Peeing outside litterbox out of aggression

RooGos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a mainecoon named Mister, we've had him for 3 years. He normally goes outside during the night 2-4 times a week and asks to come in early in the morning. When I don't let him outside sometimes he pees right outside the litterbox as a protest. Recently on one of his adventures he encountered another cat and got scratched in the corner of his eye and forehead so he had to be on antibiotics and stay in side. It's been almost 2 weeks now with him not going out and he's become more aggressive with his peeing behavior. Just this morning he peed right next to my head on the bed while I was sleeping. I partner keeps saying she's done with him and I love him to death and don't know what to do..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RooGos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Side note: He's also been asking a lot more. Coming over to me giving me abnormal amounts of affection and when I get up he races to the backdoor asking to go out.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he might have a UTI or another urinary tract/kidney issue. You should take him to the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I presume Mister is neutered...on that assumption, he may be likely stressed from being denied his access to the outside. Stress can cause urinary issues, up to an including an infection. So, a vet visit might be in order just to have blood work done and a urinalysis/urine culture. If he is not neutered....well, you know the resolution to that one. If you have an area you can confine him to during the night while he is rehabilitating, that is where I would place him - while you wait to see if he has urinary issues brought on by stress.

Since your other cat is indoor only, you might want to consider making Mister an indoor only cat as well. How old is Mister? The older they get the less successful their life is going to be if allowed outside. Given what just happened to him, that also might be playing a factor. Get his health in order, and work from there in terms of getting him adapted to an indoor life. Extra entertainment, cat perches, cat trees - preferably by windows are just a few suggestions. If you have outdoor space to build a catio/cat enclosure, that might be an option to enable him outdoor time but being protected from other cats at the same time.

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door – TheCatSite Articles

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with war&wisdom war&wisdom . Have a urinalysis done. Males are more prone to have uti. Just to rule out why he is acting like that. Uti can be from stress

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know it feels like this is an act of aggression, but cats do not process that way. They just don't. Frustration which leads to stress is the usual actual culprit. And, with the issues he has been having, I'd not be surprised if he had developed a UTI secondary to the stress.

Are you in a situation where you can give him a catio? That would keep him safe and enclosed while also giving him some outside time.