Peeing/pooping

Mimitran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have a brown tabby named Oscar who is about 2 years old. Ever since I got him (age 9months) he’s only been one to poop once and pee only once or twice a day. If he’s acting like himself, can peeing once a day be normal? I feed him both dry and wet foods.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Eating different amount and type of food will result in the frequency of pooping and also in what form the poop is when the cat is doing his business and also depending on the digestive tract of the cat. Some have stronger system and some weaker. Some cats poop everyday while some once every two days and some once every three days.

Drinking more or less water each day also is the result of the frequency and about of pee. Kittens pee more as their bladders are not strong and they cannot hold their pee long and therefore they pee a few times a day.

Adult cats have a stronger bladder and they can hold their pee for a longer period. And therefore they may pee once a day with a very large clump and maybe overflowing to their feet or twice a day in a smaller clump.

As long as your cat is running, playing, eating, sleeping and doing the usual stuff and being his usual self, it is normal as what you describe.

If he cries and strains to pee and nothing comes out and going in and out of the litter box many many times or pee marble sized pee with pink tint, please bring him in to the vet ASAP as this is the condition of UTI which is very painful to them.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is like that too, a lot of times. She goes outside to the yard to pee and poop and not only holds it when it's raining outside but sometimes she just gets too lazy to go out. There are two different litter boxes and couple big house plants that I got just in case she needs to pee on a soil but she has never used them. She just holds it when she wants. Twice this year she held for 24-25 hours.

I'm not sure if it does any damage to their health -- I'm anxious about that too. But I know it makes some things about kidneys in blood test results, like Blood Urea Nitrogen unreliable. Unclear if it's because they are holding the pee or because they are more likely to be dehydrated when they are holding the pee. Don't do it like me, make sure the cat is well-hydrated and peed that day before taking in for a blood test. :-/

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby (15+ yo) has always been a once a day litterbox user - very efficient, as she went both ways in that one trip! That is until recently. She is more inclined to go twice a day now - I assume it is age related.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mimitran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whew! Thank you to everyone for the reassurance. My other cat used to go multiple times a day (pee and poop) so sometimes I’m weirded out. I had Oscar do labs and an abdominal X-ray once when he was sick with vomiting, and even at that time his kidney labs and everything looked normal. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something big :) you all are a great help!