a sterile syringe to draw out the urine. Also, seal, bag and refrigerate if necessary.

Other than that, kitty will need to be taken in to a vet and have urine taken for testing. You can also ask if an appointment is necessary - sometimes the vet techs will do it on shorter notice. Many times it is a matter of checking for urine in the bladder and then the vet/vet tech can gently squeeze the bladder to elicit a urine stream.

Ruling out changes that might have happened in your home recently that could have brought on stress, provoking the inappropriate peeing is something you might want to consider as well.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner got here first with all of the information I was marshalling as I read your post. I'd have that vet check done, as if this is the beginning of a UTI, delaying while you rule out environmental factors is just going to make it harder to treat...that is, unless you are aware of something RIGHT NOW that could have stressed her. In which case, let us know what that is, and we'll try to come up with an answer for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lakek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nothing has really changed this past month. My roommate has a puppy but the two have grown up together and get along fairly well. She doesn’t really pee a lot out of her litter box. It just has happened a couple times.
Just a concerned petparent

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is so seldom, I would bet she doesn't like something, something is stressing her out. new litter, new box? New cat in the neighbor hood she can see from the window? Maybe the puppy is getting older and a little too aggressive? She is marking things as hers to give comfort to mherself. Now you have to figure out why.....