Peeing outside of box, wife pregnant...please help

kzee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My son and his wife have 2 male cats, 4 years old. They've been in their house for about a year, no prior problems. Two weeks ago, they found out they were pregnant with their first child AND the cats starting peeing outside their litterboxes. Over the course of 2 weeks, the cats have entirely stopped peeing in their boxes and only pee in the great room on the carpet, along the perimeters of the 4 walls. They still eliminate in the boxes. The only other change is that the cats haven't been going outside as it's gotten cold and snowed.

Stuff they've tried: Ruled out health problems with a vet visit, cleaned the carpet with two different enzymatic cleaners (Nature's Miracle and Hepper Advanced Bio), added Feliway calmers, added two more litter boxes to this room (other boxes are still in different room where they've always been), closed the shades to block outside view, and added a new bowl of food into this room.

The cats are still peeing there, the smell is awful, and they're at their wit's end. To top it off, my son came home from work today to find his wife on her hands and knee scrubbing with enzymatic cleaners. He is now also worried about toxoplasmosis as well as her exposure to the ammonia in the urine and the chemicals she is cleaning with.
Any advice is much appreciated.

EDIT: The vet said it's likely they smell the pregnancy hormones and think someone else is in the house?!?

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be due to something they are smelling or it could be that they sense some change in the household that they find unsettling. But it is unusual that both cats have started urinating or marking at the same time. Are they absolutely sure there hasn’t been a change to litter boxes, box placement or litter? It also might be a reaction to not being able to go out. if they are used to going out, maybe let them try it for a few minutes, cold or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kzee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be due to something they are smelling or it could be that they sense some change in the household that they find unsettling. But it is unusual that both cats have started urinating or marking at the same time. Are they absolutely sure there hasn’t been a change to litter boxes, box placement or litter? It also might be a reaction to not being able to go out. if they are used to going out, maybe let them try it for a few minutes, cold or not.
Thank you. They say definitely no other changes. One cat may have started it and the other then felt compelled? Do cats typically feel compelled to urinate or mark over another cat's scent?
I just asked about letting them out for a few minutes. He said the cats just stand there and refuse to go outside once it's below 40 degrees or so.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With no changes otherwise and with both cats having issues, then I think it's because of the pregnancy, whether in the literal sense like the vet is surmising, or because of stress one or both humans are feeling because of it, or both.

See if they can contain the cats in a room with several litterboxes so that cleanup is simpler (the cats will be fine for a little while 'til this gets squared away). Use disposable pee pads around the room that can be quickly picked up and put in a trash can with a lid so as to avoid exposure .

Start utilizing Cat Music and maybe try a different brand of calming products.

Last edited:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know if this is helpful BUT, when I was born, the family dog (yeah I know, dog) wouldn’t come out from under the sofa for a week, b/c mom talked to me in the same baby voice she’d reserved just for the dog, who was incredibly hurt and jealous. I don’t know if cats react in the same way, and of course all eyes and energy will be on the baby, but it might be helpful to make sure they reserve some “cat time,” where they are loved and stroked and talked to. I’d bet it’s the hormones….

kzee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With no changes otherwise and with both cats having issues, then I think it's because of the pregnancy, whether in the literal sense like the vet is surmising, or because of stress one or both humans are feeling because of it, or both.

See if they can contain the cats in a room with several litterboxes so that cleanup is simpler (the cats will be fine for a little while 'til this gets squared away). Use disposable pee pads around the room that can be quickly picked up and put in a trash can with a lid so as to avoid exposure .

Start utilizing Cat Music and maybe try a different brand of calming products.

kzee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response. Just googled cat music and found some great choices that I think might even help me relax! 😆