Purraise
I’m at my wits end!!
my 2 year old neutered cat who just started peeing on everything
Took him to the vet, sure enough urine crystals
Switched all 5 cats to this super expensive Urinary cat food
Cat is still peeing!
Added 2 more cat boxes (6 now!) plus bought feliway Behavior plug in
He’s still peeing!! What can I do?
He’s now peed on fresh laundry, back packs, shoes, kitchen table, kids toys and play pen, closet
I have 5 cats and he’s the only one doing it
Please help me!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crystals usually don't cause a problem unless they get big enough to irritate the urethra or form stones in the bladder. Most are passed out with the urine. The number one remedy is to increase water consumption and the diet. Since you have changed the diet work on the water. Get a fountain, place several small bowls of water around to make them curious and check it out, then they usually take a drink. Put water in a snack such as tuna or salmon. Get one of the many urinary care treats and gels offered on Amazon or in most pet sections of stores such as Tractor supply. Walmart, Chewy, etc. If you are doing all that and he continues to spray it is because something is changed and he is marking to comfort himself and establish his 'claim' on things in the house. My neutered male started it when we moved and he spotted strange cats in the back yard. He did eventually stop when he became comfortable with their presence, but it took months. Is there a new cat in the house/neighborhood? Any thing new such as company, roomate, relatives, guests, neighbors etc, that come regularly? Construction, street work, dog in neighborhood, one of the other cats picking on him, or smells on you? New litter or box? (You might try several different litters). In teh meantime get a good cat urine specific enyme cleaner to help with cleanup. Give him a retreat high up for him to escape too, and encourage him to use it, he must be made to feel safe, Put clear carpet runner with the 'nubs' up to discourage him from favored spots, and try to give him extra comfort, treats and support. SOMETHING is really bothering him!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've no experience with cats and crystals, but wondering Is he squatting and peeing on those things instead of using the litter box? Or is he actually spraying? And is he peeing in the litter box at all?

How long has he been eating the new food? Is it a wet food, or dry? If wet, you can try adding a little bit of water to it, to get a bit more water in his system.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I presume there was a urinalysis performed to determine your cat had crystals? Was there any indication of inflammation and/or an infection? If there was an infection, was he put on any antibiotics? In many cases crystals can cause inflammation that can lead to an infection in the urinary tract. If there is an infection and it is not being treated, the inappropriate peeing will likely continue - not to mention additional, serious health issues associated with the infection. If a urine culture was not done at the time of the urinalysis to determine the best antibiotic to eradicate the infection, it won't be completely resolved.

If no infection was identified, I would still think there was inflammation somewhere in the urinary tract due to the irritation crystals can cause to the tissues. This can also cause inappropriate peeing. Did the vet suggest an anti-inflammatory?