Peeing outside of box

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So took my cat to the vet for possible uti. They couldn't get a urine sample due to her being so upset and would have to sedate her to do full exam and testing. The vet thought conservative and Started her on onsior for two days and amoxicillin and will see how she does the next few days. She's in and out of the litter box multiple times with quarter to dime size pees. I followed her downstairs because I was nervous and she squatted on the carpet right in front of me. She has never done that! We were gone all weekend with my mil checking in on her twice a day (she was fine on Friday when we left). First question :how long does it take for these meds to work so she's not constantly feeling the urge to pee? Does anyone have experience with onsior? And now what, she's probably peed elsewhere in the house and I have no idea where. Will she stop that behavior once she's better? She finally got full reign of the house but now I've been forced to put her back in her room at night when I can't watch her. I feel so bad about this but I am exhausted and need to get some sleep so unfortunately I have to do it. I don't want her peeing all over. So sad about this, I can't handle a peeing issue( my husband will have a fit if she continues this behavior after she is well). Any experiences with this/meds?????

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know anything about that particular med, but when my Ruby girl had a UTI, the vet gave her an antibiotics shot, and it took longer than I expected for her to stop going in the litter box several times a day and peeing just tiny amounts. I'm going to say 3 days, but I can't quite remember.

As for the possibility that she has peed in different spots in the house, you might consider getting a black light, that should identify the areas. Amazon.com : black light for pet urine detection

And also make sure you clean any areas you find with an enzyme cleaner to ensure the urine scent is completely removed.

How to Successfully Combat Cat Urine – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – TheCatSite Articles

Sending vibes that she feels better soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about that particular med, but when my Ruby girl had a UTI, the vet gave her an antibiotics shot, and it took longer than I expected for her to stop going in the litter box several times a day and peeing just tiny amounts. I'm going to say 3 days, but I can't quite remember.

As for the possibility that she has peed in different spots in the house, you might consider getting a black light, that should identify the areas. Amazon.com : black light for pet urine detection

And also make sure you clean any areas you find with an enzyme cleaner to ensure the urine scent is completely removed.

How to Successfully Combat Cat Urine – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – TheCatSite Articles

Sending vibes that she feels better soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thanks you! I ordered a blacklight off amazon and sprayed all the baseboards where she was sniffing around just in case. She is doing a little better but still frequent trips to the litter box and the amounts aren't great but a little better than yesterday. At least she's going. I talked to her regular vet today who I just switched to and he said by Wednesday there should be much improvement or then we have to go to plan b. I'm praying she gets better. She hated taking the meds but it has to be done!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... poor baby. Hopefully things will improve soon. :crossfingers:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have no direct experience with Onsior, but I do know it is an anti-inflammatory, so your vet suspects bladder inflammation in addition to the UTI. Most antibiotics take at least half as long as the prescribed dosage to start to see results. Normally, UTI antibiotics are prescribed for no less than 7 - 10 days at a time.

If the meds are pill form and can be crushed, or they are in liquid form, I always try to take the easy route and use one of the following to help with administration:
1.) Lickable treats, such as Applaws, Tiki Cat Stix, Vitakraft, Wholehearted, and Inaba Churu, just to name a few. Tiki Cat Mousse works well too.
2.) The 'juice' from canned tuna or chicken in water, with a piece of the meat as a treat afterward.
3.) Baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut - neither have any additives like onions, etc.).
Just mix the meds with a bit of one of them (just enough to make sure she ingests it all).

It may be in one of the above articles...but, I do know that blacklights can be misleading as I have read that they will also 'glow' with certain cleaners, and numerous other types of stains not necessarily related to urine. So, just be mindful of that while you are searching.

Hoping things get better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have no direct experience with Onsior, but I do know it is an anti-inflammatory, so your vet suspects bladder inflammation in addition to the UTI. Most antibiotics take at least half as long as the prescribed dosage to start to see results. Normally, UTI antibiotics are prescribed for no less than 7 - 10 days at a time.

If the meds are pill form and can be crushed, or they are in liquid form, I always try to take the easy route and use one of the following to help with administration:
1.) Lickable treats, such as Applaws, Tiki Cat Stix, Vitakraft, Wholehearted, and Inaba Churu, just to name a few. Tiki Cat Mousse works well too.
2.) The 'juice' from canned tuna or chicken in water, with a piece of the meat as a treat afterward.
3.) Baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut - neither have any additives like onions, etc.).
Just mix the meds with a bit of one of them (just enough to make sure she ingests it all).

It may be in one of the above articles...but, I do know that blacklights can be misleading as I have read that they will also 'glow' with certain cleaners, and numerous other types of stains not necessarily related to urine. So, just be mindful of that while you are searching.

Hoping things get better soon!
Yeah she is on the antibiotics for 7 days and the antiinflammatories for two. I can also give her liquid gabapentin for discomfort. So far I have been able to give the one med in her wet food. The antibiotics are trickier because I have to syringe it. My cat is very picky and doesn't really like lickable treats, tuna, or chicken so hopefully she continues to eat the wet food. Ive just been giving her a tiny amount to make sure she gets the med then feed her the rest. I also went and bought a feliway diffuser. I don't know if they do much good or how long they take to work but I've seen people mention them on here so I figured it would be worth a try. Maybe that would help her anxiety. Thanks for the ideas!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The antibiotics are trickier because I have to syringe it.
If that proves to become a problem, then try the baby food meat. I have yet to read about a cat who refused it! (So, you could be the first, if that were to be the case!!)
I also went and bought a feliway diffuser. I don't know if they do much good or how long they take to work but I've seen people mention them on here so I figured it would be worth a try.
Definitely worth a try! If you don't seem to think there is any result from it - and, it should be fairly quick, if it were to work, there are other diffusers to try. For whatever reason, not all of them work on all cats!